Incan war: mag solitaire vs streamlight key-mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Being the incan Streamlight Key-Mate is long gone, yet the incan Solitaire is still being made I chose the 'budget' section to showcase a pair of sub $10 lights.

The Solitaire is an under rated little light that to this day does a great job when only a little bit of light is needed. But that Key-Mate, (although was basically a Solitaire rip off....at least according to Maglite.) was a fierce competitor for a few minutes of history.

Point is they were similar, but the Key-Mate differed in it's approach.

Shows the differing approach used by both.
The Mag used a simple push/pull internal mechanism in the center.
The Streamlight uses a side mounted number that generally serves the same function.

Streamlight used a sorta external not so user servicable approach.

Win for Maglite.

The Mag has a removable tailcap. Streamlight had a solid body with a front load approach.

To insert a new cell in the Mag is easy and quick. Twist off rear cap and insert cell.
Streamlight had you remove the light assembly that was held in by a tiny (easy to lose) pin.

A clumsy approach in darkness outdoors. You push in and twist the light assembly and hope the loose fitting pin don't fall out.

Win Maglite.

When head is removed in both lights it's on. Great mule.
But with the Mag you can remove the tailcap to have it turned off when changing bulbs. Not the case with Streamlights approach.

Win Mag.

One hand operation by the Mag is a simple, user friendly approach. Location of an o-ring on the Streamlight causes a stiffness but in real world cases not that much more difficult.
But...a quarter rotation takes the Streamlight from off to spot with a nice (bulls eye beam) spill in between.
The Mag requires a full rotation to get to spot. In one handed scenarios that's 3-4 twists.

Hmmm, I think win goes to Streamlight here.

Water tight on the Streamlight consists of one fat o-ring vs 2 potential points of entry on the Mag.
The Streamlight has a gasket between the lens and reflector. If the Mag does it's unseen.

Win Streamlight.

For tailstand both do well. Surface area on the Streamlight is wider and flatter.

Win Streamlight.

For tailstand with wrist lanyard the side approach to the Mag allows the lanyard to be looped without interfering with tailstand. The hole through the body of the Streamlight has potential for the lanyard loop to be across the tail.
The Mag allows a 8mm split ring to hold the lanyard. The Streamlight approach requires one at least 16mm.

Win Mag, but who uses a lanyard on a 1aaa light?

A microstream pocket clip will fit either light. But the slightly larger girth of the Key-Mate requires it be stretched and scratches the heck out of the HA type 2 finish. Mag has the same type finish.

Tie goes to both.

The Mag disappears in your pocket a bit easier.
Both have plastic lenses.
Both put out about 2 lumens.
And both are slippery with wet hands.

The Mag has the cell inserted normal as in button to head. The Streamlight has you insert the cell backwards. Button goes tail down.

Again the Mag is more of a typical configuration most folks are used to.

Win Mag.

But...it's a flashlight. And with that goes light output. So all the wins added up so far have Mag way out front. But in a NASCAR race nobody remembers who won the Daytona 499. It's the final lap that counts the most.
And with flashlights lap 500 is the beam.

So here we are at the start finish on lap 499

And the beams are side by side in door to door action with one lap to go....

And your winner by a mile...
The Key-Mate.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I scored the Key-Mate off eBay for $10 and spent a few hours removing alkaleak residue. It is a long since forgotten little flashlight that has withstood the test of time. But bulbs and parts are pretty scarce. A Solitaire bulb works great in it. And if the pin that holds the assembly in gets lost a hunk of paper clip will do. Finding switch parts would be a drag though.
Long term storage should be done with no cell in it. I have not tried a lithium in it.
It should be kept at room temperature as much as possible to thwart alkaleak. Only top quality cells like the copper top bunny or rayovac should be used.
I've had good service from a cache of Radio Shack aaa's. So they go in my 'special' lights like this one.

If you have one or can find one, these things beat the pants off a solitaire in beam quailty partly through Streamlight bulbs and partly through their reflector system.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave up on the old incan solitaire as soon as the white photons came out....2 lumens just wasn't cutting it for me. Now I'm carrying a LED solitaire: 37 lumens (47 lumens on the newer ones I think?) running on a eneloop - very useful little 1AAA key chain light.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I forgot the name of a guy on CPF years ago. Muduke or something like that. I think he left in a huff after the admin put her foot down on some rabid brand fanboyish behavior. Maybe Fenix was the brand, it doesn't really matter. His signature line said something to the effect an incan Solitaire had less run time and lumens than a match. I am inclined to agree.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an incan solitaire somewhere. It is the only Maglite I have ever purchased that I did not like. Sorry, but I think it is a terrible light with one of the worst beams I have ever seen. Mine was unusable.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I have an incan solitaire somewhere. It is the only Maglite I have ever purchased that I did not like. Sorry, but I think it is a terrible light with one of the worst beams I have ever seen. Mine was unusable.

I think it wildly sucks as an actual light but is kinda fun to play with. It's warm tinted after all! :) This thread was an enjoyable read.

ven

Flashaholic
Just found my solitaire! .............well its part of Callums collection now. Must have had it at least 20yrs as it used to be on my car keys back in the mid 90's(geee i feel old :laughing:) . Guess what! still works and its the longest owned light i have had.................by a decade!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
They are pretty durable.

I get that they are dim. But they're made that way. Not for lighting a warehouse. But at the time they were introduced they were 1aa bright in a 1aaa size.

For a noticeably better beam (read artifact free) if you can find them Brinkmann Legend 1aaa or Streamlight Key-Mate bulbs are the ticket.
The Key-Mate aint easy to find. Plenty of Brinkmann are still out there.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would just get a Solitaire LED. Still cheap and no ugly brown beam! :faint: Sorry, I am just not a fan of icans!! :p

PocketLight88

Newly Enlightened
I have the solitaire led and it surprises me every time I twist it on! Plus it's cheap so I don't have to sweat it if I lose it.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If there was a boost circuit and put out Mini Mag output, I would have considered it back in 2004 when I joined this forum

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember when I got my incan mag solitaire back when they first came out.

I was very impressed with the high quality feel. Unfortunately, the actual output left a LOT to be desired. The light had a focusing reflector with 2 modes:

• "Donut" - this mode produced a donut shaped beam pattern of extremely dim yellow light. Pretty much completely useless.
  • "Spot" - this mode focused all the light into a tiny spot. It was bright enough to illuminate the keyhole on a door from about 1 foot away. Not much use for anything else.

Personally, I found the output too low to be useful. I EDC'd the pen-sized 2xAAA incan maglight instead as it had a much brighter and more useful beam.

Status
Not open for further replies.