Hella FF4000 compact xenon hid v led

tom-

Enlightened
We have two of these fantastic lights (xenon) on our bike-GS-and are wondering if the led version produces more/better (or mobetter) light. Absolutely no alternator/ballast or bulb issues, no issues of any kind just wondering if the led versions are better 'enough' to warrant consideration-for what we do candlepower is way more important than horsepower-these lights have either saved our lives or prevented massive injuries on at least three occasions.

blergh

Newly Enlightened
Current automotive LED tech isn't ready to surpass HID. An array of LED projectors get close (e.g. Acura MDX). Stick with HIDs I'd say.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
There are many (and more everyday) LED headlamps that surpass the performance of HIDs. That doesn't necessarily apply to any given comparison (such as the LED vs. HID versions of a given lamp in a given maker's product line) but the fact remains.

blergh

Newly Enlightened
So what exists for OP's bike? Yes I know about Koito Bi-LED projectors (and people trying to replicate it). Have current LEDs headlights surpassed bi-xenon (especially at distance lighting)?

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

Marcturus

Enlightened
We have two of these fantastic lights (xenon) on our bike-GS-and are wondering if the led version produces more/better (or mobetter) light.
Your candlepower versus horsepower idea is not really specific about what kind of riding you do. If the choice is purely Hella's somewhat narrow 11 W, slightly more intense LED version, or your very useful 35 W HIDs, I'd say: For now, keep what you've got. If mainly suffering from equipment boredom, just get fresh hid capsules recommended elsewhere on this forum. (And slow down or whatever makes your survival less reliant on using just the best and brightest lamps.)