Anyone care to compare the Olight S1 to the S15?

mick53

Newly Enlightened
If you had to pick an Olight S1 Baton OR an S15 Baton which one would you get and why?

Thank you.

gunga

Flashaholic
I used to own both. Sold em because I was getting into other lights. The S1 is tiny and runs on cr123. The S15 (I had the s15r) runs on AA. I believe max output is higher on the S1.

They are very similar. How big are your hands? How do you use and carry your lights? What kind of batteries do you use? Rechargeable?

They are both very similar in function and features. I have other AA lights I like better. I'd probably get the s1 (again) just because it's so small and light. Also comes in ti, copper and brass.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the entire Baton series, regular and rechargeable, many in Titanium and copper. Love them all. The major differences are related to size, power source and output. The S-15 is a solid EDC light that can run on standard AA batteries(albeit not as bright) that are available everywhere and in a true crisis could be the difference between having a functional light or being in the dark. It is a comfortable size to hold yet does not create a large bulge in a jeans pocket. I also have two additional body tubes and can run three alkaline or NIMH rechargeables(NEVER run more than one 14500 cell).

The S1 is tiny-many people love or hate it because of this factor. For some, it is not comfortable to hold. Even though I have large hands I have no trouble holding it. With a 16340 cell it cranks out a lot of lumens. It is not uncommon for me to have two S1's on me at any given time. It can also run standard CR123's as well, and with more and more big box stores like Lowes and Wal-Mart carrying these cells it is a good option. Both lights have moonlight mode, strobe & SOS modes. The clips on both are reversible to clip on a cap bill, and both have strong tail magnets for hands free light.
Which light is better? The answer is 100% dependent on what your needs are. I am in the midst of moving and will not have access to wifi until after 6-8-16, so I will do my best to monitor this and other threads if there are follow up questions by stopping in to Starbucks when I can....

mick53

Newly Enlightened
Thank you guys for helping me make up my mind.

Small lights are great but I think the S1 might be a little too small for a just "keep around the house" light. And CR123s can be a pain in the butt to get hold of fast if you allow youself to run out.

DMS1970

Enlightened
Just to add a couple thoughts. I have many of each, the S15R was on sale around good Friday for about $17, I bought about a dozen of them. Then the S1s were on sale for about $27, so I bought 5 or 6 of them. I prefer the feel of the s15, the length, love the metal button with battery indicator more then the rubber covered buttons, the glow ring under the lens is handy, output is just OK. The S1 on the other hand puts out 2x the lumens in a wall of light. I find the beam preferable for any close up work or searching. The clip on both of them is tighter than I would prefer, but the S1 rocks for mounting on a ball cap due to floody beam and light weight. Short answers:

1) get both
2) wait until the AA version releases with a TIR optic (I heard somewhere it's coming, but will prob end up with the rubber covered button)
3) check out angry fox E3 (14500) and E6 (16340), both appear to be made in the same factory as olight, the rattlesnake clip looks superior, and both put out +100 lumens more than the olight versions (CLAIMED). E6 has a cool belt clip mount also

wolfgaze

Enlightened
Should be an S1AA coming out soon, right? You may want to explore that as an option....

My main gripe with the S1 is that I don't feel like I get all that long runtimes while using RCR123's... It's not my primary light - I've relegated it to night stand usage with its diffuser cap....

Last edited: