Jetbeam        
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Surefire A2 Aviator bi-pin adaptors/Tad's customs

Default Re: Surefire A2 Aviator bi-pin adaptors/Tad's customs

Thanks @calipsoii for chiming in here ... your technical expertise is much appreciated
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by calipsoii View Post
    The stock A2 ring is powered directly off the battery stack. Current-limiting is handled via a single resistor to each 5mm LED. Voltage to the ring doesn't change whether the bulb is lit or not. Increasing the voltage by changing the battery chemistry increases current through each LED.

An example using Y/G LED's with a generous voltage droop of 3.9V (instead of 4.2V fresh off the charger):
    Chemistry Vbatt Vf Iled Rled Drive %
    2x CR123 6V 2.1V 25mA (6V - 2.1V)/0.025A = 156 ohm 0.025/0.025*100 = 100%
    2x IMR16340 7.8V 2.1V 7.8V/156 = 50mA 156 ohm 0.050/0.025*100 = 200%

At 200% overdrive the LED may not instantly poof. It's likely the emitter will age at a greatly increased rate and output capacity will decrease faster. So instead of 10,000h of guaranteed output life you may get 2,500h or 1,000h.

Each aftermarket A2 ring behaved differently with different voltages:
    • Aviatrix: same as stock - resistors need changed if LED Vf changed
    • calipsoii: voltage regulated - Vbatt clipped to 5V and Iled regulated via resistor
    • Onion rings: current regulated - Iled set via trimpot

koala's option is the most technically advanced and covers all batteries and LED forward voltages. archimedes is correct that other users may not be comfortable shortening the life on their (now-discontinued) torch and may want to seek an aftermarket ring to use with 8.4V rechargeables.

Hope that helps!
    Yes, thanks for breaking that down. I can see why some would not want to overdrive the leds for sure. I wasn't questioning that at all. I figured most people knew by now. I didn't want to use imr's in my a2s for a long time being afraid of burning the driver. Once that's done it's all over, then we have to move on to something else.

Quote Originally Posted by calipsoii View Post
    The stock A2 ring is powered directly off the battery stack. Current-limiting is handled via a single resistor to each 5mm LED. Voltage to the ring doesn't change whether the bulb is lit or not. Increasing the voltage by changing the battery chemistry increases current through each LED.

An example using Y/G LED's with a generous voltage droop of 3.9V (instead of 4.2V fresh off the charger):
    Chemistry Vbatt Vf Iled Rled Drive %
    2x CR123 6V 2.1V 25mA (6V - 2.1V)/0.025A = 156 ohm 0.025/0.025*100 = 100%
    2x IMR16340 7.8V 2.1V 7.8V/156 = 50mA 156 ohm 0.050/0.025*100 = 200%

At 200% overdrive the LED may not instantly poof. It's likely the emitter will age at a greatly increased rate and output capacity will decrease faster. So instead of 10,000h of guaranteed output life you may get 2,500h or 1,000h.

Each aftermarket A2 ring behaved differently with different voltages:
    • Aviatrix: same as stock - resistors need changed if LED Vf changed
    • calipsoii: voltage regulated - Vbatt clipped to 5V and Iled regulated via resistor
    • Onion rings: current regulated - Iled set via trimpot

koala's option is the most technically advanced and covers all batteries and LED forward voltages. archimedes is correct that other users may not be comfortable shortening the life on their (now-discontinued) torch and may want to seek an aftermarket ring to use with 8.4V rechargeables.

Hope that helps!
    While Koala rings may have the technical advantage, a calipsoii multimode ring is in entirely different league as far as versatiliy is concerned. For example, I installed 2x 3200K high cri yuji leds and 1x 5600 high cri yuji led and now suddenly I have a truly universal flashlight. I have a sublumen incand-like (3200K) nightstand mode, a general purpose ~30lm 4000K light and a 10lm high noon 5600K high cri light for critical color inspection tasks. I don't think any flashlight, including TriV, could come close to this. And of course that great regulated incand bulb still works great for up to 100 yards at night

Hey guys... so are you able to run safely with 1x16650 or 2x16340 on a TAD customs bulb? If yes; what specific TAD bulb do you recommend?
    Dave
    "two is one, one is none... three or more is fun."

Flashaholic*

The Tad Bulds will be used at ~4V. The A2 is a regulated incan light. The only thing I do not know is if the flashlight driver is 8,4V capable. I use my A2 only with CR123s.
    Still looking for Surefire G2 in Orange.
    If you have one you don't like please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorOfLight View Post
    The Tad Bulds will be used at ~4V. The A2 is a regulated incan light. The only thing I do not know is if the flashlight driver is 8,4V capable. I use my A2 only with CR123s.
    Many have successfully used 16340s for years. The factory ring will overdrive the leds for sure so use at your own risk.

All 3 of the tads bubs work great in the a2. 4812, 3712 and 3718.

4812 is lower output longer runtime. 3712 is comparable to factory ma02 and 3718 is a tad brighter. Get the bipin adaptor and select the 3 bulb configuration, then you can choose which you prefer.

I just acquired an A2 beater so it's time to choose...
    Not adapter or not as that is a given... but which bulb.
    Leaning heavily towards the 3712 in bulk. Idea being buy the 10 pack with my order. Nostalgia is the idea and 80 lumens is plenty.

FYI, According to the site: the 4812 does 50 under-driven lumens in an A2, 3712 is 80 and the 3718 is about 140 lumens.
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorOfLight View Post
    TThe only thing I do not know is if the flashlight driver is 8,4V capable. I use my A2 only with CR123s.
    I've use my A2 with 2X 16340's, and stock lamp, off and on for years. No apparent wear on main bulb or LED's.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    I just acquired an A2 beater so it's time to choose...
    Not adapter or not as that is a given... but which bulb.
    Leaning heavily towards the 3712 in bulk. Idea being buy the 10 pack with my order. Nostalgia is the idea and 80 lumens is plenty.

