Recommendation for camping and bears..and general use.

Arc7271

Newly Enlightened
Hi I am looking into buying a flashlight for use when camping, seeing a wide view around 150 yards , deer / animal spotting. Also would like to be able to control beam brightness and narrow the view down as well. I have read some on the Acebeam k60 and k70, but I am not sure if it is overkill. For the most part, it'll be used for seeing deep into the woods at night. Any thoughts/ recommendations are appreciated!

Wendee

Enlightened
Hi I am looking into buying a flashlight for use when camping, seeing a wide view around 150 yards , deer / animal spotting. Also would like to be able to control beam brightness and narrow the view down as well. I have read some on the Acebeam k60 and k70, but I am not sure if it is overkill. For the most part, it'll be used for seeing deep into the woods at night. Any thoughts/ recommendations are appreciated!
Hello Arc7271 & welcome! :welcome:

This is exactly what I've been searching for as well. I have ordered a few 18650 flashlights but haven't yet received them, so I can't officially recommend them yet (since I haven't tried them myself in the woods).

I have received a Thrunite TN4A which is a great flashlight. It takes 4x AA batteries. You should read a few reviews (and posts) and watch a few YouTube videos of this light. Oh, and I found both a lantern and diffuser for it (I posted a thread about that) so it will serve us well inside our cabin as well as outside.

I'd like to buy a high lumen output flashlight (+3000 lumens) to check for bears etc, but I'm wondering if it would be overkill. Although, I've read that the output has to be 4x more to appear 2x as bright. So, 4000 lumens would only seem twice as bright as 1000 lumens? Maybe an experienced CPF member could answer that. I'm still new and learning.

I'll subscribe to this thread to see what other's suggest you buy. Thanks for posting this! :)

Arc7271

Newly Enlightened
Thanks ! We are going on vacation in the NC mountains this summer and bears are very prevalent in the area...so I'd like to be prepared. I want to see them before they see me. Plus, I'd like to have a flashlight in my car so I can spot deer etc in the fields by my home... I will check out the models you suggested as well. 😄

This is exactly what I've been searching for as well. I have ordered a few 18650 flashlights but haven't yet received them, so I can't officially recommend them yet (since I haven't tried them myself in the woods).

I have received a Thrunite TN4A which is a great flashlight. It takes 4x AA batteries. You should read a few reviews (and posts) and watch a few YouTube videos of this light. Oh, and I found both a lantern and diffuser for it (I posted a thread about that) so it will serve us well inside our cabin as well as outside.

I'd like to buy a high lumen output flashlight (+3000 lumens) to check for bears etc, but I'm wondering if it would be overkill. Although, I've read that the output has to be 4x more to appear 2x as bright. So, 4000 lumens would only seem twice as bright as 1000 lumens? Maybe an experienced CPF member could answer that. I'm still new and learning.

I'll subscribe to this thread to see what other's suggest you buy. Thanks for posting this! :)

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
The G700! Specifically for blinding bears because my post on Facebook says so! So bright that it will soon be banned by the police, and no bigger than a $10 Chinese flashlight that you see on eBay. What can go wrong with that? :D

Now to be serious. Welcome Arc7271! How important is it to narrow/focus the beam? This cuts down most options, including the K60 and K70, which are fixed beam but multi mode ( brightness).
They are also big lights! Not so good for carrying a long way.

Personally, I have an Olight SR52UT ( mine is current boosted) and it's a very compact 3 x 18650 light. Perhaps check that out as a starting point, though it's not a wide view. [emoji106]

Arc7271

Newly Enlightened
The G700! Specifically for blinding bears because my post on Facebook says so! So bright that it will soon be banned by the police, and no bigger than a $10 Chinese flashlight that you see on eBay. What can go wrong with that? :D

Now to be serious. Welcome Arc7271! How important is it to narrow/focus the beam? This cuts down most options, including the K60 and K70, which are fixed beam but multi mode ( brightness).
They are also big lights! Not so good for carrying a long way.

