Excellent Flashlight Adventure

ch4ins4w

Newly Enlightened
My son and I just returned from an excellent flashlight adventure. We packed up a few flashlights for each of us(Xtar Warboy headlamp, Modded Eagletac with XPL HI and Drjones Lucidrv2; Modded Olight M22 with XPL Hi; Surefire 6P with XPL Hi drop-in; and Solarforce with M3 head), and we hiked up a small mountain that has a view of our house. When we got to the top we looked around and tried to guess who could see us.

We realized a friend's house was in our view so we called him up. He said, "You're where?! Doing what!?" but he stepped outside and started laughing because our lights were blasting through the tree tops. His house is about a mile away and he said he could see the tree canopy clearly. He went in and got the Convoy S2 with XPL Hi bulb that I made for him, and we could see him no problem.

Next, we called home, and my daughter and wife stepped out into the yard with a 3 D cell Maglite modded with and XPL Hi bulb. It is 1.75 miles from our mountaintop to the yard and we could see it like a small sun. The instant my daughter turned it on, we could see it over all the other lights in the neighborhood. My wife took a picture of us with two lights going and it is remarkable how bright it is even from 1.75 miles and on a cell phone pic. I can't post a picture yet, but it is impressive how much light shows up even over that distance.

When my daughter and wife got bored and went inside, we crossed to the other side of the mountain and shined our lights on a ridge about .5 miles away. We could see into the gaps in the trees and I think we startled some unsuspecting campers.

Next time, we are going to have three groups spread out over three mountains and see if we can communicate. This was the most fun I've had with a flashlight since I blinded my little brother in our tent when we were teenagers.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like fun! My only thrower is a 3d mag light with malkoffs Xpg drop in. I don't get many chances to test it out, but Every time I go to the mountains, I bring it along with the hope that I get a chance to play with it.

Wendee

Enlightened
It sounds like you had a lot of fun! It would be interesting to see the picture, if you have time to post it :)

ch4ins4w

Newly Enlightened
Here is my attempt to post a pic. Thanks for the help. This is a cell phone picture my wife took from our yard. We are standing on a small mountain 1.75 miles away. My son and I each have a flashlight turned on.
IMG_6529%201_zpsmfg9nw5t.jpg

Last edited:

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you got the pic up! Do you know which two lights those are? I definitely think if you were lost you would quickly be rescued. Now you need to get one of the big modded throwers that will put light onto a target at that distance and see if you can actually light up your house from there. This light here would probably do it if it was pitch black outside. http://skylumen.com/collections/v54-lights/products/tm36vn-need-spec

Last edited:

ch4ins4w

Newly Enlightened
The two lights we are using in the picture are my modded Eagletac T25C2 running in Turbo (XPL Hi & Drjones Lucidrv2 from MT Electronics) and my son is using his Solarforce M3 head (XML2 single mode) with two CRC123 batteries. If we were signalling for help, it would be easy to spot us for sure. My daughter had the Maglite running in strobe and there was no way we could miss it, even with other houses and lights on in the vicinity of our yard.

That big light would be fun, but I don't know if I want to lug it up a mountain!

parametrek

Enlightened
This is also a great illustration of why so many military task lights are relatively dim. And reassuring to people who wonder if anyone would see a flashlight in SOS mode.

knotgoofy

Newly Enlightened
The light kind of looks like the moon at that angle! It's great that you had a lot of fun, truly happy for you. Can't wait to see pics from your next "adventure"!

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is also a great illustration of why so many military task lights are relatively dim. And reassuring to people who wonder if anyone would see a flashlight in SOS mode.
And also why I like to have sublumen modes on my lights it doesn't take much to stand out to others or disturb them at night.

Wendee

Enlightened

Good points!
I've often wondered if SOS/Beacon would be bright enough to be spotted from a distance. Now I know that it absolutely would. Good to know!

Sal74

Newly Enlightened
This was the most fun I've had with a flashlight since I blinded my little brother in our tent when we were teenagers.

I do this to my kids regularly. It is fun. Sometimes they even laugh with only a modest eye-roll.
I don't point a light at my wife's eyes though. That's not fun. At all. (Or so I'm told)

Thanks for sharing!

DK Demand Lab

Newly Enlightened
Fun story~ and great family + neighbors lol

BTW, is a mod LED bulb is going to conflict a Maglite's beam adjust function?
How do you like the XPL Hi bulb on the Mag 3 D?

ch4ins4w

Newly Enlightened
Sorry. I should have been more specific. The Maglite is actually a cheap knockoff that doesn't have beam adjustment feature. This made it WAY simpler to add the XPL led. It has excellent throw due to the big reflector. It also gets excellent battery life. If I put in a driver that draws more amps, I would probably have to switch the batteries to maintain that draw. Right now it is a decent compromise of good throw, good battery life, and now heat to worry about.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hehe, we did something similar in the 80s, but way before flashaholism. Living and working in NYC, I was in a conference room on the 102nd floor of the WTC facing north looking at our apartment building in the Flatiron district ~3 miles away (our apartment faced south with a view of the WTC). Talking to my wife on the phone, I showed her where I was by flicking the conference room lights on/off. She grabbed an SLR camera flash and fired a few blasts back. Both signals were clear as day, at least when you are looking for them.