Niteye r16 burn in smoke

mrheosuper

Newly Enlightened
This is my story about the 10-day flashlight of famous brand
I have changed this flashlight for the nitecore ec4, so no more pic will be uploaded
A normal day, i am charging this by usb port(charger is anker 5 port usb), the temp is quite high(33°C, i guess,i'm living in asia), but this is not too high for the flashlight to handle it
Believe in this flashlight, i go to sleep, after 45'-1hour charging, somehow i waked up, and founf this flashlight was releasing too much smoke, i knew i'm scared, and quickly remove usb cord, at first i try to remove the micro usb, but the body was too hot to touch and i guess the port has melt so i can't remove it, i must remove from the charger(and i lost my micro usb cable)
Here is some picture, all of it
The flashlight worked properly, so does the charger circuit
I use it with the jetbeam rcr 123 680mah
2016c30386a0-67cf-4331-8f6a-bcd39366828f.jpg

20160bf3fbd5-f365-4ad9-a5c8-b2a041f84b0d.jpg

20162d747433-1006-4180-a00b-68ae95e3d9dc.jpg

P/s: i can't believe in usb charge flashlight anymore, so i move to nitecore ec4, i'm thinking of buying 10180 flashlight, any recommen?
Thks for reading
UPDATE
today, jetbeam has just contacted to my seller, and everything is ok now, jetbeam will send a new flashlight to my seller.I guess this will end here
Thanks for all your help, jetbeam and jetbeam.vn
Now mod can delete this theard or just keep it, whatever

Last edited:

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy crap... I hope to never see anything like that with my lights.

May I guess that the battery was overly discharged?

Last edited:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
What was the condition of the battery when you removed it? Had the battery vented at all?

It looks more to me like the charging circuit / circuit board had a short and started to fry.

What was the smell like? Was it like burning electronics or a more pungent and dangerous burning battery chemical smell.

I've always been a bit hesitant on these newer lights with built in chargers. Who knows what type of quality (or lack thereof) is being used in these circuits?

mrheosuper

Newly Enlightened
When i charged, the temperature in my room not too high(33°c, i guess), it was on the table with many thing(books,phone,etc), i was so lucky found it soon enough before my house on fire
The smoke smell horible, don't know how to describe it, but i have experience with burning pcb, circuit,and i guess it can't be circuit failure, cause it smell different, and the flashlight released with so much smoke and high pressure
Ps:it's not easy postting reply in this theard, dunno why

scout24

Flashaholic
Scary stuff! I can't PM you yet, so I couldn't privately send this. I edited a certain word out of your original post. I understand the close call and frustration, but we try to avoid the harsher adult language here. Thanks for your understanding. :)

mrheosuper

Newly Enlightened
I get it,it's ok, i have used many forum, but this forum is unique, and friendly

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saw your post in the review thread and that is scary stuff indeed! Glad you caught it in time, though you might want to rethink leaving a light/battery to charge while you sleep. Have you contacted Niteye/Jetbeam regarding this? I'd be curious to see what they say.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I never charge batteries at night... Except, like millions of others, my cell phone and laptop. It could happen to any of us. Even well designed circuits fail sometimes. I hope you didn't breath too much of that acrid smoke.

mrheosuper

Newly Enlightened
Saw your post in the review thread and that is scary stuff indeed! Glad you caught it in time, though you might want to rethink leaving a light/battery to charge while you sleep. Have you contacted Niteye/Jetbeam regarding this? I'd be curious to see what they say.

I have made a deal with my seller, i paid some more money to take nitecore ec4 instead
I'll update if i have any news form the seller, but i'm not sure if he contact to jetbeam or just leave it around and do nothing

mrheosuper

Newly Enlightened
One problem that i still can' understand is the battery itself have protected circuit, but in this case both flashlight and battery don't do their job, strange?
Here my picture of the battery i used
jetbeam-jl160-rcr123-37v-750mah-li-ion-protected.jpg

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
Sometimes the battery protection PCB occasionally fail short-circuit - I hope it didn't get shorted by accidentally tightening the tailcap screw-in.

If it was a tight fit (ie. the spring in tailcap pressing down on the protection PCB at negative end of battery), I'd have expected that it vented so good from short-circuit due to warping of protection PCB. I think Niteye R16 was meant to be used with unprotected battery due to tight specification in there (concerning the battery length). Too bad it was a good flashlight by itself, hope you can get it replaced.

Last edited:

mrheosuper

Newly Enlightened
Sometimes the battery protection PCB occasionally fail short-circuit - I hope it didn't get shorted by accidentally tightening the tailcap screw-in.

If it was a tight fit (ie. the spring in tailcap pressing down on the protection PCB at negative end of battery), I'd have expected that it vented so good from short-circuit due to warping of protection PCB. I think Niteye R16 was meant to be used with unprotected battery due to tight specification in there (concerning the battery length). Too bad it was a good flashlight by itself, hope you can get it replaced.

I remembered that the manual doesn't say you shouldn't use with the battery has protected board
And i don't think a flashlight that if you tighten it too strong, it will end up in fire, is a good flashlight
So that it can't be my fault

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice to see you back, Doc.
P

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
mrheosuper, it's not your fault. We all make mistake once in a while, after all we're human.

And you said that the manual warned not to use protected battery, my hunch was confirmed somewhat, not to mention the "Uh-oh" feeling. Well, we learn from the mistakes and the only thing that truly mattered is that you're okay and not hurt.