1AA flashlight (Fenix LD09, LD11...)

pantagana23

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone,

Been looking for a 1xAA flashlight for a while now. The reason I'm looking for a 1xAA is that AA is the most widespread battery in the world, and you can always find at least one.

As I started looking, the choice is just overwhelming: from Markoff and Surefire, over Fenix and Nitecore to "3 for 1 dollar".

I didn't even know what budget to put here, so I estimated it to 50 USD (current balance on PayPal :D)

Basically, what I wanted from a light is 4-6 hours on approx. 50 lumens. Two modes are just fine, nothing else needed. If it's there, ok, but would live without it.

My intended use would be lighting the hallway when exiting the company at late hours, or checking cables in automation boxes.

How did I come to LD09 and 11: My colleague from work has a LD20 for some time now; abuses it and it's still working fine.

They're both under 50, both clicky (preferred for me) and besides the obvious difference in lumens, the oher things are SOS on one, strobe on the other, and size of course (diameter is what I'm talking of here), they are basically the same.

I would be carrying it in my EDC bag.

My question here is: should I go by the "bigger is always better" here?

I'm leaning towards the LD09 due to diameter, but not sure if the 11 is better.

I would mostly be using Alkalines, but am leaving myself space to kick in a 14500.

Are there any other brands that would be similar to this? I really do not need lumens, but hours.

If anyone has really spent their time to read all this, thank you for your time, and am hoping for your advice :grin2:

parametrek

Enlightened
Please please please use Eneloops in your light and not alkalines! They will save you a bundle of money on batteries, and another bundle of money when you don't have to replace your light because an Eneloop won't leak.

If you want a simple light without strobe/sos, the Fenix E12 is good. ($25)

If you want a light with a lot of fancy features, check out the Nitecore EA1. ($30)

Either of those are less expensive than the LD09 or LD11. Put the savings towards Eneloops :)

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the forum.
I have no issues with Alks? Just keep track of them and use quality new cells only. I also use a lot of Eneloops.
Anyways, I would look into the Nitecore EA1 recommendation. I really like them. Also take a look at the EagleTac D25A, if you can catch it on sale, the D25A Ti. They can be found for under $50. Typically last years model. They have 2 mode groups, if you will. One is a simple High & Low. Twist the head for a different mode group with all the blinking and junk. Both of these lights can up jump the boogie with some 14500s. I run Efest in all of mine. I own several of both of these lights. They are both fun lights.
I suggest you also check out some of our vendors here too and see what they have that may catch your eye. Try to search 14500 lights. That may narrow it down for you.
http://www.cpfclassifieds.com

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd choose LD11 over the LD09. I gave my LD09 away to my daughter. For one thing the LD11 has an XP-G2 LED vs the XP-E2 on the LD09. You might also consider the Nitecore MT10A if you like forward clicky lights with momentary "on" capability. And it has the XM-L2 LED. My only complaint on the MT10A is that its kind of big for a single AA light, but it does handle a 14500. I love the UP/DN mode select button. I think the LD09 is on its way out and you can pick one up for 40% discount from the "insider specials" if you have an email sign on account with one of the popular Fenix dealers. You can pick the MT10A up on sale occasionally for $42 or thereabouts. The LD11 is kind of expensive for what it is.....but I kind of like it. Not sure I'd actually buy one unless it was a good discount......or you plan to run a 14500. My LD11 is currently a glove box light with an Energizer L91 lithium battery. (I'd never let a light sit unattended with an alkaline battery in for very long)

I like the EagleTac D25A mini (twisty) because it is pretty small for single AA. I never liked the D25A clickys because the mode features of head tight or head loose kind of bugged me when I was actually only going to use the light in the head loose mode. I wish it was the other way around so I could keep the head tight at all times...........also I never did care for all the different modes. But if you'd like to try one, I know where the neutral tint version is on sale for $30.

I'd get the Fenix E12 because they are inexpensive and you get 3 modes which is about right for single AA, but you lose the pocket clip that you'd get on the LD09 & LD11. Then if wanting more output, you can get a smallish single 18650 light which aren't that much bigger.

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:

pantagana23

Newly Enlightened
OK, from what I got so far is that the LD11 should be more efficient in battery consumption, thus resulting in better battery life?

Though on official factory tables, they're giving just over 8 hours on 50 to LD09 (2015 touch-up, on Ni-MH) and a bit less to LD11. Basically, the same.

Although D25A titanium under 50$ seems great, haven't seen where so far :D

For the standard D25A clicky, after seeing Amazon reviews (best way to see all the cr.. that can happen), I let it go, due to a number of issues reported.

Not sure about Nitecores on reliability? On the forum I haven't seen them reported so much?

Not that the Fenix gets all that great there.

ktsl

Newly Enlightened
Neither. If we don't consider 14500 battery, Fenix 1xAA lights only produce max 150lm.
Check Manker t01, e11. (max 500lm and 400lm, respectively)
Or klarus Mi7 (max 300lm).
Enjoy!

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
LD09 is a nice single AA light. And simple. It starts at mid mode of 50lm which is a good allround level. At that level you get more than 2hours stable output with an alkaline, and longer with NiMh and Lithium. LD09 is a good choice as an EDC light. Also good choice as a gift to non-flashaholic friends.

pantagana23

Newly Enlightened
Ok, not to prolong this to much, here's my dilemma (I'll be using 2000-2500 eneloops in the flashlight, whatever I fun locally):

LD09(2015 upgrade):
+ smaller
+ first click on medium
+ SOS as special
+ cheaper
- smaller area for dissipation of heat
- LED on 75-80% of max when on turbo (220) - Cree website specs
- more gentle build

LD11:
+ more robust build
+ bigger area for heat dissipation (as both would be working on max 130 lumens)
+ LED on 50-55% of max when on turbo (300 lumens) - Cree website specs
- bigger
- first click on turbo
- strobe on special (really will never need that)
- more expensive (almost on par with LD22. If the length of the 22 wouldn't be an issue for me, I would rather get that for the money)

I'm leaned toward the LD09 on most important things, however, I'm affraid that I'll be sorry on the more robust build of the LD11 if I take the 9.
I'm looking for a wise answer :)

brtactical

Newly Enlightened
I have one archer a1on my way, very excited tô check it out. I have a T10T and love it.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neither. If we don't consider 14500 battery, Fenix 1xAA lights only produce max 150lm.
Check Manker t01, e11. (max 500lm and 400lm, respectively)
Or klarus Mi7 (max 300lm).
Enjoy!

+1 on the Maker t01, it is very small for the amount of light it puts out especially on a 14500, has to be seen to be astounded.

pantagana23

Newly Enlightened
Both the manker and thrunite have forward switches, which I personally dislike, due to the fact that you have movable parts directly at the heat source.

Been thinking the past fee days, I'm getting the 11. On 130 lumens, it's better to get the flashlight that has more reserve, no matter the UI and special.

Thanks for the input guys, will be shortly in the batteries section to get the right choice.

pantagana23

Newly Enlightened
A little update to this thread:
I ordered the LD11, and got it DOA. But this turned out to be a good thing, as I saw this light was really small, even though I made model of it prior to order, and also ordered a bigger one between the 09 and 11. Returned the 11, and ordered an LD22 (2015 update). Hope this one gives better results than DOA [emoji1]

Latest posts