Run LED in Series

Leo_asheesh

Newly Enlightened
Hello Experts

I am struggling a bit since last few months and my leds are going bad. i think this has to do with the constant current still i want to take an opnion from experts.

Below are the specification of my LED

1.LED Emitter: 10W
2.Output Lumens: 800-900LM
3.DC Forward Voltage (VF) :9V-12 V / DC
4.DC Forward Currect (IF) : 1050mA
link for led
http://www.ebay.in/itm/5-PCS-ACTUAL...735064?hash=item41abf37b98:g:-QUAAOSw5dNWh4Q-

Below are the specifications of my Driver
12 v 20 Amp
here is the link of the driver
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250W-Regulated-Switching-Power-Supply-DC-12V-20A-20Amps-/231536381656

i have connected 10 LED in parallel and connected them directly with the Driver
i have a very good heatsink and fan

Still in sometime my leds are burning out
Do i need to add any resistor in Series with each LED?
what do you suggest so that i get full bright light and leds also dont burn out

Thanks

evilc66

Enlightened
Chances are, while running the LEDs at 12v, the average current that the LED sees is higher than it's rated maximum, putting increased stress on the part causing it to fail. These LEDs will vary a lot from one LED to the next (a problem with cheap LEDs) in terms of what the current draw is for a given voltage. This is the primary reason why constant current drivers are prefered. What you have is just a fixed voltage DC power supply.

The easiest way to fix this without resorting to replacing the power supply with constant current drivers is to add a 2 ohm 5W resistor in series with each LED. That will drop about 2v and put the LED in a more comfortable operating range. The LED output will drop slightly, but it won't be a lot. The LEDs should live a lot longer though.

Leo_asheesh

Newly Enlightened
Chances are, while running the LEDs at 12v, the average current that the LED sees is higher than it's rated maximum, putting increased stress on the part causing it to fail. These LEDs will vary a lot from one LED to the next (a problem with cheap LEDs) in terms of what the current draw is for a given voltage. This is the primary reason why constant current drivers are prefered. What you have is just a fixed voltage DC power supply.

The easiest way to fix this without resorting to replacing the power supply with constant current drivers is to add a 2 ohm 5W resistor in series with each LED. That will drop about 2v and put the LED in a more comfortable operating range. The LED output will drop slightly, but it won't be a lot. The LEDs should live a lot longer though.

Thank you for the reply i tried 1 W 1 Ohm Resistor in series and it worked also but the Output of the light was not that Bright

So if i change my power source to constant current driver, what should be the specifications of the driver based on about setup

evilc66

Enlightened
Probably the easiest driver to get worldwide will be something like a Meanwell HLG-120H-C1050B. It's a 1050mA constant current driver with a voltage range that is suitable for 10 of the LEDs you are using. You will have to wire them in series to work with this driver (always a better option than running in parallel), but you will have to be careful, as the total voltage is going to be quite high (~120v).