Arc flashlight is officially out of business...again

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to order a new Arc and saw on their website, they are going out of business

https://www.arcflashlight.com

This saddens me very much. I was a big fan of arc flashlights. Even though it is considered outdated. I always thought it was a piece of art and I loved the design philosophy behind it.

No other flashlight gave me as much satisfaction as the ARC. plus I even loved the many stories behind them. Matter of fact, a few years ago I made this tribute video to the flashlight

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fnpMKC77TFg

Sorry if I sound sappy, but it's like losing an old friend

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I am sorry to see this as well. I do understand the overall situation but I agree that the ARC-AAA was a milestone product in the field.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
ARC Flashlights brought me to this forum many years ago - I have more ARC's in my collection than any other brand.

Feeling guilty about not purchasing any for a few years - the time goes by so fast, and there are distractions.

I'm sure the ones out here in the field will continue to serve for decades to come.

Sad news.

Here's a few of mine. (sorry - old picture)

1411895526_2368cd1822_b.jpg

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
It really wasn't the same company though, was it? Did the "original" Arc flashlights go out of business years ago? Was the current company offering as good of a product or was it just an Arc in name alone?

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sad indeed...

They were pioneers but better stuff came out on the market for a lot less. The ARC 6 that was supposed to save them never fulfilled its promises, not to mention the horrible auction story with Peter Gransee that left a sour taste... From that moment, I guess we all knew ARC would never be the same company.

Still, ARC deserve a nice page in the flashlight history book.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sad to hear this. like others have stated, ARC was one of my first "quality" LED lights. That AAA-P belongs in the 'Hall of Fame". there was something about just holding it in your hand that told you it was top quality. About 10 years ago I needed some help with my ARC AAA-P and Peter helped me personally getting me a replacement prior to an important work conference where my ARC AAA-P was part of the presentation. I still carry the ARC AAA-P UV on my keys every day.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I haven't ordered any in many years, it is still a sad day.

The last I ordered was when they had a sale on the camo ones, I think I got 5 or 6.

:sigh: :candle:

ZachAttack

Newly Enlightened
I wish I had kept some of mine around now.....gave them to friends with no decent lights. Darn it

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got an LSL and LSH from Supremeco in Hong Kong with a phone order after they were sold out in the U.S. years ago. I also have maybe three Arc AAA's from the second incarnation of the smaller lights.

Seems like the Arc 4 was designed by Henry of HDS and things did not go as planned with the production. Peter and Henry parted company amid disputes, financial and otherwise.

Some early Arc chronology here:

http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/arcchron.htm

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Not surprised though saddened. I think the Arc 4 (is that the right 1XCR123 light, I forget) was the beginning of the end. That entire Ebay thing was too much IMHO.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
ARC Flashlights brought me to this forum many years ago - I have more ARC's in my collection than any other brand.

Feeling guilty about not purchasing any for a few years - the time goes by so fast, and there are distractions.

I'm sure the ones out here in the field will continue to serve for decades to come.

Sad news.

Here's a few of mine. (sorry - old picture)

1411895526_2368cd1822_b.jpg

That is best flashlight display stand ever!

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the Arc AAA a couple of times. They could have made it work if they wanted to. Unfortunately LED is a electronic computer part really that keeps on going forward. I think Arc never really wanted to. To this day the form factor, durability, size is still outstanding. I always said either SF or Streamlight should have bought them. They could have made some killer 1xAA format with the newest efficient LED and keep the same body and head. Hopefully someone will get the rights and make then again.
I think that the newest AAA Titan from SF the 2 stage model is what Arc AAA should have been. That was the end of the Arc for me.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not surprised though saddened. I think the Arc 4 (is that the right 1XCR123 light, I forget) was the beginning of the end. That entire Ebay thing was too much IMHO.

The light you are referring to was the ARC6, a quite impressing light based on the body of a PD (McGizmo).

Actually, I'd say both answers are right. The Arc4 accelerated the demise of the original ARC Flashlight LLC company as production, quality control and cash flow issues plagued the light's introduction.

And similarly, The New Arc Flashlight Company, aka MTD LLC/Cupp's Industrial Supply, was not able to find a sustainable market niche for the Arc6.

Peter had this personal update from last year on the Arcflashlight.com site:

In 2009, I decided to gradually transition out of the flashlight business. I still love flashlights but I have been wanting to try other things too. The flow of ideas for flashlights started to dry up and I was spending more and more time thinking about other new industries and opportunities. I consider myself very blessed that I was able to "ride the wave" when white LEDs first became available. I am now looking for other such waves. Revolutions in other industries. As of 2015 I have been working on a new company making software (not ready to announce yet). My good friends at CIS will continue to make Arc flashlights. They are good people. I help out from time to time as they need but I have really handed it all over to them so I can focus on new creative pursuits. Thank you everyone for your infectious enthusiasm and support! - Peter

http://www.arcflashlight.com/aboutus.shtml

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
The passing of an age.... Like many others it seems, Arc was my gateway to high performance flashlights. Sad to see them go, the little Arc AAA will always have a place in my heart ;)