Huge Breakthrough in Battery technology - this will be a Game Changer

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
"If the following claims are real, this battery is the game changer that will bring about a massive change in electricity production and distribution, not to mention a huge impact on electric cars. We are talking in numbers 1/3 of the weight and 4 times the energy density of the best Lithium Ion battery available. Recharge speeds 33x and still retaining over 80% capacity after thousands of charges. Cost will be much lower."
They are saying an electric car could get around 500 miles and be charged back up in just a few minutes! They also say they can withstand a much higher drain rate than any Li-Ion batteries. :twothumbs

http://revolution-green.com/grabat-energy-graphene-polymer-battery-breakthrough/

http://futurism.com/scientists-develop-better-battery-thanks-graphene/

http://grabat.es/en

http://www.graphenano.com/es/

Considering this could save the planet from the current oil and coal pollution issues and that it would be the end of the internal combustion engine I expect there will be huge resistance from the big players in the oil industry - whether they try to buy it out and shelve it or by other means try to make it go away I see this as the biggest problem in having this battery tech make it to market. I'm thinking 10K Lumen pocket rocket about 1" x 3" would be easy with these batteries if we can figure how to keep it cool ;)

Edit - added 6-23-2017: Graphene batteries now available: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/batterie...-graphene.html Prices aren't bad either.
Also see this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-snI8u46XA) this guy is putting an 18650 into production - at least 3600 to 3800 mah rating with very high C - charge possible in just seconds! And very high discharge rates. I'm looking further to see if these are available anywhere yet. He had some in hand but some had too high of iron content (which causes some self discharge). More info as I find it.

Last edited:

IamMatt

Newly Enlightened
Hope it works out I am somewhat skeptical of stuff like this til I see it in the real world. Seems odd that a "small Spanish company" has this and not Elon Musk.

RollerBoySE

Enlightened
Possibly, but don't hold your breath.

The reason why Tesla have been so successful is because they went with conventional technology (18650:s), improved the charging and control over the batteries instead. Not to mention mass production of the cells to lower the cost (Giga factory).

Last edited:

n3eg

Newly Enlightened
It's gonna be fun rapid charging those things in any kind of garage with 100 amp service. "Honey, can you please turn off the house for the next 5 hours so I can charge the car?"

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Considering this could save the planet from the current oil and coal pollution issues and that it would be the end of the internal combustion engine I expect there will be huge resistance from the big players in the oil industry - whether they try to buy it out and shelve it or by other means try to make it go away I see this as the biggest problem in having this battery tech make it to market. I'm thinking 10K Lumen pocket rocket about 1" x 3" would be easy with these batteries if we can figure how to keep it cool ;)

Since most electricity is generated by burning coal, most electric cars are in effect, coal powered.

markr6

Flashaholic
These stories come up about once a year. Nothing ever comes of it. I can't remember what the last one was. I hope I'm wrong one of these days though.

markr6

Flashaholic
Since most electricity is generated by burning coal, most electric cars are in effect, coal powered.

I get emails from the power company in the summer to ask customers to turn up their thermostat and wait until later at night to cook. I'm not sure if they're trying to be environmentally friendly or if they're struggling to keep up. Once 20% of drivers all start plugging in at 5:30PM compared to 0.5%, they better have discovered some magical fuel by then to keep up.

HKJ

Flashaholic

Depends on where in the world you are. Around here last years average was 42% wind power.
In addition to wind there is some solar power, wood is also used and, of course, some coal.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get emails from the power company in the summer to ask customers to turn up their thermostat and wait until later at night to cook. I'm not sure if they're trying to be environmentally friendly or if they're struggling to keep up. Once 20% of drivers all start plugging in at 5:30PM compared to 0.5%, they better have discovered some magical fuel by then to keep up.

They ask you to do that because they need to reduce the peak load on their system to keep it within their generating capacity. If the capacity is exceeded it could lead to brown outs or back outs.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on where in the world you are. Around here last years average was 42% wind power.
In addition to wind there is some solar power, wood is also used and, of course, some coal.

That's about 10X the percentage generated by wind in the USA. The big problem with wind power (aside from killing eagles and other birds) is that the wind varies and to keep the power balanced to the load on the system the power company needs to keep diesel generators idling all the time so that they can kick in when the wind dies down. If they didn't do that they would have blackouts. Since they need to burn all of that diesel it does away with most if not all of the advantage of wind power.

markr6

Flashaholic
They ask you to do that because they need to reduce the peak load on their system to keep it within their generating capacity. If the capacity is exceeded it could lead to brown outs or back outs.

Got it. Luckily I've only seen one electric car around here, so I guess we have room to grow!

markr6

Flashaholic
Just like concept cars at the show. They look absolutely amazing and futuristic. Then you go to the car dealership 9 months later and see it and think, oh...hmmm.

HKJ

Flashaholic
That's about 10X the percentage generated by wind in the USA. The big problem with wind power (aside from killing eagles and other birds) is that the wind varies and to keep the power balanced to the load on the system the power company needs to keep diesel generators idling all the time so that they can kick in when the wind dies down. If they didn't do that they would have blackouts. Since they need to burn all of that diesel it does away with most if not all of the advantage of wind power.

I do not believe the diesel generator part is very large, most/all power plants is a combination of electricity and heat generating plants, this probably means they can fairly easy change the electricity/heat balance to handle variations. There is also the part that EU is fairly well connected and electricity is traded between countries. In 2014 Denmark got electricity from (Solar and wind has increased since then):
Wind: 35%
Water: 10%
Solar: 2%
Trash: 4%
Biofuel: 9%
Atom: 3%
Natural gas: 7%
Coal: 30%
And none from oil.

All the electricity from water and atom is imported.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast

More of that: any electric car indirectly produces more CO² than any combustion engine driven one of an equal power.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always laugh at the hydro where they pump the water up into the dam (or whatever they call it) during the night with cheap electricity and then let the water down to generate power during the day when electricity is a lot more expensive.

John.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
At the risk of a further shift in topic, in the US it is only 33% - certainly not most. https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=427&t=3
Not sure if you're referring to any particular country or worldwide? :confused:

A self-labeled opinion piece - which happens to link off to an opinion piece of the opposite viewpoint.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not believe the diesel generator part is very large, most/all power plants is a combination of electricity and heat generating plants, this probably means they can fairly easy change the electricity/heat balance to handle variations. There is also the part that EU is fairly well connected and electricity is traded between countries. In 2014 Denmark got electricity from (Solar and wind has increased since then):
Wind: 35%
Water: 10%
Solar: 2%
Trash: 4%
Biofuel: 9%
Atom: 3%
Natural gas: 7%
Coal: 30%
And none from oil.

All the electricity from water and atom is imported.

Wind farms make electricity not heat and they need some kind of stand by power source for when the wind dies down or there will be black outs. It could be natural gas, diesel, water (hydro electric), nuclear or coal. Diesel seems to be the traditional choice in the US. And biofuel is diesel made from plant oils.