Olight - R50        

Thread: DIY lumen measuring device. Integrating shpere, and lumen tube.

Default DIY lumen measuring device. Integrating shpere, and lumen tube.

Hi all,

I made this vid to show a couple of cheap easy ways to build a measurement system. You wont get lab grade results from these, but you can get a fairly accurate test with a little bit if fine tuning.

Thanks for watching.
    Last edited by vestureofblood; 06-21-2016 at 11:04 AM.
    In Him (Jesus Christ) was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
    FS: Everyday Carry Lights Upgrades for Maglite.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: DIY lumen measureing device. Integrating shpere, and lumen tube.

Great job Matt. Can't wait to see the next vid.

"Fairly accurate" might even be an understatement. Compared to the lumen output claims of so many sellers out there... this gadget is extremely accurate. ;-)

Good post, Matt

Well done mate. Educational, and enjoyable.

Default Re: DIY lumen measuring device. Integrating shpere, and lumen tube.

Very nice! Great idea. Thanks

Thanks for the support gang

Quote Originally Posted by wimmer21 View Post
    "Fairly accurate" might even be an understatement. Compared to the lumen output claims of so many sellers out there... this gadget is extremely accurate. ;-)

Good post, Matt

LOL!
    In Him (Jesus Christ) was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

Flashaholic*

That's a great video VOB, thanks for posting it. I'm really tempted to try this, especially the foam "integrating rectangle."

Nice job. I use my IS whenever there's a question about output.
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights* Please text msg, phone or email through contact page at www:Precision.Works

Quote Originally Posted by SG Hall View Post
    That's a great video VOB, thanks for posting it. I'm really tempted to try this, especially the foam "integrating rectangle."
    That's what sold me.

Quote Originally Posted by wimmer21 View Post
    That's what sold me.
    Time for some dumpster diving hey...

bump...

Matt, you read my mind. After seeing your setup from your latest video, I was gonna email you about an instructional! Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by liteboy View Post
    Matt, you read my mind. After seeing your setup from your latest video, I was gonna email you about an instructional! Thanks!!!
    Glad to help if I can

Yeah Matt, this video is truly awesome. I still need to set mine up so that parameters are more locked in, but it definitely is already giving me accurate readings off my multiplier just from holding the lights approximately in place. I will try to give you're channel a shout out sometime soon for this video and anyone who wants to be able to measure their own flashlights. I recently started making some flashlight videos with some hobby stuff on YT. I didn't get around to making the delux model with the parts out of the dumpster or anything, just went to HomeDepot like a bum. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Impossible lumens View Post
    Yeah Matt, this video is truly awesome. I still need to set mine up so that parameters are more locked in, but it definitely is already giving me accurate readings off my multiplier just from holding the lights approximately in place. I will try to give you're channel a shout out sometime soon for this video and anyone who wants to be able to measure their own flashlights. I recently started making some flashlight videos with some hobby stuff on YT. I didn't get around to making the delux model with the parts out of the dumpster or anything, just went to HomeDepot like a bum. lol
    Thank you. What is your channel name?

Quote Originally Posted by vestureofblood View Post
    Thank you. What is your channel name?
    No problem, I like your videos. My channel is davemz999. I never changed it from my original YouTube name once I started uploading videos. Maybe I'll think of something nice to call it at some time in the future. BTW I watched your video about increase the lux of your L6. I ordered some of the resistors you show in the video and man those things are way tiny. I ordered 10 and all 10 were about the same size I was expecting one of them to be. Can I ask, are they supposed to be that small? I hope I don't ruin my Convoy driver when attempting installation. Anyway, I subscribed to your channel because the information was helpful.

I like the tripod you featured in one of your vids. I think I will get one, its better quality that what I would have expected. The resistor size on the L6 driver should be a 1206 footprint. These will match what is on there. If you got smaller ones by mistake they could still work if you can bridge the gap between contacts with solder.

Bump.

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1479259962.083897.jpg

No self respecting flashlight collector should be without a sphere, IMHO. This is my best purchase in a while and Matt really hit this one out of the park, with the ZL sc600 mkiii HI measuring within about 50 lumens of published numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by vestureofblood View Post
    I like the tripod you featured in one of your vids. I think I will get one, its better quality that what I would have expected. The resistor size on the L6 driver should be a 1206 footprint. These will match what is on there. If you got smaller ones by mistake they could still work if you can bridge the gap between contacts with solder.
    I think that's what I did, bridge the gap. lol. The light is still working with SD and boosted output, so I did something right. Barely. I do now have some various 1206 sized resistors though for my next attempt.