An easy way to carry my Spy 007 & Tain (clipless lights)

jskelton

Newly Enlightened
When I received these two lights, my immediate concern was dropping them in my pocket with a keyfob, and damaging the finish of the lights unnecessarily. I expect normal wear and tear over the years, I just don't need to purposefully accelerate it.

I looked around the forums and really only found solutions for putting on my belt with a big, bulky holster. Not my style. I wanted something form-fitting, super slim and lightweight. All it needed to do really was provide a layer between hard surfaces, that's it.

So I went over to my buddy Jack Andress and asked if he could whip something up super-fast. Jack lives in the next town over from me, and he's the guy I rely on for high end leather for my custom fixed blade knives, and I knew he would have a solution.

13435539_1244446658921602_6528793783078059272_n.jpg

13516154_1244446662254935_3417760417284455864_n.jpg

Nothing fancy, nothing terribly hard to do, but they work great. I'm carrying my Tain today for the first time because of the sheath.

Since I haven't seen any sponsored subforums for accessory makers, I'm assuming that posting about this isn't stepping on anyone's toes. If so, mods, please LMK.

For those that have a Cool Fall or a Tain Aura, I suggested to Jack that he save the measurements, that way you guys could contact him for one without the need to send in your light. I know that only helps a few of you, but it's something I guess :eek:.

You can contact him via FB messenger through his page here: https://www.facebook.com/jack.andress.50 or PM me and I'll pass along his cell number to you.

jskelton

Newly Enlightened
Also, he can do pretty much anything, so you wouldn't have to get yours exactly like mine.

Here are examples of the sheaths he has made for my knives, to give you an idea of his overall craftsmanship:

13319989_1227901903909411_1401970214533147650_n.jpg

13322152_1227901887242746_5501153196457648956_n.jpg

12512545_1150529981646604_5503621698882355195_n.jpg

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
He does very nice work.
This looks like what I did. I got the idea from Chris Reeves. When I got one of his knives, I saw the awesome sheaths, then I got some leather scraps from Ebay ($15), leather needle for the machine ($3), and made my own. Granted, they are a tad rough, but they work well. Also, great for putting knives and lights in the safe or storage on a shelf. Keeps them from rolling or falling on the bottom frame of the safe.

I screwed up a Vintage Surefire dropping it on the safe! Now they all are safely tucked away.

jskelton

Newly Enlightened
He does very nice work.
This looks like what I did. I got the idea from Chris Reeves. When I got one of his knives, I saw the awesome sheaths, then I got some leather scraps from Ebay ($15), leather needle for the machine ($3), and made my own. Granted, they are a tad rough, but they work well. Also, great for putting knives and lights in the safe or storage on a shelf. Keeps them from rolling or falling on the bottom frame of the safe.

I screwed up a Vintage Surefire dropping it on the safe! Now they all are safely tucked away.

It's funny, my initial idea was to emulate the Chris Reeve slip-sheath, but these worked out better for me because they form-fit to the lights, no additional size over the size of the light. For someone that's always carrying things... I actually HATE stuff in my pocket LOL. So I needed to go as low profile as I could.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jim
Those look great.
On my first SPY, I had a friend make me a leather pouch similar to that.
I used it, but then after a few regular scratches, and since I use my light often, the process or removing it from the sheath etc got annoying, so I keep the SPY in my front right pocket, and nothing else goes in there with it.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Launch, I had the same problem, so the second one I made, I made larger, so the the light slides right in and out with ease. Just grab the Monkey knot and pull. It comes right out. So basically, I have a leather lined pocket in my pants! lol

jskelton

Newly Enlightened
Jim
Those look great.
On my first SPY, I had a friend make me a leather pouch similar to that.
I used it, but then after a few regular scratches, and since I use my light often, the process or removing it from the sheath etc got annoying, so I keep the SPY in my front right pocket, and nothing else goes in there with it.

That's my knife pocket, and I spend wayyyy more on those than my lights!

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like this idea. It would save the wear mark on my jeans.
Also less of a "print" showing on the outside. So you don't get the stupid ole' "is that a banana in your pocket" joke as much. Also if you bang into stuff walking around, it is less likely to leave a mark on the outside of your freshly pressed Wranglers. :thumbsup:

You mean a man-purse?

no no no, it is a Murse! or European-Carry All. So, it is much more sophisticated, you see? :poke: