( Review ) Xiaomi Z15 aa-aaa USB Charger

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast

Xiaomi Z15 aa-aaa USB Charger

gearbest_dot_com/chargers/pp_363063.html

IMGP1322_zpswhjarsg2.jpg

Pictured is my test set up . I used two ( Three actually ) USB wall adapters , the one in the picture being advertised as being a 1A model . The other USB adapter was advertised as being 2A , interesting little tidbit , each adapter is capable of supplying half the advertised current . Also I am using a Charge Doctor to monitor the current going to the charger . So with the 1A adapter that equals around half an amp , and with the 2A adapter about one amp of current . So that means I have a way of limiting current going to the USB charger .
2A adapter ( 1A actual ) Here we have all of 5watt to play with . Depending on the voltage state of the battery being charged , you could very well pump 5Watt into the charger ( less any losses ) . If you do your math , that is a potential charge rate of around 4+ Amps ( depending on how much power is absorbed by the charger ) and the actual voltage state of the battery . ( Yikes ! ) I did have a battery ( old ) that had a resting voltage of 0.6v , and I did use the 2A adapter and it did hit 0.97A on the Charge Doctor ... Single battery charge ( Yes it did charge quickly )

1A adapter ( 0.5A actual ) This is much better in my humble opinion as we have some 2.5Watt to play with . Even with half as many watt's to play with the potential is there to charge a single AA at potentially over 2A .. Charging 2 to 4 AA would make much better sense . I am rather sure one of my USB wall adapters does 0.25A , and I would be much happier using that ( 0.25A ) , especially if I only had one or two batteries to charge .

0.5A adapter ( 0.25 actual ) This is again a better option if only charging one or two batteries as we only have 1.25Watt to play with . This means we have about a 1A maximum charge rate for a single battery , and half that for two and half again as much for 4 . It's good to have a half dozen USB wall adapters .

Charging
This is a small charger , and on receiving and opening the package I was a little surprised at just how small and light this charger was . At just under 8cm long and just over 4cm wide and weighing next to nothing , I wasn't sure how well it would work or how long it would work . Well I have been put in my place I have to tell you . For such a small light FAST Charger , the first thing to amaze me was the lack of overcharging . And the second thing to amaze me was the lack of heat , the charger actually runs cool . Even @ 5 watt's , only the batteries get warm , the actual charger remains cool . Now I am not sure if the charger actually terminates or trickle charges on completion . At the moment I have no way of getting probes into such a small space to be able to monitor what is going on , but I will remedy this by making a dummy battery that is connected to an actual battery ( AA or 14500 ) and has a Amp meter and voltage meter in the circuit ( This will be in the future - perhaps weeks depending on EBay sellers )
The charger has little lights over each battery bay , and these blink slowly ( at the start ) and then quickly as you near the end . And on completion they should be a solid light , but depending on the battery ( condition ) the voltage may not reach a point where the lights stop blinking , so the charger may be trying to reach a certain voltage state ( ? ) This is why I use a Charge Doctor , It shows the current going to the charger , and when it reaches 0.01/0.02A , I know the batteries are done and there is no need to rely on blinky lights . ( If you charge VIA USB - you really want a USB Charge Doctor )
To be honest I am not a fan of fast charging batteries , but at least with USB chargers you do have some control of just what USB power source you plug your USB charger into . Thus allowing you to control the charge rate , and if you have a Charge Doctor then you can monitor your charger on the fly .

Power Bank

IMGP1324_zpsblsatyf8.jpg

Pictured is the Z15 being used as a powerbank to feed a small Xtar charger with a 16340 . The instructions are in Chinese , so I believe all 4 batteries are being used to power any device . So with 2000mAh AA batteries , this could very well be a very small 8000mAh powerbank . The experiment I want to try is how many batteries are needed to Bank with ? And the answer is all 4 . 3 - 2 or 1 battery installed = no Banking available . Hmmm 4 x 1.5v or should that be 1.4v fully charged nimh , = 5.6v . So at what voltage does charging ( powerbank ) end ? 5v or maybe 4.2v ...
It's bad news folks , looks like the bank closes at 5v , and that means there is not that much power available to charge a device with or to power a device . At best it might work for a short time as an emergency power supply for your phone or USB device . ( depending on power demands ) If you were to throw in some Lithium or Alkaline batteries ( ? ) , as they have a higher nominal voltage , you may be able to have a longer lasting powerbank . I did throw in some Alkalines @ 1.6v to see if they would work for the powerbank mode ........ and ....... yes it works . So a little disappointing the 5v cut off as it does not utilize the nimh batteries to their full potential . ( Nor any other AA battery - possibly Lithium could be ok ( ? )

Last Word

Would I recommend this charger to joe six pack ? ........ not really !
I would how ever recommend this charger to anyone who is an enthusiast ( has a clue ) . If you use this charger intelligently , then it has the potential to be a great little charger . I was amazed myself how small , light and how cool it ran even at what I would call high current for AA charging . It could be used in a car VIA a sigaret lighter USB adapter , or powered by a solar panel ( due to the current potential , I would not connect it to a Computer USB port ) . The charger is insanely light weight so could be great for back packing .
It is a fast charger , there is no doubt about that . So if you are a fan of such then you really should take a look at the Xiaomi Z15 AA/AAA USB charger .. It works , it runs cool and it recharges batteries . It worked for me ( I like it ) only because I have half a dozen USB wall adapters of varying current capability allowing me to change the nature of the beast ( tame it so to speak ) .
The powerbank feature (?) a little disappointing with the 5v cut off , but could - would - should work better with Alkalines or Lithium ( possibly ) . The question I keep asking myself is , could it be better for the asking price ( $10 USD ) , and I just don't see it . The Z15 would need to be completely rebuilt on a larger body ( possibly ) to incorporate some sort of boost circuit to maintain 5v for the battery bank . That's more parts , a re design , more money to build and would be an entirely new product . So I can only conclude the Z15 is pretty much all it can be , and for anyone reading this the question would be is it enough ! Does it do what you want ? ( For $10 USD )
To date I have charged over 40 batteries , amazing considering the short time ( 3 days ) I have been playing with the charger . I would seriously recommend a USB wall adapter that limits current to 0.5A or 0.25A if you plan on using the Z15 as a primary AA charger . Especially if you charge one or two batteries at a time , as prolonged high current charging may shorten battery life . For occasional or emergency charging the Z15 will do the job extremely well , and I can see this charger connected to a Solar panel . There are applications where this charger could be the bees knees and it does perform as advertised .

I would like to thank Gearbest for allowing me to test this charger ..

keithy

Enlightened
Thanks. I mentioned this charger over in another thread:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...H-AA-AAA-4-slot-USB-charger-(and-batterybank)

I ordered mine on the 25th May from Gearbest, but still haven't received it in Melbourne :( When did yours ship from GB?

But at least your tests seem to indicate it is a faster charger than my current four slot USB input AA/AAA chargers.

I intend on using mine both with my USB solar panels when bushwalking, and as a portable travel NiMH charger as well.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. I mentioned this charger over in another thread:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...H-AA-AAA-4-slot-USB-charger-(and-batterybank)

I ordered mine on the 25th May from Gearbest, but still haven't received it in Melbourne :( When did yours ship from GB?

But at least your tests seem to indicate it is a faster charger than my current four slot USB input AA/AAA chargers.

I intend on using mine both with my USB solar panels when bushwalking, and as a portable travel NiMH charger as well.

Variables :
Was the charger listed as in stock when purchased ?
If not , it then has to come from the distributor or manufacturer to GB

Mine was Couriered : So came quickly ...

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I charged 4 x 2300mah nimh cells in my Z15 i received yesterday, once charged i switched to power bank mode and connected an usb power monitor and then connected an 5w usb led light, the usb light was drawing 480ma, when the charger went flat only 1584mah was consumed by the usb led light.

