jw Speaker TS4000

Bill Idaho

Newly Enlightened
I have been blessed with an unexpected cash flow, and since I am in the market for something (LED) (see previous thread a few months ago) for the front of my 2003 Dodge pickup, I have decided to go with apparently one of the the brightest LED lights going at this time- the JW Speaker TS4000. I have looked for a video of the TS4000 on the web, but it seems my web-fu is weak, as I cannot find a single video showing it at its glory. Plenty of JW Speaker's other lights, but not the TS4000. Anyway, I have read nothing but good about it, and I am a firm believer of "buy once-cry once" in regards to the price.
Anyone seen these things in the wild? Last chance for someone to talk me out of it, otherwise I'm making the call.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't have that exact model, but did put JSW's into my Jeep Wrangler. Holy smokes what a difference.
They were very bright with a decent pattern. There was this odd little triangle along the top edge of the beam, but they are amazing.

Mullet

Newly Enlightened
I am considering them for my Jeep. please post a review. very little information on them online....

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am considering them for my Jeep. please post a review. very little information on them online....
The problem with most reviews is that the reviews are done by and for people who really aren't qualified to review the most important parts-- a lamp's performance can't be judged by what you see. Good lamps and bad lamp can receive equal reviews (and in some cases, the worse lamps will rate *better*).

Of course, there are other parts of the reviews that are somewhat worthwhile-- a lamp may be built physically well and have a variety of mounting options, and may be aesthetically pleasing-- but the part that means the post, photometric performance, is not within the means of most people to provide.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am no expert, so a very brief review.
I have very poor night vision after 2 detached retina surgeries.
I have a VW Golf with the lighting package. Those lights are amazing, but I sit so low, I hate driving this at night or in the winter.
So, I bought a Jeep Wrangler, sit up higher, helps with oncoming traffic lights, angle looking ahead/down is better that the Golf, but the stock headlight are pathetic.
Really pathetic.
I scoured the 4x4 forums for Jeep headlight upgrades. I found JW Speakers with good reviews from real life driving experience.
So, I bought a pair.
They rival, if not outperform the VW Golf.
The field of view is great. Hot spots on the road, with plenty of spill to light up the ditches on both sides of the road.
The top of the beam it flat, with 2 little triangle bumps. Not sure why. These are a bit distracting, but not too bad, and everyone seems to have these.
Colour is on the cooler side, but not the harsh blue.
I really like them for all weather conditions. Dry, Wet and Snow.

A gauge I use is "Would I buy them again?", and without hesitations, if I replace my Jeep, I would get another set the day I get the Jeep.
I loved them on a late fall drive to Prince George from Vancouver ( 1/2 way to the Yukon Border).
No issues with snow buildup on them, saw wildlife on the sides of the road with enough time to react should they have bolted across at me.
Never used them offroad at night, so no comment there.

They do use PWM for high/low. I never noticed it while driving, BUT, you cannot video the lights, you get a wikked flicker.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
They do use PWM for high/low. I never noticed it while driving, BUT, you cannot video the lights, you get a wikked flicker.
It's the Jeep itself that's doing the PWM. JW Speaker have an anti-flicker harness for the older model Evolution lamps; or did you already get a model with that built-in (in which case, it still might not be able to remove *all* the flicker).

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The top of the beam it flat, with 2 little triangle bumps. Not sure why.

That's your high-intensity hot spot to provide the long distance "finger of light" down the road on the right side and provide the visual delineation for horizontal aim.

If you have an '07 or newer Wrangler, those run PWM on the headlamp circuit so you either need to buy the special Jeep-specific headlamps which have the anti-flicker circuitry built in, or, if you buy the non-Jeep headlamps you need anti-flicker adaptors (those are the JW Speaker adaptors; the Truck-Lite adaptors are another option that will work with the JW Speaker headlamps).

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was quick in my writing, Yes it is the Jeep programming that uses the PWM.
I have a 2014 Wrangler Sport.
My version of the JWS had the antiflicker harness. The only time it is noticeable is in video's.
My understanding was, the earlier lights had a huge issue, where they would go off when switching between HIGH & LOW, then come back one after a few seconds. The antiflicker harness solved that problem.

64.5vette

Newly Enlightened
That isnt PWM dimming, you are noticing a strobing from the rolling shutter of your camera.

Mullet

Newly Enlightened
I am no expert, so a very brief review.
I have very poor night vision after 2 detached retina surgeries.
I have a VW Golf with the lighting package. Those lights are amazing, but I sit so low, I hate driving this at night or in the winter.
So, I bought a Jeep Wrangler, sit up higher, helps with oncoming traffic lights, angle looking ahead/down is better that the Golf, but the stock headlight are pathetic.
Really pathetic.
I scoured the 4x4 forums for Jeep headlight upgrades. I found JW Speakers with good reviews from real life driving experience.
So, I bought a pair.
They rival, if not outperform the VW Golf.

