Time for a refresh?

Wok

Newly Enlightened
A decade ago I fitted a pair of CIBIE 02121 { RHD I'm in Australia } to my Hilux/Tacoma on Mr.S's recommendation. Partnered with the {then} current Phillips Extreme H4 they have served me well.

So bearing their age { & possible deterioration } I am looking @ relacing the units & using the current Phillips Extremes.

This is where I hit a brick wall...the CIBIE 02121/Valeo 082465 are no longer available in Australia. Only generic & OEM Kaito (sealed beams) are around.

Is there:
a) an equivalent semi-sealed equivalent to the CIBIE that I could try to procure in Australia ( I know they are obtainable from the UK @ $$$$ ) or
b) a LED version that would be ADR compliant?

Any suggestions?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Stay away from the generics, they're junk. The Hella unit in this size isn't a good one, either, and neither is the Narva.

02121 isn't a Cibie or Valeo number -- might have been a local distributor's number. 082465 is a Valeo number, that is 200mm x 142mm rectangular H4 with parking light. If you want another set of them, you can buy them out of England. Or if you don't need the parking light built in (which you probably don't, if you originally had sealed beams) you can get a good Koito European-spec H4 unit at a local Toyota dealer, with part number 90981-04011. Or the Koito 997-19541 Japan-spec H4 unit which is easily available in Japan at friendly prices (the linked one equates to about 46 Australian dollars). It comports with the applicable ADRs so it's legal in Australia, and it gives better seeing distance than the European-spec units. I don't speak Japanese so I use FromJapan to buy stuff that isn't generally distributed outside the Japanese market. So far I've found it to be an effective and affordable proxy service; they pack and ship quickly and very carefully.

LED version that is ADR compliant: Yes, it's made in the USA by Truck-Lite, the ADR-compliant left-traffic unit with parking light built in (also LED) is part number 27491C.

(Mr.S...is that S for Stern?)

Wok

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your help.The Truck-Lite looks good, I willo have to check if they are approved locally { in writting }.

Its interesting the Valeo 082463 comes up as for a Honda.

Re: Mr.S - I think Mr.S has morphed into Mr.Virgil? :) Thank you for your longterm support!

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Thank you for your help.The Truck-Lite looks good, I willo have to check if they are approved locally { in writting }

No, you don't. There is no such thing as headlamps "approved locally" in Australia. Headlamps type-approved to the UN (ECE) Regulations and producing beam patterns appropriate for left-hand traffic are legal throughout Australia, period. There is no provision for any state or territory to selectively refuse them.

Its interesting the Valeo 082463 comes up as for a Honda.

Not really. Remember, this headlamp format (200 x 142mm) has been used on numerous different makes and models. Primarily in US- and Japan-designed vehicles, but also in some others.

Re: Mr.S - I think Mr.S has morphed into Mr.Virgil?

Oh, you mean my old screen name, Scheinwerfermann. Alaric has pointed to correct info.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Headlamps type-approved to the UN (ECE) Regulations and producing beam patterns appropriate for left-hand traffic are legal throughout Australia, period.
I got so caught up in the "name game" I forgot to cover that.

Not that facts are a democracy, but -Virgil-'s right. There's no need for 'local approval'; Australia is a signatory to the UNECE Agreements of 1958 and 1998, therefore UNECE type approval supercedes local authority to refuse compliant lamps.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Well, sort of. Australia is a signatory to the 1958 Agreement, but Australia does not apply the individual UN Regulations. Instead, Australia maintains its own national vehicle regulations, called ADRs (Australian Design Rules). The ADRs' technical contents, in almost every case including vehicle lamps, consists of the contents of the UN Regulation minus the type approval requirements and plus allowances for some non-UN-spec equipment. The ADRs are administrated on a self-certification system (like the US and Canada use), but because they contain the UN Regs' technical content, UN-approved headlamps comply with the ADRs. Some manufacturers (Truck-Lite is among them) take a belt-and-suspenders approach by specifically declaring their UN-approved lamps marketed in/to/for Australia ADR-compliant.

But just like in the USA, where a state can't reject headlamps that meet the US Federal standard, neither can Australian states reject headlamps that meet the Australian national standard. There is no need to ask permission from any individual Australian state to use this or that UN-spec-and-ADR-compliant left-traffic headlamp.