Best for Home Use / Intruder/Security Flashlight?

outofthedarkness

Enlightened
Whats the Best Light for around the Home to keep next to the bed for middle of the Night checks/security or to ward off possible intruders?

The Brighter the better, maximum lumens?

What do you guys recommend?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own one, but Surefire has a 2-stage momentary tail switch where you press halfway for low output, and mash the rest of the way for max, and I understand you can twist tighten to locking in either output.

Conventional wisdom says it is best to have a single mode forward clicky, and even more foolproof under stress, a momentary-only switch in tactical situations. I personally don't agree with single high only modes for home protection because I find I blind myself silly trying to clearing rooms with white walls reflecting back at you. Trying to retain some semblance of night vision is hugely important to me so I prefer to use a low modes to investigate that bump in the dark, yet want instant access to max if encountering a threat.

My favorite EDCs have momentary-max-from-ON features or work-a rounds, but I wouldn't recommend them for dedicated use.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
For use in conjunction with a firearm, especially a long gun, a dedicated mounted weapon light would be the way to go; though a good 1 or 2 cell CR123 tactical lights will work with most handguns (these should have a dead simple momentary tail switches).

For use mostly or solely without a gun, the ML300 D cell maglites are good options IMHO.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not the cheapest option but a Malkoff MD2 with a M61 or M61T is my preference.The Malkoff MD3 with a M61 SHO or M91 would give you more output in a slightly longer light but the M61 is bright enough IMO. I like the neutral models the best but the M61T is only available in cool white currently. There are brighter lights available but the Malkoffs are rock solid and reliable. If you really want more output maybe look into the Malkoff Hound Dog or Wildcat.