Streamlight Stinger Led -Terralux

michiganstud

Enlightened
Hi guys....I have a few questions about my Stinger.

I have the original Stinger Xenon from like 1995 or 1996. Its OLD. A few years ago I purchased the Terralux upgrade for it and it gave the light a totally new life. Recently I got a Stinger LED issued to me, and I used it. I actually like my old stinger better....wider hot spot. I purchased the Stinger Classic LED - but the light is more yellow and not as solid of a hotspot as the Terralux bulb. The Classic is going back and i'm putting my money into my old stinger.

So I decided to see what I get for runtimes....just to see how long it would last compared to my new Stinger. The Terralux reviews that I've seen say that the light should run 2 hours. I only get 1 hour out of it and it goes dim.

So here are my questions.....

1. Was there ever an older version of the Terralux that didn't run as efficient? I don't have the packaging, and its been 3 or more years.

2. Is this a battery issue?

3. Has the Terralux always been 300 lumens?

michiganstud

Enlightened
After seeing another thread here, I do see there was a 220 lumen drop in - and they improved to a 300 lument drop in.

Would there be any performance difference in these? I honestly think I have the 220 drop in.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
The I had both versions (220/300). Wasn't crazy about either so I sold them and stuck a lite pipe on it. More LEDs, but the device put new life into my old battery. I bought a stinger Hl super cheap, and put the ni-mh battery in it (the one with the green wrapper). Now I'm going to give the new li-ion battery a shot, but I don't think it's recommended for the terralux

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately, I can't remember exactly. It was over 10 years ago and I can't remember what I had for breakfast. I do remember that I didn't use it for Long as I wasn't crazy about either beam

Last edited:

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well if you're still using your 10 year old battery it is likely not storing as much fuel these days as it did new.

I also have an old Streamlight Stinger that I upgraded to LED. I have been dragging my feet on getting another battery stick. I might just spring for a nickel metal hydride battery.

michiganstud

Enlightened
I also have an old Streamlight Stinger that I upgraded to LED. I have been dragging my feet on getting another battery stick. I might just spring for a nickel metal hydride battery.

My upgrade has worked great for me. I did buy the newer upgrade that was supposedly 450 lumens (brighter than the 200 lumen drop in I had). There was NO VISUAL DIFFERENCE. Don't waste your time on the newer upgrade.

If you like the Stinger and you want to use your holsters and chargers....just get the Stinger Classic LED. Same body as the xenon stinger but a MUCH BETTER LED light, with Streamlight reliability. The light was only 85.00 on Amazon with no chargers, just the light and I got the NiMH battery. Which I like.