12VDC T5 Fluorescent vs LED Vs 120V

TechnoWeenie

Newly Enlightened
This is going into a mobile platform but the lights installed are currently fixed lighting/120VAC which his why I chose this forum, I think it more aptly applies instead of the mobile forum.

I picked up a military vehicle that's outfitted with 120VAC ballasted F8T5 (12" 8W Fluorescent modules)

M934reardoorclosed_zps98c8ff6d.jpg

These are grouped in layouts of 4 per assembly... with 4 assemblies per side, for a total of 32 bulbs...

Each assembly has its own 120V switch.

When it was in service, it was designed to be run off a MEP trailer genset... supplying 120/240 to the vehicle for lighting, equipment, communications, etc.

This would be great for situations with a nearly infinite supply chain. Running a diesel genset 24/7 for lights/whatnot is impractical, to say the least.

This vehicle will eventually have a small battery bank, with solar power and backup charging from alternator.

The host vehicle electrical system is 24V, so if there is a 24V option available, it's an 'option' but from what I've seen, 24V lighting is more expensive and offers no benefits over 12V lighting...

Currently, I have these options. (and if I'm forgetting some, please add them)

1. Leave as is, run through inverter. Lots of loss, going from 12V to 120V through the ballast.. Probably looking at 30%+ losses, not efficient at all.
2. Remove ballast, switch to LED T5s, run through inverter. More efficient than option 1 but still not optimal.
3. Rewire 120V to 12V, and get 12V T5s.
4. scrap the housings all together, and go with something else.

My first concerns in reusing the housings, while I like the look, running 4 bulbs simultaneously will draw a lot of power... even if LED... I will rarely need 1000 lumens out of a fixture, let alone 8 of them in a 17x8 space....

My concern with LED strips is fading.....I had a red strip in a vehicle I used a LOT..couple hours a day, and within a couple months they were so faded as to be almost useless...

I need low power consumption. 8 Hours+ use per day, usable in low and high temperatures (~20F-120F), and durable.

What say ye?

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have to think about this one. My main question is, how much light do you need & for how long per day? I guess what is the intended use?

TechnoWeenie

Newly Enlightened
I would have to think about this one. My main question is, how much light do you need & for how long per day? I guess what is the intended use?
I'm in the Pacific NW, so on overcast days, it would probably be close to 10-12 hours, if not more... as far as quantity of light, I'd prefer to have more than I need that I can turn off or dim, than not have enough light....It's essentially being converted to an RV of sorts....So, I'd need broad light coverage, as opposed to spotlighting...I would like to have cool white/daylight, and red.... although not necessarily in the same housing or assembly...