Light recommendation

ProCharger

Enlightened
This one may be a tough one to find, especially in a modded light since most get a current boost and 99.99% of consumers are wanting brighter, not vice versa but here goes. I am looking for a small, 18350 or smaller light. The kicker is it needs to have a very very low lumen setting. I currently use a surefire E2L for this application which advertises 3 lumens on low but tests regularly show this light having roughly 15 lumens. That is too bright, I end up covering most of the front for the most part blocking the unwanted light. Biggest problem is I am still wanting something with decent top end when wanted otherwise this would be a lot easier find.

I was looking at skylumen.com and the r16vn looks like a possible match but I have 2 concerns. Is the low setting a true 5 lumens, on a modded current boost light I assume the 5 lumens will also be boosted? 2nd is the order of the modes, it looks as if it starts in turbo and progresses to low, I would much rather it be the other way around.

This doesn't need to be a thrower, I will be using this light specifically for going in and out of the woods in the dark using as little light as possible but still being able to see.....see why it's a tough search now? :eek:

Thanks,
Pro

Edit: looking at the olight S1vn now as well. 8 lumen low, moonlight .5 lumen. Uses the stock UI as well. Any opinions on these 2 lights?

Last edited:

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know man. I don't have many small light.. I bought sd mini vn power boost, and it is bright.. You can go with spec 2 or spec 3. Both have driver vn2, and use unprotected cells.. Gl.

ProCharger

Enlightened
Yep, the problem is flashlights are all about the brightness and I am looking for the exact opposite. The s1vn is starting to win me over.......especially with 8 lumen low and .5 lumen moonlight. Looks super slick in rose gold as well.

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey ProCharger I have the r16vn. It is a great light with a perfect low Lumen output. The USB charger is smart to have if your using it at work. I love mine and go to it quite a bit. The size is perfect if you need to hold it steady.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Email Vinh directly and see what he recommends. I you don't like it he will gladly accept returns. I carry a regular s1 into the woods with me quite often. It does a great job. If you are worried about spooking game you can always cut some green cellophane and place it over the end of whatever light you want with a rubber band. I've used that trick for years. :) good luck in your search

NICSAK

Enlightened
I have a stock s1 and I love it. I wish I knew about Vinh before I got it cause I would have got black with neutral led.

koti

Enlightened
ProCharger. Look at Jetbeam RRT01, it looks like exactly what you need. This light has a magnetic ring used to control the brightness, it can go down to very dim setting, I think it is something like 0,005 lumen. I have this lifht and Ive been using it for years, its one of my favourates.

Last edited:

BootsAndCats

Newly Enlightened
I think koti had a good suggestion with the RRT01. The Nitecore EC11 would be very good as well, since it also has a small red light built in, designed for navigating dark areas without disturbing animals or ruining night vision. That would be my pick. You get around 900lm on the high end. It's a great little light. Vinh does a double magnet mod on the tail which I love also.

biker1

Enlightened
Formerly from NYC - Still Ruled by Commi Criminal
I have a Nitecore EC11 which I placed a magnet in the tail cap. Excellent light. I also have a Sunwayman V11R, which has a fully variable magnetic control ring. This light can get as dim as you like and anywhere in between, up to 500l max. Selfbuilt did a great review on this light.

Last edited:

parametrek

Enlightened
Why not a Zebralight or Armytek that runs on 1x16340? Both of those companies are champs at the sub-lumen modes, with a almost a dozen models in the size you want.

The Olight S10 Baton series is the least expensive 1x16340 light that I know of that can do sub-lumen ($40).

Red might be a little overrated, extremely low white light seems to be just as effective.

Last edited:

eekazum

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the zebralight sc600 mk3 hi. The lowest it can do is advertised at 0.01 lumen and while I can't test the authenticity of this claim, I can assure you it is definitely dim enough to preserve your night vision while still giving off enough light to identify things about 2 yards away (in a dark room with very little moonlight seeping through closed curtains). Beyond that, you can see objects but can't make out color.

I know this is an 18650 light which might be too big for you. Just pointing out my observations as a reference.

Underdriven

Newly Enlightened
+1 for Zebralight. I have a SC62 that I regularly use on low, low . I love the fact you can choose how low the low is very quickly and it remembers . Very compact.
The lowest low is only usable in a totally blacked out environment.

alex21

Newly Enlightened
Didn't the RRT01 get discontinued a while back.. due to production costs?

Infact, the remaining infinitely variable (or thereabouts) lights like the eye10 and v11r have inflated considerably in price.. and these lights are what.. 4-5 years old? :eek:

Last edited:

A.marquardt

Enlightened
Buy the Zebralight SC5 along with the Eneloop charger that comes with Black AA's. Brightest single AA in world, with best moonlight modes too. You might be tempted to get the SC52 and run it on a 10440, and that's a good choice too- it looks nicer and can hit 500 lumen for a minute or so.

Last edited: