USB Type C 12V Output Question

ejsalt

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I'm trying to power a 12V LED spotlight with a power bank that has a newer "type C" output port. The type C output port can supply 5V, 9V, & 12V, per specs. The specs also state the power bank will automatically detect the required voltage of your device and supply correct voltage as needed (up to 1.2A at 12V). However, when I connect my spotlight to the type C connector (using an adapter...type C to 5.5x2.1mm barrel connector) I can only get 5V to output...thus my bulb will not power on due to this low voltage situation. Any ideas how to "coax" the type C port to output 12V? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

EJ

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the 5.5 x 2.1 'M' plug has been by convention reserved for 5v for the most part. So even though your cable has a Type C connector it is probably using the 5v pins and not the 12v. Check where you got it from and see what the specs say about the cable. You may have to get a Type C connector and wire the cable yourself to access the 12v. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

ejsalt

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I think you may be right. I guess I need to purchase a type c-to-type c cable, open it up and try to find the 12V wire(s). From what I can gather, there's up to 15 wires stuffed into the new type c cables, so it should be an interesting exercise trying to figure out what's what. I'll keep you posted.

mrheosuper

Newly Enlightened
It depends on the power bank you use, it has usb type C doesn't mean it has 12V output, if your power bank support quick charge, u can easily find them
Normally the 12V wire is the 5V wire too, because it will auto boost the voltage, depend on your device, i remember if you apply 3.3 V to d+ or d- of the usb, it will boost the voltage out

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I think you may be right. I guess I need to purchase a type c-to-type c cable, open it up and try to find the 12V wire(s). From what I can gather, there's up to 15 wires stuffed into the new type c cables, so it should be an interesting exercise trying to figure out what's what. I'll keep you posted.
You can usually find wiring diagrams on the web without having to sacrifice a cable. Try Wikipedia first, they have a lot of info on USB.

Latest posts