DIY lumen measuring device. Integrating shpere, and lumen tube.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

I made this vid to show a couple of cheap easy ways to build a measurement system. You wont get lab grade results from these, but you can get a fairly accurate test with a little bit if fine tuning.

Thanks for watching.

Last edited:

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: DIY lumen measureing device. Integrating shpere, and lumen tube.

"Fairly accurate" might even be an understatement. Compared to the lumen output claims of so many sellers out there... this gadget is extremely accurate. ;-)

Good post, Matt

Skeeterg

Enlightened

Well done mate. Educational, and enjoyable.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the support gang :)

"Fairly accurate" might even be an understatement. Compared to the lumen output claims of so many sellers out there... this gadget is extremely accurate. ;-)

Good post, Matt

LOL!

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Matt, you read my mind. After seeing your setup from your latest video, I was gonna email you about an instructional! Thanks!!!

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
Yeah Matt, this video is truly awesome. I still need to set mine up so that parameters are more locked in, but it definitely is already giving me accurate readings off my multiplier just from holding the lights approximately in place. I will try to give you're channel a shout out sometime soon for this video and anyone who wants to be able to measure their own flashlights. I recently started making some flashlight videos with some hobby stuff on YT. I didn't get around to making the delux model with the parts out of the dumpster or anything, just went to HomeDepot like a bum. lol

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah Matt, this video is truly awesome. I still need to set mine up so that parameters are more locked in, but it definitely is already giving me accurate readings off my multiplier just from holding the lights approximately in place. I will try to give you're channel a shout out sometime soon for this video and anyone who wants to be able to measure their own flashlights. I recently started making some flashlight videos with some hobby stuff on YT. I didn't get around to making the delux model with the parts out of the dumpster or anything, just went to HomeDepot like a bum. lol

Thank you. What is your channel name?

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
Thank you. What is your channel name?
No problem, I like your videos. My channel is davemz999. I never changed it from my original YouTube name once I started uploading videos. Maybe I'll think of something nice to call it at some time in the future. BTW I watched your video about increase the lux of your L6. I ordered some of the resistors you show in the video and man those things are way tiny. I ordered 10 and all 10 were about the same size I was expecting one of them to be. Can I ask, are they supposed to be that small? I hope I don't ruin my Convoy driver when attempting installation. Anyway, I subscribed to your channel because the information was helpful.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the tripod you featured in one of your vids. I think I will get one, its better quality that what I would have expected. The resistor size on the L6 driver should be a 1206 footprint. These will match what is on there. If you got smaller ones by mistake they could still work if you can bridge the gap between contacts with solder.

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1479259962.083897.jpg

No self respecting flashlight collector should be without a sphere, IMHO. This is my best purchase in a while and Matt really hit this one out of the park, with the ZL sc600 mkiii HI measuring within about 50 lumens of published numbers.

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
I like the tripod you featured in one of your vids. I think I will get one, its better quality that what I would have expected. The resistor size on the L6 driver should be a 1206 footprint. These will match what is on there. If you got smaller ones by mistake they could still work if you can bridge the gap between contacts with solder.
I think that's what I did, bridge the gap. lol. The light is still working with SD and boosted output, so I did something right. Barely. I do now have some various 1206 sized resistors though for my next attempt.