Also i tried to charge my phone, the charger only outputs 500-600ma and the usb voltage dropped to 4.85v

John.

Last edited:

keithy

Enlightened
Variables :
Was the charger listed as in stock when purchased ?
If not , it then has to come from the distributor or manufacturer to GB

Mine was Couriered : So came quickly ...

Yes, it was in stock. John (Tinderbox UK) ordered his later 27th May and both shipped on same day. I think I used my GB points to pay for the Line shipping. Usually the Line shipping takes 7-10 days to get to Melbourne from past orders. Oh well, hopefully it gets here on Tuesday.

I don't expect much from using it as a powerbank. I have a few USB chargers that also act as powerbanks, and even with Eneloops, it is pretty average performance compared with decent 18650 powerbanks.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can this charger be powered through a laptop USB port? USB 1 and 2 output 500mA. USB 3 outputs 900mA. I read somewhere.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have tried charging it from my usb3 ports twice, I have an usb power meter, when charging 4 AA 2100mah nimh, when i connect the charger to the notebooks usb3 port the meter shows a couple of spikes at just over 1000ma, but then only shows the charger using between 400-500ma and after 5-10min the charger starts to flash the charging led`s fast on all slots meaning an error, this has happened both times i have tried to charge from my notebooks usb 3.0 ports.

3rd time with 4 empty eneloops, charged for over a hour before giving the fast flashing led error, charger consumed 565mah according to my usb power monitor.

So that charger will not charge 4 AA 2300mah nimh cells from my notebooks usb3 ports.

When charging from an 2.4amp usb power source, the charger pulls just over 1000ma.

Why it continues to pull approx 280ma when all slots have finished charging is an concern.

John.

Can this charger be powered through a laptop USB port? USB 1 and 2 output 500mA. USB 3 outputs 900mA. I read somewhere.

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
TinderBox,

Thanks so much for the info. So I guess no charging from computer usb ports for this charger. I am really attracted to the small size and might still get it to charge through a wall adapter.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
The USB output is limited to 500ma is that enough for you, newer phones need 1000ma to charge.

John.

TinderBox,

Thanks so much for the info. So I guess no charging from computer usb ports for this charger. I am really attracted to the small size and might still get it to charge through a wall adapter.

keithy

Enlightened
Curious as to why its not charging from a PC USB socket.

I'm still waiting on mine. Received another Gearbest order that came to Australia via Germany so I'm hoping this ones late cos its come from there as well.

keithy

Enlightened
Anybody know what the 5 and 7 i have marked in red on the charger specifications, they are opposite the AA and AAA charging current.

John - that character literally means "number". In China, AA batteries are also known as No.5 (#5) and AAA batteries are No.7 (#7).

Above it are the Input (1A) and Output (0.5A).

I wonder if it is doing a trickle charge to terminate, which is why it is still drawing after the LED comes on.

Still not received mine yet, so I can't test it myself.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks i did not know that :)

Yeah, we need to know if it trickle charges after the charging is supposedly done.

John.

John - that character literally means "number". In China, AA batteries are also known as No.5 (#5) and AAA batteries are No.7 (#7).

Above it are the Input (1A) and Output (0.5A).

I wonder if it is doing a trickle charge to terminate, which is why it is still drawing after the LED comes on.

Still not received mine yet, so I can't test it myself.

HKJ

Flashaholic
It is a top-off charge and will terminate in 1 or 2 hours.
I have a review ready, but it will a week or two before I post it.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Henrik

I watched the charger pulling 280ma (usb power monitor) for just over an hour after the charging was supposed it have stopped, So maybe it`s stops after 2hrs
Looking forward to the review :popcorn:

John.

keithy

Enlightened

Great HKJ! Look forward to it. :thumbsup:

I was thinking that if it was any good, I would get one sent to you for testing.