Challenging Headlamp recommendation

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
It's time for me to standardize all my hiking lights on 18650, and I need a decent headlamp. I'm looking for something neutral or warm (bonus points for high CRI), wide angle (100 degrees or so), floody with no defined hotspot, an angle light, ip68, impact resistant preferably, and my budget is hard capped at $100. The less, the more money I have for more batteries. :)

Let me know your opinions and recommendations! I know it's a tall order. :p

PB Wilson

Newly Enlightened
Or a Zebralight H600Fd High CRI would be a good choice although the beam spread is only 90 degrees.

I've had one for a month or so and love it. Really a great light. Perfect for hiking with some excellent run times.

Stevie

Newly Enlightened
Do you really want pure flood for hiking? Personally I find that it is not so good for definition.

I do a lot of night walking (I lead groups out in the hills) and many times I descend the hill in the dark if I am out on my own. Like you, I spent time looking at and researching different models. I can highly recommend the Fenix HL55. It's everything I want in an outdoor headlamp. The beam is neutral white, and floody. Not Zebralight floody mind, but a VERY large hotspot with great blending spill. The runtimes are excellent. 10 lumen is good for in and around camp, lasts 150 hrs. 55 lumen is good for well defined trails and paths, and also in woodland. What I really like though is 165 lumens for 10 hours. This level of light, in neutral white, for this time period, is SUPERB for difficult pathless terrain such as rock, scree, open moorland etc. I do not use the 420 lumen mode as it only lasts 3-4 hrs (which come to think of it is quite a lot!) but I have to guarantee to myself that my battery will last the night. I do though, very occasionally blast the hillside with the 900 lumen burst if route finding becomes tricky.

It is an outstanding headlamp for outdoor pursuits and in 25 years of using these things, I have not found one better. I have used Petzls, Princeton Tec's etc and they just don't come close. But I will tell you what is also clipped to my chest - a Zebralight for close up map work....pure flood works well at close range!

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you really want pure flood for hiking? Personally I find that it is not so good for definition.

I have a Minimus which is floody and when I used it on a few night hikes it's lack of throw was an issue even when cranked up to max.

Last edited:

Stevie

Newly Enlightened
I have a Minimus which is floody and when I used it on a few night hikes it's lack of throw was an issue even when cranked up to max.

Yes, totally agree with that. I tried walking with my Zebralight flood but it just didn't cut it. It's great for map work, pitching a tent, lighting a camp etc and also works rather well in the woods due to the reflection from the trees. But out on open ground it appears much dimmer, as there's nothing for the light to bounce back off and the lumens are spread out thinly over a wide area. I also have an old Fenix HL21, which is geared for throw and has a very intense and small hotspot. Spill is reasonable. The throw is useful and the light gets out to where I want it, but I did find myself descending in the darkness on more than one occasion just wishing that there was a little more light around my feet and to the sides. So I researched and then bought the Fenix HL55. The hotspot is not as intense, but due to the extra power the light still gets out to where I need it (and further). Although after 30-40 yds, the light resembles flood as the hotspot has a large diameter. I remember using it for the first time and being dead impressed, as now I could see further. But without really moving my head I also had tons of light illuminating the ground by my feet (quite important if walking at night!) and my peripheral vision was also much improved. That neutral white is just great outdoors too.

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
The HL55 does look pretty good! I think 'no defined hotspot' might have been a bit of a misnomer. 'No strong, narrow, well defined hotspot' might have been a better choice of words.
The flood thing is a bit of a personal preference. Most hiking near me or that I ever plan to do is in the woods where throw winds up glaring back from trees 20' away. I use my peripheral vision quite a bit and hate the tunnel vision a well defined hotspot incurs. I also carry a light in hand or in easy access, so if I need throw I use that. Does that make a bit more sense?
That said, has anyone had experience with the Armytek Wizard Pro lights? I'm looking at the warm XHP50 one in particular.
The Zebralight H603d looks nice but the UI isn't really what I want in a headlamp. Nice beam angle though and high CRI, so definitely an option.

dss_777

Enlightened
Absolutely true about the more floody ZL lights- had one and returned it for poor real-world performance.

However, the "H600w Mk II 18650 XM-L2 Headlamp Neutral White" has a more better throwy beam, and works well in this role, IMO. Love mine!

And, on sale at $69 right now, (though is backordered)...