Batteries for a P12GT ? No flattops right?

TREX3

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered one and need batteries. Which ones run best in yours?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
BangGood is selling some button top Samsung INR18650-30Q 3000 mAh unprotected cells for $6.99 right now. Since they are left overs from a special buy for Budget Light Forum I don't know how long they are going to have them available. Normally they are flat tops.

When I first got my TM11 it was my first foray into Li-Ion, so I bought the Nitecore cells, since I figured I couldn't go wrong buying the cells from the manufacturer that sold the light. They are good cells but you can find better deals, like the one above, if you look around.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
....I still have 8 of the no longer found anywhere for sale Orbtronic 3600mah NCR18650G cells. Fat darn cells my calipers measure them 19.6mm thick. That being said all 8 charge to full capacity and well...Idk why exactly but hold their charge better than any of my other cells. I rotate these cells and put one in my GT today to see how it does. Kind of a tight fit but charged up to a full 4.20v on the VC4. Will see how long it lasts in the light...

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
NC has it designed to not take flat tops but as long as your flat top cells protrude just a little it should work.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
sanyo GA works because it's a raised "flat" top

as for the p12 you can simply break the plastic thing around the positive terminal to remove the reverse polarity protection that's locking out flat-tops. that's what i did to my p12

TREX3

Newly Enlightened
These have a little raise to them so guess that is why they work.

Need to get some Pics and stuff in some deep darkness

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
as for the p12 you can simply break the plastic thing around the positive terminal to remove the reverse polarity protection that's locking out flat-tops. that's what i did to my p12

Why would you tell the OP to void the warranty on his light by removing the reverse polarity protection feature?

There are a number of batteries that work in Nitecore lights that feature the reverse polarity protection. There are also a number of lights similar to the P12GT that use flat topped batteries.

On Nitecore lights that use multiple cells, they typically are limited by cell length as the use the tube of the light as a grounding feature. Too long and no ground is established, too short and the battery makes intermittent connection when being moved around.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
screw the warranty. i like being able to use flat tops. the guy's not an idiot. let him decide

Based on the question that the OP asked, he isn't well versed on lights and batteries. No one called him an idiot.

I take it that in the advent of light failure, that you'll be providing warranty services? I didn't think so....

OBTW, the vast majority of my lights are all converted or were capable of using flat topped non protected batteries. Lights like the Nitecore EC20, SRT7 or P20's aren't going to be modified due to having to grind the protection bars off the driverboard.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe NC's concern here is to prevent the use of unprotected cells as the lights do not have over discharge or overheat(I think) protection. Yeah that plastic disc could have been done much better. I do NOT advise doing this but with the right tool you can actually just pull the disc off without destroying it leaving you with the ability to put it back on should you feel the need to.