Convoy L6

narmattaru

Enlightened
you can buy Convoy L6 here

Manufacturer specifications
Host: Black / integrated head
Modes: low 50mA - mid 200mA - high 1700mA - turbo 5000mA (Typical current) (Double click side switch ----> strobe)
Switch: 125V 10A forward switch in tail controls on/off, side switch controls the mode
Reflector: OP & Aluminum Alloy, maximum diameter 67.8mm, hight 48.2mm
LED: CREE XHP70 soldered on 20mm copper plate, the maximum flux is more than 3800lm
Waterproof level: IPX8
Battery: L6 runs on 2pcs 26650 batteries (max length 70mm each) . high drain batteries are preferred.
Head diameter: 75mm
Outer diameter of battery tube: 35mm
Inner diameter of the battery tube: 27mm
Flashlight length: 255mm
Light weight: 550g
Packaging weight: 761g

Convoy has to get rid of any extra part of package to make it`s available (in the matter of price) as it is possible. Here, with L6 we get only spare tactical ring and that`s it. Not even manual included, which is not a problem in this case. But I don`t agree with the decision not to put even cheapest lanyard.
98cc47.jpg

For it`s size and outlooking L6 make an impression that it has to be included in Saurons inventory (average Nazgul at least.) There is no logo. Just big black flashlight.
62f1b3.jpg

Here you can compare it with Convoy X3 and ordinary EDC-size Astrolux.
563f5f.jpg

L6 is quite simple, but i`ve got no complaints about it`s build quality.

There is a place by the tail for optional tactical ring. I put it there and haven`t taken of since then as it adds a good grip.
72f2e7.jpg

00bcce.jpg

342b85.jpg

98c055.jpg

Bezel is crown shaped. It can be unscrewed quite easily.OP reflector and glass also can be taken off without applying force. There was some dust under glass by o-ring.
cea371.jpg

Glass is decently think, 3mm. It managed to survive falling from 1 m height to stone floor.

Reflector is deep , orange peel. I think it`d be cool to have an opportunity to order optional SMO to make a real longthrower from L6. 2-3 additional bucks to price for it seems to be a reasonable choice.
d1bbf3.jpg

634aa0.jpg

ac7955.jpg

d6a3cc.jpg

63685f.jpg

LED is centered, there is some grease by it. I think this is stains of thermal paste.
14bd32.jpg

heat sink is good. Here are fotos.
6b0c35.jpg

eab305.jpg

In Low-mid I don't` feel it get any warmer, may be a liiitle bit in mid.
In high head gets warm after 5-6 minutes. I can hold it barehand, but this is uncomfortable. What about tail – it is still warm, but not as hot as head.
It took about 10 minutes for head to reach 60 C in turbo. I decided not to wait longer coz I believe it Saimon`s warning that it can reach 80-90. Even when head it about 60 it is quite painful to hold flashlight`s tail.
4e4928.jpg

That makes a simple stepdown from turbo. After 7-8 minutes one has to switch to decrease brightness or switch off flashlight in order to be able to hold L6 ))

But what about turbo, I suppose it is a good decision to get rid from real stepdown. There may be situation when maximum brightness at longest possible time is a real need. In other cases turbo is a choice for 1-2 minutes, to locate something distant.

Saimon written to one guy at forum.fonarevka.ru that 18650 is not supported. I tried – L6 worked with a pair of 18650 LG HE4. But 18650 to 26650 sleeve adapter from Convoy X3 was 1-2 mm thicker to insert it in L6 tube. May be with other adapters it will be possible. Anyway, for the price of this stuff everyone can buy a pair and remove 1-2 mm from diameter.

Buttons
5e8d9e.jpg

4abd04.jpg

Tailstand
is stable, which is good for an unexpensive product with tail button.
b6a38e.jpg

There is a bypass at (or "in" or "on" – here is a limit of my language skills) both springs.
e9b4d0.jpg

37eac0.jpg

Here is amperage that i`ve measured.

07b580.jpg

UI is simple.

Tail button switchs on\off. Side button is for choosing brightness. Strobe is activated with double click. I haven`t found any SOS mode. There is a last regime memory.

I assume that this splitting into tail- and side-buttons is reasonable. It will be really uncomfortable to run this L6 only with tail button, as flashlight is too big. And in case of single side-button, there is a serious risk to occasionally turn flashlight on. When it is in backpack, for example, it`ll end up with no good result.

center of gravity is by the head, so this makes both grips convenient - direct and revers (how we call them in Russian). Side button lies right under fingers, so it is not hard at all to reach it.

