Muyshondt Maus Flashlight

Ladd

Enlightened
Nice looking light, like the other Muyshondts. N-cells are uncommon, but I love my old brass n-cell Peak.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the size and design. Not sure how much power a N-cell holds.
I was reading persco's instagram update and he points to the levels still being an issue. Low is too high and medium is useless.
As much as I appreciate Enrique's products I wish he would get it right when choosing levels. The low needs to be lower and the mediums are always too close to low. 1, 10, 60 lumens sounds nice in practice but I really want a light with noticeable level differences and no visible PWM.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I want to know is where he found a boost driver stack the diameter of an N cell.

nbp

Flashaholic
He's an electrical engineer so I think all his drivers are custom for him.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will it run on the lower voltage of NiMH N-cell ?
On Instagram, Enrique didn't say it would not run on them when someone asked if there are any rechargeable N-cell batteries. He only responded that he knew there were NiMH N-cell batteries but was unsure of any chargers for them.

I'm hoping it will, I wouldn't mind picking one of these up in aluminum (when available) for my keychain.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was reading persco's instagram update and he points to the levels still being an issue. Low is too high and medium is useless.
As much as I appreciate Enrique's products I wish he would get it right when choosing levels. The low needs to be lower and the mediums are always too close to low. 1, 10, 60 lumens sounds nice in practice but I really want a light with noticeable level differences and no visible PWM.

"Still?" Seriously? It's a prototype. One you haven't handled. One that has has a highly positive response from the few people who have, including persco, who you've quoted out of context. I have stated more than once that the levels would be different in production based on prototype testing. Comments like these are why I debate whether or not to even show the prototyping process to people at all.

As for the rest, you're certainly entitled to your opinion. Light intensities are selected to be generally useful, and apparently do not cater to your specific preference. Whether you like it or not, my approach for 10 years has been found broadly agreeable, and you are one of the few who has ever complained about it.

archimedes: An NiMH N cell should be fine, provided you can find a good one, and a suitable charger. Crappy batteries of any chemistry will give crappy performance. As per usual, 3.7-4.2V+ Li-Ions will toast things, don't use them.

In general, if any of you have any questions regarding any of my lights, e-mail me at [email protected] and I'd be happy to answer them for you. The only one here who knows anything about my designs is me - the rest is idle (and often incorrect) speculation. A thread related to the Maus will be posted in the next few days in Custom Titanium B/S/T - stay tuned! In the meantime feel free to visit www.bit.ly/mausmki

Enrique

Last edited:

RGRAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
For size comparison:

The Maus Mk l is 14.5mm x 53.25mm N-cell
The MBI HF-R is 14mm x 57mm 10250

archimedes

Flashaholic
archimedes: An NiMH N cell should be fine, provided you can find a good one, and a suitable charger. Crappy batteries of any chemistry will give crappy performance. As per usual, 3.7-4.2V+ Li-Ions will toast things, don't use them.

Battery safety and performance are interests of mine .... I only use quality cells, thanks.

Since I don't use IG, FB, or wherever else a lot of the custom makers have left here to join, it is appreciated to still see you around CPF occasionally.

If you wouldn't mind sharing the drive currents and minimum voltage, that would be useful information to know.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
due to multiple small lights being discussed recently, I did a quick comparison of volume, chemistry, and lumens

volume cu cmHigh CRIAnsi lumens
illuminex 1018016no8/130
maus N24yes.7/7/40
MBI HF 1025025yes.2/15/50/200/400
maratac AAA28no/yes40/1.5/138
aeon CR235yes.6/5/120
note maratac is not High CRI stock, but the Nichia Tool head is interchageable
note aeon and maus lumens are reported as Ansi (maker reports OTF lumens)

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
True Dat on the levels. Really want some moonlight.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
True Dat on the levels. Really want some moonlight.

1-10-60 are OTF levels,
speaking Ansi, if 0.7 is not moon like enough for you, the MBI offers 0.2
which battery chemistry do you prefer, N for $450, or 10250 for $138?

I answered my ... question.

good job, (both offer the same LED) so, which battery, price, and modes did you choose?:)
I recommend Copper! Titanium is a terrible heat conductor.