Personally, I have an Olight SR52UT ( mine is current boosted) and it's a very compact 3 x 18650 light. Perhaps check that out as a starting point, though it's not a wide view. [emoji106]

Hi ! Thanks for the welcome 🙂 I don't think that narrowing down the focus is going to be a huge deal breaker. It would be a nice feature but I think being able to cover a wide area for a good distance is the most important part. Yes I saw a video and the K60 and K70 seem pretty large too. I have a yard that covers about 200 yards. I'd like to be able to stand at the house and see down into the wood line. I have ( don't laugh) a Dinotte lighting bicycle light that is 700 lumens that I use now for lighting up the yard. It does pretty good but I'm looking for more power !!!! 😁

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Nitecore TM16GT or a modified light by Vinh, with a XHP70 LED installed. Pricey but lights everything at two hundred yards.

Poppy

Flashaholic
A Nitecore TM16GT or a modified light by Vinh, with a XHP70 LED installed. Pricey but lights everything at two hundred yards.
Undoubtedly, you are going to need a big light. A bear will look like a dark shadow in the woods at 200 hundred yards, and if he is only 30 feet into the woods, and isn't moving, I imagine, that you may not see him even with a big light.

Arc7271

Newly Enlightened
Wow...so many to choose from. Thanks for the recommendations so far... I still have some time before the trip...so I will look forward to more input on this forum ! ��

Arc7271

Newly Enlightened
Undoubtedly, you are going to need a big light. A bear will look like a dark shadow in the woods at 200 hundred yards, and if he is only 30 feet into the woods, and isn't moving, I imagine, that you may not see him even with a big light.

True...the good thing is the cabin is somewhat protected by a steep drop on one side and straight up on the other... Less opportunity for things to sneak up on you. The bad thing is that it's in the dense North Carolina mountains in black bear country ..lol. I don't plan on doing much outside at night other than letting the dog out to potty.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not arguing. To me, a big light gets deep into the shadows. If it can hide at two hundred yards, my opinion, it's not a big light. Maybe buy a modded light but darn it, there are heat issues and because of heat issues, one doesn't have extended play on turbo.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome! I am an avid backpacker. I've been on many multi-day trips throughout the eastern US, including the Smokies. Of course I cannot carry a big light.

Bit it sounds like you are at home (rural woodsy location) or car camping. Size is therefore no limit and you want as much light as possible. By the way, budget just scampered away into the woods! :)

T6vn (Spec 1) $255 +$36 for batteries
http://skylumen.com/collections/v54-lights/products/t6vn-favorite-high-output-thrower

This is my favorite flashlight for use at my very rural house which abuts the White Mountain National Forest in New Hampshire. If I used it at my urban home near Miami, FL, I would most likely get arrested. LOL.

Mr. Vinh Nguyen, who makes the custom light linked above, actually makes two more powerful lights that are much larger, require 6 batteries and cost hundreds more. If you're the type to go big or go home, check out X60vn and RC40vn on that same website.

Whatever you end up with, post some beamshots here on the forum. It sounds like you have a great backdrop for some nice ones! Happy hunting!

SAMongoose

Enlightened

Wendee...you know where to get high lumens...sitting in the LOUNGE...:grin2:

tom-

Enlightened
Arc, my needs were/are similar to yours and I 'think' the Fenix LD60 which I received recently but have not had time to test is the answer-the ld60 (discontinued but still available); TK22 and TK35UE have to be three of the best for our needs. Check out the reviews/beam shots on selfbuilt/goinggear & good luck.

SAMongoose

Enlightened
Thanks ! We are going on vacation in the NC mountains this summer and bears are very prevalent in the area...so I'd like to be prepared. I want to see them before they see me. Plus, I'd like to have a flashlight in my car so I can spot deer etc in the fields by my home... I will check out the models you suggested as well. 😄
Yeah Arc..the K60 gives larger flood...K70 more throw.
You must decide on size cause K60 is 'heavy' 770grams(batteries incl.)

Arc7271

Newly Enlightened
Ok everyone...so I came across a deal I could not pass up....so I got the Fenix TK35UE. I was looking for a more powerful light but I think this one will do for now. I can totally see how acquiring these lights can get addicting !!!! Thanks to everyone for all the input..and I will keep all of the other suggestions in mind as I think I will be getting another light soon, but for now it's the Fenix. We will see how it does !

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
For bears you need this sort of a flashlight:

09cf41cc9d97d464b903b9c6a0f252c5.jpg

Otherwise you are just food.