Thanks for the info, but my interest was in Bill's perceptions of the JW Speaker TS4000 offroad lights -- that is what I am curious about. I already have the 7" JW Speaker headlights in my 2016 Jeep Wrangler, and they are indeed an improvement over the poor quality stock headlights.

I recognize that human perceptions are fallible, but in lieu of a formal scientific test I thought I'd ask Bill for his impressions.

Mullet
Bend, Oregon

Bill Idaho

Newly Enlightened
Stand by. I ordered them two weeks ago, and haven't got them yet.
I don't think I will mention the dealer I decided on, but was told (recorded with my digital recorder) they were in stock, and would go out the same day they get my money (I don't use credit/debit cards--or checks for that matter-- just old fashioned cash and US Postal money orders, but I digress....). Upon arrival and installation, I will offer my non-scientific opinion. The lady on the phone told me just today they should go out Monday---or so.
(Side note: that particular dealer will not get any of my money again.)

Bill Idaho

Newly Enlightened
Whilst (I love using that word) I await the arrival of my TS4000's, I got to thinking (which always cost me a lost of money), are there generic vinyl/cordura covers for these lights? Something along the lines of infamous yellow KC Daylighter covers-only with no advertising. The JW Speaker website makes no mention of any. Primarily, I sure would like to keep them covered when not in use, to protect them from rocks and fading/clouding of the lens. (And secondarily, nothing says "steal me" like a pair of $600 lights!)
And, BTW, I just called them, and was assured they would be here today.......it's almost like awaiting my first born son. Just about as long, and just about as expensive. It will remain to be seen which one is/was brighter.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are there generic vinyl/cordura covers for these lights? Something along the lines of infamous yellow KC Daylighter covers-only with no advertising. The JW Speaker website makes no mention of any. Primarily, I sure would like to keep them covered when not in use, to protect them from rocks and fading/clouding of the lens. (And secondarily, nothing says "steal me" like a pair of $600 lights!)

Probably! It does seem most of them are branded. Maybe KC-branded covers will prevent people who know anything about lights from stealing them.

There are anti-theft brackets and hardware and such to slow down a thief, but maybe something like heavy headphone bags with drawstrings can help soften some blows, even if they afford no other anti-theft protection other than hiding what brand the lamps are. Maybe you could invent a laminate that looks like a shattered lens with a ruined reflector behind it to camouflage them!

And, BTW, I just called them, and was assured they would be here today.......it's almost like awaiting my first born son. Just about as long, and just about as expensive. It will remain to be seen which one is/was brighter.
The lamps or the first-born son? :)

Bill Idaho

Newly Enlightened
Ok, the brown truck arrived yesterday afternoon. I've been busy since. Here is my humble review:
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the dealer I went through was less than stellar. The lights were packaged in a heavy cardboard box. When I opened the box, the plastic bag containing all of the wiring parts had opened and were strewn about inside. No real big deal.
I had everything ready on my bench, so installation went relatively easy-however- it's a good thing JW Speaker has the installation instructions in PDF format on their website. Of the 4 or 5 pages, which included the wiring diagram, the box I received only had the first page. Annoying, but again, no real big deal.
The lights themselves are solid well built units. The mounting bolts and related brackets are made out of what appears to be stainless steel. (As a former machinist, they had a stainless finish, I never did take a magnet to them.)
I did notice, the "U" shaped mounting bracket that actually attaches to the bottom of the light was a little more than 1/16" inch wider than the light housing. Rather than stress the "U" shaped bracket when tightening down the bracket to the light upon final installation, I decided to add a thin stainless steel washer to prevent the brackets from bending more than need be. Not a big deal, but I'm seeing a pattern developing here.
I used the aiming instructions provided BY MY TABLET (see above) to aim the lights, which was pretty easy, and waited until dark. Because of my family dynamics, I was going to have to keep my 5 year old grand-daughter I am raising up after her normal bed time, so as soon as it was dark enough to see these things in their alleged glory, I headed out to the dry hills not far from my house.

Since my interest in searchlights, and recently this project, I have learned much more than I ever thought I would know about lux, lumens, candlepower, etc. By NO means an expert, far from it, but what I would call smarter-than-your-average-bear. As one of the (impressive) moderators here has already stated, photographs cannot accurately detail the performance of a light. The human brain processes more than a still shot (or even a video) can capture. That being said, I parked my pickup on a flat level piece of ground at our local gun range which goes out to about 920 yards. There are dirt berms and target frames out to 500 yards. (info: the lights are about 28 inches apart, and the center of the lights are about 23 inches from the ground. I did a quick comparison-factory low beams, factory high beams, factory low beam with (factory) fog lights, and then the TS4000's. Here is my most accurate description of the illumination of these lights...................

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mullet

Newly Enlightened
And this, in part, is why I value Bill's admittedly non-scientific, non data based impressions.

Approximately how much farther than the high beams is illuminated?

I was pretty sure the lights came with all black plastic covers with the JW Speaker logo embossed. You might check with JWS.

Thanks for the write up.

Mullet