Court ordered Nichia to pay $190M to (not you)

muggsuxx

Newly Enlightened
Tokyo district court ordered Nichia on Jan. 30th to pay 20 billion yen (a bit over $190 million) to Shuji Nakamura, a professor of UCSB , the inventor of blue LED.

Current exchange rate is $1=105 yen.

muggsuxx

Newly Enlightened
Re: Court ordered Nichia to pay $190 million

It's breaking news and storming all Japanese media right at this moment. Of course it's written in Japanese, but you'll hear it in English in few hours.
Mainichi News
Kyodo Tsushin
Yomiuri

English translation is yet to come. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

WHOLLY heck!!

that is a heck load of money
i want that mony too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

iddibhai

Enlightened

ill.bikr is near ucsb... good time to apply for scholarship at the ee dept there i'd think /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

muggsuxx

Newly Enlightened
Gosh, I translated the news in detail and this suckin' browser shut down on me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

In short, the court determined that the Nichia's profit from blue LED is about $1.1B and Mr. Nakamura is entitle to have 50% of it, since he was the sole researcher for blue LED in Nichia. However, the court goes, he is asking just...JUST $190M, that's what he gets.

FYI, Nichia paid him $200 (yeah, JUST TWO HUNDRED BUCKS!!) for the invention. LOL!! At the court, Nichia claimed that the issue had been settled with that payment./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Mr. Nakamura's comment: an invention with this kind of profitability may, or may not come once in a hundred years. Then for most inventions, it would take 30 to 40 years to reach the market (but blue LED didn't take that long).I'm glad to hear the court ruling. I believe more people will come to research fields (in Japan).

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

looks like the Mr is the one on the right side, but then, who is left? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
iddibhai said:
ill.bikr is near ucsb... good time to apply for scholarship at the ee dept there i'd think /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, I live about 5 minutes from UCSB, the home of the LEDs! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

200,000,000.00 JPY
(Japan Yen)
=
1,891,113.13 USD
(United States Dollars)

1 JPY = 0.00945557 USD/1 USD = 105.758 JPY

holy sh*t..... !!!!!

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't know if Radio Shack still does this, but, the contract you had to agree to, in order to work for them, stated that any inventions you came up with, even on your OWN time, belonged to Radio Shack (Tandy Corporation).

A similar Patent back royalties case in the USA involved the variable delay control for windshield wipers. The inventor, who worked for one of the Big Three of Detroit, invented it at his home, and patented it. The automakers used it for years without paying a cent of royalties (or even buying the patent). In Federal court, the corporate attorneys argued that since he worked for them, the invention belonged to the Corporation. The Court ruled otherwise, and all automakers had to pay huge amounts of back royalties. (I think this case set a precedent in the USA.)

Congratulations to Mr. Nakamura!

muggsuxx

Newly Enlightened

The figure of the court order is 200,0000,0000 yen. With the current exchange rate of $1=105 yen, it is $190,476,190.48
Yes, that's right, ONE HUNDRED NINETY MILLION US DOLLARS.

Mr. Nakamura calculated that Nichia's compounded profit from blue LED at year 2010, when the patent expires, will be $1.465B. At the court, he claimed the share of 13%, $190M, of the total profit Nichia amasses from his invention.

The Tokyo district court calculated that Nichia's total profit will be $1.14B at 2010. Since Mr. Nakamura worked all by himself for the invention even after his senior ordered him not to, the value of his invention is no less than the half of $1.14B, which comes down to $570M. Since the court declared the value of the invention to be $570M, Mr. Nakamura (and his lawyers of course) is considering to raise his stake. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Nichia is appealing against the district court ruling to the higher court.

The fact is:
#1. There is no written agreement between Nichia and Mr. Nakamura that dictates all the inventions belong to the company.

#2. Mr. Nakamura worked on blue LED in his work hours and used company's equipment.

#3. Mr. Nakamura did not claim his share for 10 years.

The court ruled that the patent now belongs to Nichia, and that obligates Nichia to pay the value of the invention to Mr. Nakamura.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

So, you are saying that the award was actually twenty billion yen? That is what a 2 with ten zeroes and no decimal poing following it is, at least in US jargon.

Your placement of the commas is confusing me... maybe that is how they do it in Japan?

Oh, and the dollar "gained a penny" since this morning: the exchange rate is currently $1 to 106.1 yen; making the yen worth .94 of a cent.

Here is a pretty handy little website for currency conversions.:
http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast

China also groups large number in four, not three like US/Europe.

10,000 US
1,0000 China

-Bill

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK, Here are a couple of articles on it in english:
ARTICLE 1

Article 2

They confirm the $189 Million dollar settlement, and one of them calls it 20 billion yen, so what threw me off is the initial post saying that it was two hundred million yen.

[ QUOTE ]
muggsuxx said:
Tokyo district court ordered Nichia on Jan. 30th to pay 200 million yen (a bit over $190 million) to Shuji Nakamura, a professor of UCSB , the inventor of blue LED.

Current exchange rate is $1=105 yen.

[/ QUOTE ]

muggsuxx

Newly Enlightened

Silviron, you are right. It's 20 billion yen. I mixed it up with Japanese unit. I can convert numbers between $ and yen with no effort, but direct translation is not my forte. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
I'll edit it.