FYI, According to the site: the 4812 does 50 under-driven lumens in an A2, 3712 is 80 and the 3718 is about 140 lumens.
    I have both the 3712 and the 3718. I honestly can't tell the difference. They both seem as bright and as white. I have a 4 flats aviator and a round version. Don't know if there is any difference. But the 18 is in the 4 flats and the 12 is in the round one. And, they both appear exactly the same to me. I'd go with the 3712 for the longer run times since they seem so close.

I went with the 3712.

I have: 3712, 3718, strion/fivemega, lumensfactory, stock bulbs. Having tried all of them I use now only the 3718. Why? While my a2 is my go to light, I have found that 99% of the time I use the low beam, so I just like the brightest possible option for the high one just in those rare cases when I need that reach

I have been going back and forth with my Y/G. I have an onion ring with many leds. I have a tads as well and here is what I tend to use the most. Factory Y/G ring and the tads 4812 bulb. I have found that the Y/G leds are a great low output navigating and reading leds. Then the low output 4812 is great for general use and long runtime on primaries.

Just my opinion on it since I feel the A2 isnt a burner anyway if you want some sort of runtime.

Quote Originally Posted by ma tumba View Post
    I have: 3712, 3718, strion/fivemega, lumensfactory, stock bulbs. Having tried all of them I use now only the 3718. Why? While my a2 is my go to light, I have found that 99% of the time I use the low beam, so I just like the brightest possible option for the high one just in those rare cases when I need that reach
    Yeah, I like the option of switching to high beam if needed. Like my automobiles, I rarely use it but like having that option. I figure the 3712 ought to do the trick, but will probably end up with some 18's sooner or later.

Why? Because flashaholic....

I have discovered, personally and not scientifically, that 12-15 incan lumens is the right amount to see what you need to most of the time without killing dark-adapted vision, and though I am stunned at how bright Tad's lamps are with IMR-3.6v, this chemistry and lamp pairing obliterates dark-adapted vision instantly by bouncing off of anything at any distance less than about 15ft. Bright light, but after blinding, then see nothin for some time. My A2 is too bright even with the underdriven 4812. I use the IMR 3.6v during the day in e1e and early evening before eyes adjust, but afterwards, I've started using 3v (CR123A & 2xAA) and ~12lm exclusively, except for rarer occasion with a single 1.2v AA (Malkoff) for almost a lumen with 3712.
    Last edited by night.hoodie; 12-18-2017 at 11:31 PM.

Welp,

My 3712's finally arrived. Note self, don't order stuff from Hong Kong at Christmas. Delivery time was not unusual in that it took about 3 weeks. But Tads stuff usually arrives in less than 2 weeks when ordered in non holiday season(s).
    My previous Tad's was for Maglite use and that's an apples to oranges thing. This is my first SureFire setup. And we all know that PK built some mighty fine, hard to duplicate light bulb modules. But Tad has done well here.

These are my first A2 bulbs and fastener. Nothing was surprising about how well made the fastener is. Typical Tad's job well done there. But the bulbs are impressive to say the least. And replaceable at a small cost is a boon for certain. Pins are cut to just the right length, are rigid enough to goof a little while you learn how to cinch them into the module and the beam was amazingly clean.
    Yeah I could be picky there vs a SureFire oem, but they're 2 bux each. Any defects have to be sought out and frankly don't affect anything that matters when lighting up the world I live in. Side by side with a factory bulb was a charm. The 3712 is a bit brighter in the tighter spot yet not so much that one would tell the difference except in throw. But even that is subjective imo. The SureFire wins the throw but barely.

I'm impressed with the 3712's. Makes my A2 more fun to use as the thought of a $35 light bulb popping is now replaced by a relaxed thought of "pffft, I got 10 more for $20". Plus the light still appears to be stock in both form and feature. Yay!! Since I use my A2 for low light mainly, the 3712 may outlive me.

Definitely going to scarf up some Tad's E size modules next. I really like the Lumens Factory bulbs, but again at $2 each it's just more relaxing to use an old incan knowing if the bulb blows it costs less than a pair of primaries to get it going again.

Last edited by bykfixer; 05-07-2018 at 10:45 AM.

Has anyone confirmed, or can take a guess, at what the runtime would be on the A4812 lamp compared to the factory MA02 lamp when running CR123 primaries? Tads website only says "Underdrive with A2 approx 50 lumens"

Quote Originally Posted by DayofReckoning View Post
    Has anyone confirmed, or can take a guess, at what the runtime would be on the A4812 lamp compared to the factory MA02 lamp when running CR123 primaries? Tads website only says "Underdrive with A2 approx 50 lumens"
    The A4812 is a 1.2A bulb but when it is under drive at 4V in the Surefire A2 I think it is 1.0A? And the CR123A is about 1600mah? So it is more than 90 minutes.

Got a response back from Tad Customs. Looks like the A4812 will run around 1.5 hours on primaries, just like Konifans said. I like long runtimes over sheer output so I'm going to give the A4812 a try.

Has anyone who has both a Tad's bi-pin adapter, and a Fivemega bi-pin adapter, compared the Tad's 3712 with a Streamlight stinger bulb, for both brightness and battery runtime? Most people with the FM adapter probably use the strion bulb, but I have read that the stinger bulb is underdriven, and has a longer service life overall, than the strion. I'm wondering how the stinger might compare in these particulars to the 3712.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456