Inexpensive shop light no ballast?

Psampson

Newly Enlightened
I bought a house with 4 shop lights (T12) built into the ceiling of the garage. The tubes started to buzz and not light so I suspected the ballasts were going out. When I opened one of them to get the ballast info, I didn't find a traditional ballast. I found this plastic thing shown in the picture. Anyone know what this is and if it can be replaced? I'd just take them down and replace them with T8 but I'd have to rip up the floor in the attic to do it because of the way they were installed.

2isxfnl.jpg

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks like an older Lights Of America shop light. I've taken one of these fixtures apart but I pretty much destroyed it to get to the ballast. The plastic thing in the middle contains an electronic starting circuit (capacitors and a sidac). The ballasts (actually a choke and a capacitor that looked to be made of tin foil and saran wrap) are located in the end sections between the sockets.

http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=657&pos=9&pid=79249

7tisix

Newly Enlightened
Search for hyperikon light tubes. They are the size of regular 4 foot tubes, but you must remove ballast from circuit and direct
the led tubes. Seems like it would be quite easy. There are also
Hyperikon Ballast Compatible LED Tubes.

Last edited: