Most Lights Purchased in a Short Period of Time

ZippoThisKnifeThat

Newly Enlightened
Many of us have had a time where we've come on to the internet with a set budget of spending and let loose.

Well I have and in more than one hobby.,.Guns, knives, watches, wallets, pens etc.
There have been times I've "sampled" the playing field.
Some catch and release while others have become staples in my edc rotation.

I've edc'd a Zebra SC52 L2 Cool White for the past year and a half.

Love it! But have finally worked up the urge to try some different sizes/materials/whites.

My interest has been sparked in AA, AAA, cr123, 18650 battery operated lights.
As well as materials: stainless steel, copper, carbon fiber.
And different levels of quality.

Over the past couple weeks I've accumulated the following:

Coast HP1 (AA) x2
4 Sevens Preon 1 Copper (AAA)
Maratac Rev 2 Stainless Steel (cr123)
Lumintop Prince Copper (18650)
HDS Rotary (cr123)

I've done hours of research, watched several videos, drooled over tons of photos, and picked each light for specific applications and reasons.
Hope I love each and keep them all!

Surely you guys have some stories similar.
Like minded addicts would love to hear about them here!

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the forum. That is a great way to chronicle your start into the abyss of lights. Actually you seem very restrained and methodical. So you will probably be ok. Mine was less planned and went slowly over years. I would suggest adding one custom in the mix too. Maybe try a classic like the McGizmo Haiku. It is a lovely Ti work of art.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the forum. That is a great way to chronicle your start into the abyss of lights. Actually you seem very restrained and methodical. So you will probably be ok. Mine was less planned and went slowly over years. I would suggest adding one custom in the mix too. Maybe try a classic like the McGizmo Haiku. It is a lovely Ti work of art.

Whhooooo, be careful in the custom area, it's a VERY slippery slope..., I've got 2 Gizmo Haiku's (one DLC coated, upgraded LED and one SOYCD stonewashed & triple LED), when a custom isn't custom enough you really have a problem.

Welcome!

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks to members like me fixer I feel perfectly normal :poke: He leaves me well and truly in the dark!

You will love the HDS , amazing little light and agree a slippery slope with customs. Luckily(well no not really) most are above my pay grade. So many are put to bed from the off!

The gizmo and HDS do make a great couple though for edc rotation duty.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Swiss Post stops most of my boxes, opens them (for a fee), looks for an invoice and then charges me tax. I get a slip and pick up the lights and pay the fee and taxes at the post office near my office. I was deep in a binge one time and the light was kept at the central post office - not the local one. When I went to pick up the light they interviewed me - they wanted to know if I was a flashlight distributor and had an undeclared business.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Mailman has left one of these bins on my porch more than once."
I wasn't ready for that! :crackup:
And here I thought I was the only one that has had this happen. I have two of those things at the house still. He won't pick them up! lol

ZippoThisKnifeThat

Newly Enlightened
Shameless! I'm loving it gentleman. I've learned my ways through having my learning curve with knives.

I can't say I've ever received a bin...and that last photo, bykfixer, a warning pic. Oh. My. Gawd. LOL

I know I've definitely attracted the right crowd when I'm being further enabled into the custom realm. ;)

Thank you for participating! Enjoying the reads. 😁

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thanks to members like me fixer I feel perfectly normal :poke: He leaves me well and truly in the dark!

You will love the HDS , amazing little light and agree a slippery slope with customs. Luckily(well no not really) most are above my pay grade. So many are put to bed from the off!

The gizmo and HDS do make a great couple though for edc rotation duty.

Quality. You may put out what per light I put out per delivery.

I have one still out there from the "Maniac May buying binge" coming from your side of the pond.
The global tracking thing kept telling me it was in my city this whole week. Well it was. But who was the "last mile shipper?"...

When I checked my junk email sure enough the "last mile shipper" had transfered that sucker to 4 others who eventually dropped it off at the post office to deliver it to me. lol.
I kid you not!

Anyway that was probably the most of anything I'd bought in a short time. (But once I did a similar binge on car parts)
Some 82 vintage flashlights, a PK PR-1, about 200 light bulbs (in 10 pack boxes) and a trip to my local Home Depot (who locally has the best prices on Rayovacs) for about 200 batteries.

Back to 1 per month now. Junes was a modified Mag2C from member kabible, along with some ROP bulbs. That sucker is awesome.

I'll be busy the rest of the summer sprucing up all those old lights.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
I have enjoyed following you vintage lights, fantastic stuff!!! Adds a different side which is all fresh to me and interesting......................in fact very interesting, especially with your excellent info about the past!:)

Theodore41

Enlightened
Hi all.
I am new in the sport,but I let loose,as ZippoThisKnifeThat says.
So,I bought 8 lights in a 4 month period.
1.BLF A6
2.Olight M1X.
3.Nitecore P12GT.
4.Astrolux S41.
5.Nitecore MH27.
6.CPFItalia Cometa.
7.Olight SR52-UT.
8.Acebeam K70.
Now,I am waiting one more light,a X6 with three Hi leds,so I think I have finished for now.
I think so.:laughing:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
When my favorite lights go on good sales, I'll buy them in batches of 4. I gift a lot of lights.

tops2

Enlightened
I'm pretty tame compared to most here.

By biggest binge (in terms of dollar amount) in a short amount of time:
The past week, I bought the Armytek Wizard Pro v3 XHP35. The tint and CRI wasn't satisfying so last night I ended up ordering the Zebralight H600Fd MKIII. After getting my first Zebralight (SC5w OP) last December, I don't know why I bother with other lights. I know I just want to play and try others..but I always come back to my SC5w cause of the UI, tint and CRI. But both these lights cost close enough to $200 total!

Fortunately since I started this hobby since last November, I've "only" acquired 4 larger lights (2 single AA lights, and soon 4 single 18650 lights after the H600Fd arrives) and a handful of keychain lights.

I know its a drop in the bucket compared to customs..but that's a slope I (and my wallet and spouse) don't have interest in starting down. :crackup:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of my light purchases have been pretty spaced out, but I did buy six BLF 348 Nichia 219B lights from GearBest when the last group buy was on. I figure most of them will be gifts, so I got them in the gift boxes. I did find a good deal on Icon Rouge 1s a couple of years ago and bought like four or five at once then too. They are all gone but one now.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ever since PayPal started the "Pay after delivery" program, I find I am going WAY over budget...(I think...it's only $500 or $600, I can put that together in two weeks)...did I mention that A. I am not working, B. Just had surgery on my back and C. Am in the midst of moving?
In the last four weeks: Firefly custom, Sigma18650 custom, Copper Preon 1, Four Sevens/PKDL Knight, Four Sevens bead blasted Mini ML, Astrolux E41, Jetbeam MK-1, Jetbeam Pi, and finally
PK DL PR-1 Pocket Rocket...
Plus another large group of cells and three new chargers (one to replace a VC4 I fried due to stupidity). And just when I though I could go a couple weeks without buying a new light, Four Sevens announces their 4th of July special...For every order over $100, get a free new version of the Preon ***1(I have all the old Preons, do I really want to buy all the colors in the new line)? I did not have a choice on the copper Preon 1-that was a must have...but I love my Knight and really need the two Paladins-Titanium and PVD...and I really need an HDS-since I have not bought one yet...If I stand in the road with a sign saying "need money for a flashlight"will you contribute?

***Clarification: my mistake, it is a classic
Preon, not the new one-still a great deal!

Last edited: