How is throw measured

NevC

Newly Enlightened
Looking at light specs you get various distances from what seems similar stat products.

Are the stats mathematical numbers put out by manufacturer, or is some physical standard used?

I have tried to reconcile given stats of torches I can get to actual distance obtained.

I find some will light up a 200m object, but not at a level to be useful. But will be better at 150m.

So the other question is the throw given a useful distance, or a workable one?

kj2

Flashaholic
Most manufacturers use the ANSI FL1 standard. The given throw distance should give you 0.25 lux at that distance. Suppose to be the same as full moon on a clear night in open field. But you need about 2 lux to really tell what it is. Personally I take the given throw rate and divide that by 2.

Last edited:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dividing by 2 gives you the distance at which the brightest part of the flashlight beam puts 1 lux on target.

I often divide by 4. That gives you the distance at which 4 lux fall on the target.

Your application matters a lot here. Some targets are inherently more difficult to see than others. Whether you divide by 2, 3, 4, or some other number, there is one thing on which we can all agree.

The ANSI FL 1 distance rating is way too "optimistic!"

Last edited:

Lateck

Newly Enlightened
Poppy, your reference thread is VERY informative. I see that there IS a science to flashlights! Lateck,

NevC

Newly Enlightened
Wow
Thanks for the great information. I missed the reference post when I searched.

I have a Crelant V6CS that I wanted to test, and borrowed other good lights to compare, Mag, Led Lenser and 3 or 4 other brands.
They all worked ok to 200m, but faded after that. One problem I now see is that what I tested the lights on was dark and did not illuminate as I expected.
A tin garage across a valley, about 300m and a bit, lit up quite well, but I could not identify a person or animal at that distance.

Many thanks for all the help, it is apprciated

NevC

Newly Enlightened
Wow, thanks for all that information, its starting to make sense.

I got a Crelant V6CS that I wanted to try out. The test distance was 205m, but the shed was dark, so I was not on line with my expectations.
A tin garage approx. 300m across a valley lit up quite well, but I could not really identify a person or small animal at that distance.

Overall I am happy with the V6CS given the price.

I am looking at an AceBeam K70 now I have learned more from this forum.

It is great to have such knowledge available to assist new members

Beam me Up

Latest posts