Cheapie keychain 1xAAA tailcap clicky?

eggsalad

Enlightened
My EDC is an EagleTac PN20a2. But it's not always on me.

On my keyring is a giveaway light with 3 button cells and 3 discrete LEDs. It's junk, and it's flaky, and it needs to go. Aside from being crap, every time I replace the button cells, I spend more than the value of the light!

I'm looking for:
As physically small as practical for a 1xAAA
Tailcap clicky switch (because it's what I'm used to
1 mode is plenty. I really don't want more than that
Ideally under $20, $15 even better

Thank you.

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
Most AAA lights these days are twisties(which also makes the light shorter), and many have multiple modes, so choice is somewhat limited. There are some older Tank007 lights that fit the bill, but are tough to find.
The Fenix LD02 is nice but has multiple modes. Same with the Thrunite Ti5, plus the Ti5 is quite long. The BudgetLightForum 348 is on sale for $8 and is quite a nice budget light with a high CRI emitter, but is quite long and I don't think it has an attachment point for a keychain.
The Astrolux A01 is a fairly nice light, $12, small, high CRI, comes in many colours- but it is a multimode twisty with questionable QC.
The Olight i3e hits almost every point but is a twisty. Even the copper version fits in your budget though.
Since I'm just spitballing ideas I'll mention the Nitecore Tube. Only $10, and rechargeable by micro USB.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I came here to basically say everything that TheShadowGuy said. lol. The little BLF 348 is what I would jump on. I have a bunch. They are all solid little performers. However, they don't have a way to connect it to your keys. But clip to your pants? It is so small you will forget you have it. The Astrolux in copper is a nice light, the Aluminum is a coin toss on quality. I have bought over a dozen, 1/2 were good, the others needed some tweaks to work correctly. But, the Copper, all been really really nice. A tad heavier, but good quality.

I would also add, the Lumintop Tool AAA. This is a really nice light! I know it is a few dollars more, but man is it nice. Worth a look.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...AAA)-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-VIDEO-and-more!

ronniepudding

Enlightened
+1 for Nitecore Tube.

I've been carrying a Tube on my key ring for ~ a year and a half, and it has held up well. It is a single mode light the way I use it ;) -- I've trained myself to always double-click for high mode, and I hardly ever use any of the lower brightness levels, but I suppose I'm glad they're there for an emergency situation.

I realize it's not exactly what the OP asked for, but I firmly believe it's the one of the best choices for Keychain carry. Weighs about as much as a key, and recharges via mini USB plug.

In AAA form, I like both the Lumintop Tool, and the BLF 348... but both are too big and heavy for a keyring IMHO. They are better suited to clipping to a shirt pocket, or carrying in a pen slot in your bag.

parametrek

Enlightened
The Streamlight Microstream is really popular. Single mode (28 lumens) and can be easily found for $15-$20.

Coast makes a bunch. G10, G19, A9. These can be found for under $15. (The G10 for under $10.) And Led Lenser makes one, the P2BM. It is unique for being one of the smallest zoomable flashlights.

tops2

Enlightened
While quite long with the tail clicky option, I like the Lumintop Tool AAA. There's 3 modes but the aluminium comes in M-L-H order so with the first on, you get a good middle level to work with.

outofthedarkness

Enlightened
Try the UltraTac K18 , Ive just bought this today so can't comment on how good it is but theres reviews on here... Its a AAA light and can produce 360 lumens using a 10440 battery. Its got a forward clicky on it

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Ultra Tac is a side clicky, which may take more time than you'd like to find the switch. I have had an aluminum Lumintop Tool activate unintentionally but that may not be a problem for you. The Nitecore Tube should be something you try: Easy to recharge, decent low mode and bright enough for nearby tasks. The Stainless clicky DQG I have has a warm tint and 'next mode' 2 level switching. I like the Supfire (BLF) 348 a lot but it is a pocket torch with a beautiful tint, and with a 10440, it gets hot hot in a couple minutes, NiMh is great; not so bright as the 10440 and still very useful. I have a heavy TrustFire Z-10 that gets a lot of pocket time, quite throwy for such a little light. Supfire, DQG, and TrustFire all have switches that would be hard to accidently activate, from my perspective.