Looking at 2AA lights. Thrunite Archer and Nitecore EA21 qre 2

TREX3

Newly Enlightened
I am looking at. Any others I should consider?

I know all AA lights will run the Eneloops will only certain lights run 14500's?

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another that you should consider is the Eagletac D25A2. Good build quality. Lots of emitter choices (including Nichia 219B, if you like high CRI). And very good brightness for a 2AA light. A good choice for many is the neutral XM-L2 T6. Light output is quite high, and tint is actually VERY good for an XM-L2.

As for running the light on a 14500, some will allow you to run a 2AA on a single 14500, but not all. With some lights, you can even get a shorter battery tube for a 14500. I don't think there is ANY 2AA light that will run on 2x14500, though.

Last edited:

TREX3

Newly Enlightened
Ok what are the advantages to a singe A and are 14500's the ticket for them?

Last edited:

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok what are the advantages to a singe A and are 14500's the ticket for them?

The primary advantage of 1xAA over 2xAA is the smaller size. 1xAA lights are obviously MUCH shorter. Also, 1xAA lights can be brighter than 2xAA lights. Consider that the Zebralight SC5 can put out 500 lumens, which is quite a bit brighted than the brightest 2xAA. This has nothing to do with any technical disadvantages with 2xAA, but rather that nobody wants to build a bright 2xAA (2xAA typically tops out at around 350-400 lumens). On the other hand, as you would expect, 1xAA lights are at a severe disadvantage compared to 2xAA lights when it comes to runtime, particularly when running the higher modes. And because the voltage of 2xAA in series is higher, 2xAA lights don't work your batteries as hard. This is advantageous is you plan to run your light on alkaline batteries.

Running a 14500 has a few advantages over running a AA (provided the light can run a 14500). Usually, a 1xAA light will be brighter on a 14500. And brightness will typically be better regulated with a 14500 than with a AA. Runtime can also be longer with a 14500 since driver losses are far lower (provided the energy storage is the same on both cells). Finally, 14500s are easier to charge when away from home. This is particularly true when charging in the backcountry with portable USB solar panels.

Last edited:

Warp

Enlightened
The primary advantage of 1xAA over 2xAA is the smaller size. 1xAA lights are obviously MUCH shorter. Also, 1xAA lights can be brighter than 2xAA lights. Consider that the Zebralight SC5 can put out 500 lumens, which is quite a bit brighted than the brightest 2xAA. This has nothing to do with any technical disadvantages with 2xAA, but rather that nobody wants to build a bright 2xAA (2xAA typically tops out at around 350-400 lumens). On the other hand, as you would expect, 1xAA lights are at a severe disadvantage compared to 2xAA lights when it comes to runtime, particularly when running the higher modes. And because the voltage of 2xAA in series is higher, 2xAA lights don't work your batteries as hard. This is advantageous is you plan to run your light on alkaline batteries.

Running a 14500 has a few advantages over running a AA (provided the light can run a 14500). Usually, a 1xAA light will be brighter on a 14500. And brightness will typically be better regulated with a 14500 than with a AA. Runtime can also be longer with a 14500 since driver losses are far lower (provided the energy storage is the same on both cells). Finally, 14500s are easier to charge when away from home. This is particularly true when charging in the backcountry with portable USB solar panels.

We now have 500 lumens from the 2xAA Thrunite Archer V3. ;)

Sun Light

Newly Enlightened
I am looking at. Any others I should consider?

I know all AA lights will run the Eneloops will only certain lights run 14500's?

Have you considered the new Olight S2A. Good output from a 2AA light. Mine are on the way!