High Vis and strong side vis rear bike light

super kermit

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a easy to see in high volume traffic from directly behind my bike and to the sides of my bike.

Open to any suggestions please.

Thanks

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Cateye light looks nice. They've always done a good job of optics design and mechanical design. Interesting to see the differences between this one and the LD630 that I've been using. The LD630 is similar to the Planet Bike Superflash, especially in regards to producing a rather tight beam. It works fine for the rural roads that I ride, but the wide pattern of the Rapid X3 would be great for urban streets.

Maybe the best solution is to run both lights on a bike??

GCN's video is pretty good, and the comparisons between lights (in their second video) is very informative. My only gripe is the use of lumens as an indication of intensity. I'm not expecting guys like this to understand the difference between luminous flux and intensity, though. It would be nice if the manufacturers would publish data on their beam patterns, but that would either confuse the consumer or point out how their competitor produced a better light.

angerdan

Enlightened
Maybe the best solution is to run both lights on a bike?
For use in Urban Environment, there are also several other very bright and wide angle possibilities:
Niteflux Red Zone 8
Orfos Flare light
See.Sense ICON Rear Light
Specialized Flux Rearlight
Xeccon Geinea rear light

kj2

Flashaholic
I use a Klarus TL1 has rear light. Mostly use the lowest mode of 20 lumens.
This picture, made with my Nexus 6P, shows the low mode during daylight when I parked my bike underneath a highway passing.
Oversized pic

Last edited by a moderator:

1nterceptor

Newly Enlightened
Top to bottom - helmet mounted Niterider Lumina Flare is mine. Knogg Blinder 4, Cateye Rapid X2 and Light & Motion VIS 180 Micro were borrowed:
Rear lites test, East River path NYC by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Rear lites test, Timessquare NYC by 1nterceptor, on Flickr

Top to bottom:
Helmet mounted; Blackburn 2'fer(front) and Niterider Lumina Flare(rear).
Cygolite Hotshot Pro 80
Cygolite Hotshot Micro
Blitzu Cyborg 168T
Niterider Solas 150

Since this was a group/mass ride; all lights were set at their lowest steady setting:
Brooklyn Bike Rave by 1nterceptor, on Flickr