Add-on reverse light?

ak645

Newly Enlightened
For '95 s10 pickup.Got a steel bumper with hole for a hitch and factory trailering harness so install should be super easy if I can find the right pedestal mount light.Preferably under $150.All suggestions appreciated!

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Forget that silly, overpriced not-a-reverse-lamp from Rigid. Remember, there are design, construction, and performance standards for each and every vehicle safety light function; we don't get to just say "Well, it's white and it comes on when I shift into Reverse and it faces the rear so PRESTO, it's a reverse lamp!".

Get a pair of these lamps (read more about them here) and these grommets. Mount them as wide apart as you can, either by cutting holes in the bumper bar or by using appropriate brackets. This will give you plenty of widely-spread, appropriately focused light, and they take such low current that you can tap them right into the vehicle's existing wiring without needing a relay.

Last edited by a moderator:

Qship1996

Enlightened
Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
That's not really a big brother, Qship -- it's an older brother. Performance is fine, but the newer model I linked gives greater output.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
It's type-approved to ECE regs, not certified to American SAE standards. That's a non-issue from the performance standpoint; the US and ECE rear fog lamp and reversing lamp standards are more or less identical. But some (not many) states require SAE markings on all exterior lights, and a subset of those states (even fewer) actually look while they're inspecting vehicles. Aside from the expense and difficulty getting ahold of this half-and-half light in America, you'd wind up with less output (less light) than if you go ahead with your original plan of a one-plus-one setup.

ak645

Newly Enlightened
Some great input here.Neither of these solutions work for me.Shame there's no street legal light in the Rigid type housing but there ya go.So I'll just pass for now.Thought about upgrading the stock bulbs but not much in the way of high performance 3057's.Thanks anyway.

eggsalad

Enlightened
But some (not many) states require SAE markings on all exterior lights, and a subset of those states (even fewer) actually look while they're inspecting vehicles.

My take on that is that lights like these are often used by custom body builders on municipal vehicles such as school buses and ambulances, etc. And somebody way back added the phrase "all lighting must meet or exceed SAE standards" to the RFP or RFQ and so the types of manufacturers who build custom bodies demand SAE markings on the lighting fixtures to make sure the lighting meets the municipalities' requests.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
so the types of manufacturers who build custom bodies demand SAE markings on the lighting fixtures to make sure the lighting meets the municipalities' requests.

Vehicle manufacturers and professional installers (like "custom builders") are regulated parties under Federal law, therefore they need to make sure the lighting meets Federal law.

Last edited:

eggsalad

Enlightened
Vehicle manufacturers and professional installers (like "custom builders") are regulated parties under Federal law, therefore they need to make sure the lighting meets Federal law.

Fair enough, and perhaps even better. I won't hazard an actual figure, but I suspect a huge percentage of such "standard form factor" lighting fixtures are sold to such entities, so it simply behooves their manufacturers to put the approval markings right on the lens.

Latest posts