Malkoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

latestarter

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,Its a long time since I have researched lights (other hobbies and family) but recently started looking at lights again.I have been amazed at how far things have come with regard to output and runtimes but noticed gene hasent followed the trend with any upgrades to his MD2.
Wondering if there is a reason for that? maybe theres something he has in the wind?

Cheers Dave

markr6

Flashaholic
A flush, deep carry clip and more LED flavors would make me happy! I do think more output would make the runtimes too low like the "other guys" that just want to market big lumens on the front of the package.

p.s. this thread may get swallowed by the black hole official malkoff thread :)

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Hi guys,Its a long time since I have researched lights (other hobbies and family) but recently started looking at lights again.I have been amazed at how far things have come with regard to output and runtimes but noticed gene hasent followed the trend with any upgrades to his MD2.
Wondering if there is a reason for that? maybe theres something he has in the wind?

Cheers Dave

I think the switch was upgraded to tail standing. It takes m60/m61s which are available in a host of LEDS. Not sure what could be done to upgrade as it's simplicity is the primary selling point IMHO.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I think the switch was upgraded to tail standing. It takes m60/m61s which are available in a host of LEDS. Not sure what could be done to upgrade as it's simplicity is the primary selling point IMHO.

Combine that with mega-reliability...kinda hard to upgrade perfection.

Output wise? Well maybe Gene aint into tweaking things just yet as things emitter-wise are still shaking out. And whatever he builds will have to meet his rigid standards. And then there's the reflector.
Throwing a bunch more light out of his McG mirrors is easier said than done.

Being a small group of folks at Malkoff, my guess is he spends most of the time in the factory, not leaving much time for laboratory trial & error.

markr6

Flashaholic
My MD2 is the only light I'll sometimes just sit in the dark with and shine around for no reason. Yes, pretty sad, but I know I'm not the only one :)

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope Gene doesn't switch to jumbo sized emitters putting out 1500+ lumens in the MD2....eliminating the perfect beam profile, requiring an output step-down to preserve the electronics, & greatly reducing the run time.

markr6

Flashaholic
I hope Gene doesn't switch to jumbo sized emitters putting out 1500+ lumens in the MD2....eliminating the perfect beam profile, requiring an output step-down to preserve the electronics, & greatly reducing the run time.

Will never happen! If anything, maybe squeezing out a modest amount of more lumens, but none of those 40-minute-runtime hand warmers!

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
What my Fellow Junkies said.
Utter reliabily due to simplicity for me are key reasons to buy a Malkoff.
If you browse the Malkoff Junkies Thread, you'll see that many users are going for lower lumens in the the search for better runtimes. Let's face it there no-one else offering such a range of outputs and tint as stock items.
Gene ploughs his own furrow, and I amongst many other admire him for it.
P

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like a XPG3 driven to 350 lumens. Essentially the same output as M61 but longer runtime.

I'd like a different resistor on the Hi-Lo ring as well, with low around 30 lumens to serve as a brighter long running task light.

Both of those in a MD2 would kick ***.
But that's just me.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I think that interchangeable Hi/Lo rings with different resistor values would be an excellent idea ... and I certainly would be interested in having a variety of these available

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've ordered a M91T head with the high/low ring fitted for use with an MD3 body.

600 Lumen on high, 25 on low, illuminates objects out to 900+ feet.

Input voltage 5.5 - 12v, I'll be running mine on 2 x KeepPower 18500 1700mah batteries.

It could also run on

2 x CR123A's (MD2)
2 x RCR123's (MD2)
3 x CR123A's (MD3)
4 x CR123A's (MD4)
2 x 18650's (MD4)

:twothumbs

Woods Walker

I'd like a XPG3 driven to 350 lumens. Essentially the same output as M61 but longer runtime.

I'd like a different resistor on the Hi-Lo ring as well, with low around 30 lumens to serve as a brighter long running task light.

Both of those in a MD2 would kick ***.
But that's just me.

What's the MD2 hi/Lo ring output with 2xCR123? Seems much higher than with 1 lithium ion. I wonder what it is with 2 lithium ion? Maybe higher still.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The MDC's are perfect just as they are.

latestarter

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input guys.I wasn't being critical,just wondering.My 2009 model MD2 hasent missed a beat and is used daily.

Cheers Dave

Woods Walker

Thanks for the input guys.I wasn't being critical,just wondering.My 2009 model MD2 hasent missed a beat and is used daily.

Cheers Dave

Naw. It's not like that. I also wonder what a XP-L might be like inside an MD2/M61. I crave a multi mode M61 that doesn't use PWM. I crave a sealed M61 like the old M60. I crave no PWM and polarity protection on the 1XAA. So there is always what ifs floating around.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've ordered a M91T head with the high/low ring fitted for use with an MD3 body.

600 Lumen on high, 25 on low, illuminates objects out to 900+ feet.

Input voltage 5.5 - 12v, I'll be running mine on 2 x KeepPower 18500 1700mah batteries.

It could also run on

2 x CR123A's (MD2)
2 x RCR123's (MD2)
3 x CR123A's (MD3)
4 x CR123A's (MD4)
2 x 18650's (MD4)

:twothumbs

Wow that is one awesome head. I like the idea of using two 18650. Excellent all around light.

Woods Walker

20 lumens, I guess? Somebody please chime in.

I tried to guess tonight but not sure. Looked like 10 with 2XCR123 and maybe 5 or less with 1 X lithium ion. I guess the M61N could handle 2 x lithium ion. Looks like it does as 4.2 X 2 = 8.4. Never heard of lithium ion above 4.5 even fresh off the charger. More so with protected cells. Still 8.4 volts is more than 6 so maybe 20 lumens with 2 X lithium ions? I should test that. Still I hear your cry for 30 lumens.

The input voltage is 3.4 - 9 volts. Below 3.4 volts it will drop out of regulation and run direct drive. This dropin is protected against reverse polarity.

Status
Not open for further replies.