015f9a.jpg

015f9a.jpg

I got neutral white tint, which i actually prefer among others.
31e5e5.jpg

d6e0df.jpg

Of course this 5-7 meter distance is not proper for this L6, as it is EDC or keylight working distance. But I try to give as much info as I can. Nevertheless, thanx to OP, light is comfortable to work at this distance when min-mid brightness is chosen.
BOXk.gif

811c96.jpg

ca9b80.jpg

962450.jpg

8a9447.jpg

And here is most interesting part. Long distance. It is about 150-170 meter to these houses. It is hard to add anything, photos speak for themselves. Max and turbo are damn bright.
d79098.jpg

daleko.gif

b9f2cd.jpg

ade9a7.jpg

04f300.jpg

43c083.jpg

Overall I find L6 the unbeatable choice for the price. Other products of similar brightness cost at least 2 times more (I mean ones from good brands, no cheap trash). Good choice for security, rescue service and may be hunting.
Cons – as it was mentioned in another review, some spare o-rings and lanyard would be nice to get included.
I`d also add spare glass.

Last edited:

stephenk

Enlightened
Good to see another review. It is well priced, high quality photon blaster.

I would question the point about using high drain cells. The L6 is current controlled and just needs 26650s that can handle 5A current draw. Simon (Convoy) appears to recommend protected cells.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review and great pictures. Really glad to see more reviews showing up with good beamshots, I'm finally getting a good idea of what the beam is like. From what has been talked about over on budget light forum there is a SMO reflector in the works but no ETA on it.

khas

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for a very good review, with great pictures and video. Your English is very good.

narmattaru

Enlightened
i`m really glad to see positive replies and understand that i haven`t wasted my time.
i get 2-3 new lights monthly for review, so i if nothing changes, i keep on posting them here.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am trying to find this light. Oh by the way there is a US website where you can get anti glare coated hardened glass. I do not know if the mods will censor this or not but I will spell it out as to hopefully not break any rules. It is- flashlight Lens . com . Just put them all together to form one word. They can custom grind whatever size you need.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found and bought one!!!! 5000k NW just like I wanted. I am looking at a pair of Keeppower 26650's IMR flat top unprotected they are 5200mah and are 15 amp continuous with a 30 amp pulse rate. Are these okay or do I need protected cells?

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found and bought one!!!! 5000k NW just like I wanted. I am looking at a pair of Keeppower 26650's IMR flat top unprotected they are 5200mah and are 15 amp continuous with a 30 amp pulse rate. Are these okay or do I need protected cells?

The 2015 Keeppower 5200 mAh protected 26650s are the ones recommended by Convoy. There are older protected keeppower 26650s but they are too long to fit and they are not high current draw protected cells. The cells need to be no longer than 70mm. The light itself is current limited to around 6 amps so no need for IMRs (unless you want to mod it of course). Running two cells in serious usually entails using protected cells for safety that you wouldnt need to worry about in single cell lights for reasons such as reverse charging of dissimilar charged cells and any other unfortunate mishaps that would limit damage to one cell.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine arrived today, 5000K. Found that my "pair" of MKNE IMRs had a bad one (I was never really impressed with them) so - put them aside to get rid of the bad one & put in my efest 26650 IMRs. The light pretty much kicks @ss. I do have to admit that I missed the ring that comes off so you can put on the tactical ring.

CelticCross74 - the IMRs are by their nature unprotected, I'm using IMRs in this light (all my 26650s are IMRs), the OP measured 5 amps so you should be good with the Keeppower IMRs.

For $50 this is a heck of a light. I'm okay without extra o-rings & a lanyard. It's a bit large & heavy for my regular flashlight usage, but I obviously knew that going in.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay Im having trouble finding high amp 26650's that are 70mm long or less. The Keeppowers are near 72 mm long. Soshine makes a 5500mah protected ICR that is under 70mm. Even Orbtronics cells were 71.7mm long. Will keep digging.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might look at the Thorfire protected 5000 mah INR 26650. I have two waiting for my L6 when it finally clears customs. Funnily enough they got here faster than the light. I tested them and they are right on target for the capacity. They are rated for 10 amps so they should be fine. Or you can keep looking for the 2015 keeppowers.

narmattaru

Enlightened
hm, i personally have nothing but bad experience of ordering different "cr@p"fires batteries
none of them reached stated capaity. all had terrrible inner resistance. one of 16340 pair that were even sealed in one blister came totally dead - and that was that sort of trustfire that people recommend as relatively reliable.

anyway,luckily L6 works with 18650. when runtime is not the aim, it can be a good and choice (may be not simple, coz an appropriate adapter is required)

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
nothing but bad experience of ordering different "cr@p"fires batteries...............,luckily L6 works with 18650. when runtime is not the aim, it can be a good and choice (may be not simple, coz an appropriate adapter is required)

I cannot imagine anyone serious about making a decent battery would use a xxxxFire name, maybe Thorfire is an exception (??)

Adapters for 26650 to 18650 can be poly pipe/tube, pick it up at local hardware store, cut to length.

jake-cutter

Newly Enlightened
After seeing this thread I went ahead and ordered one. I know it will be a couple of weeks before it arrives which gives my time to find some 26650 batteries.

jwyj

Enlightened
After seeing this thread I went ahead and ordered one. I know it will be a couple of weeks before it arrives which gives my time to find some 26650 batteries.

Me too! It will probably beat my Olight SR95UT in terms of brightness and throw. I really hope it does.