Niwalker MM15 MTG2 - possible mod to XHP70?

Bruno28

Enlightened
Hey guys,

I have the original MM15 and was wondering if a simple swap in diode from the MGT2 to the XPH70 would give off the 6800lm from the original 5233lm.

Does anyone know if the driver change or was it just a diode change?
Since i got the new mm18 II i was going to sell the MM15, but if i can mod it, i would end up kipping it.

Also does anyone know if its the 6v or the 12v diode that it uses? Whats the current?

Last edited:

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am glad that you got the MM15MB.

I decided to keep my original stock MM15 MTG2 when it came time to get the MM15MB with its original factory-installed XHP70 diodes. I did, however, choose to have the MB boosted to 9000 lumens.

It is all ok/fine/great to have lots of thought-provoking technical questions about the lots of lights that are out there to choose from, and to spend the time to search for/receive answers to the questions and to evaluate the information, but...... I receive faster, concrete gratification by sending the money and ordering the lights that stimulate my fascination.

Bruno28

Enlightened
Did you get the mm5mbvn? How did you boost it?

I only got it because I found a good deal. So I'll sell the mm15 to pay for the mm15mb.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I got the MM15MBVn. I ordered the MM15MB from Vinh54. Vinh54 modded it, he boosted it.

Some of the newer lights in my signature make some of the older ones obsolete; I could sell some of the older ones; that would make a good deal for someone else, but I won't, because keeping them would be a better deal for me. :)

Bruno28

Enlightened
How big of a differnece is the mm5mbvn vs the mm15?
Have you posted any beam shot? I would be curious.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not taken nor posted any beamshots.

The original stock MM15 has a nice, bright, floody, creamy white beam.

The MM15MBvn has a very bright, crisp, coolish-neutralish floody beam.

When the MM15 is compared to lesser lights, it looks very powerful.

When the MM15 is compared to the MM15MBvn, the MM15 looks not as bright as the MB.

It is all relative.

The TN36UTvn at 13,400 lumens with its three XHP70 diodes makes the lesser lights look less bright.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the proper tool.

I recall that Vinh54 made his own tool to apply torque to the front bezel of this light. Maybe you can email Vinh and ask him for additional info and tips.

Bruno28

Enlightened
With the proper tool.

I recall that Vinh54 made his own tool to apply torque to the front bezel of this light. Maybe you can email Vinh and ask him for additional info and tips.

I remember seeing this a long time ago. Don't know where. Was it on a post or a video from him?

Also do you know if I need to open the bezel o get to the led diodes? Or can I get to them from the inside on the battery side?

Latest posts