Fenix Outfitters        
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 69101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: The 4 & FourSevens Picture and Random Question Thread

A&Q Moderator

Default Re: The 4 & FourSevens Picture and Random Question Thread

I was a day late on that Autumn copper thing. I mean 1 day. LOL Had it in the cart etc etc then got distracted.
    The TK20. Yes it still rocks.

My SS Mini turbo's have landed. They are sweet, easy single handed operation, threads are smooth.

Last edited by Beamhead; 12-07-2017 at 03:15 PM.
    Quando Omni Flunkis Moritati

I got one at retail from another site, if you really want one I can tell you where, great service and fast shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Woods Walker View Post
    I was a day late on that Autumn copper thing. I mean 1 day. LOL Had it in the cart etc etc then got distracted.

A&Q Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Beamhead View Post
    I got one at retail from another site, if you really want one I can tell you where, great service and fast shipping.
    Thanks brother but just purchased a 27 dollar Al combo (I am now keeping the Ti) and another 15 dollar 2XAAA as another gift.

A&Q Moderator

Looking at those SS pics it appears if 4/7 has put a hole in the clip for both lanyard carry and tail standing.

My SS Mini turbo's have landed. They are sweet, easy single handed operation, threads are smooth.
    Sweet! Thanks for following up!

Any chance you could weigh the SS Mini Turbo without battery? Foursevens lists weight as 1.02 oz, same as the aluminum version... I'd expect it to be a bit heavier.

Thanks brother but just purchased a 27 dollar Al combo (I am now keeping the Ti) and another 15 dollar 2XAAA as another gift.
    LOL I was very proud of myself for not purchasing a flashlight for quite a while. Then Foursevens made me by a years worth in a month+.

Looking at those SS pics it appears if 4/7 has put a hole in the clip for both lanyard carry and tail standing.
    Yup and on the Al turbo too.

Quote Originally Posted by ronniepudding View Post
    Sweet! Thanks for following up!

Any chance you could weigh the SS Mini Turbo without battery? Foursevens lists weight as 1.02 oz, same as the aluminum version... I'd expect it to be a bit heavier.
    Al without cell = 1.1 Oz.
    SS without cell = 2.1 Oz.

Thanks Beamhead, pretty much what I expected.

A&Q Moderator

I was working on my BOB stuff and got 4 lights from 4/7 in the mail. The smart is for my nephew. The first knight I ordered showed up. I like the tail cap switch. It's almost like a 6p in terms of monetary UI but kinda like a clicky. The beam is really nice. I mean really nice for this class of light. Seems like a good deal of thought went into the beam profile. The CW tint is crisp and clean on my example. XM-Ls are often not my favorite CW (yes LED shouldn't matter but somehow it does in the real world). However this one is nice. I like many things about the UI. On the down side the clip (for me) is bad. I think art shouldn't extend to pocket clips. They need to be pure function and this one bites (literally). The attack bezel isn't for me. That said when the time comes and the accessories go on fire sale might buy a SS one if it gets dirt cheap. I might get an extra clip if those go on close out and work it over with a dremel. Also the lack of a true low but 4 disco modes on an EDC is beyond design comprehension. If I was a fly on the wall when that decision was made would have screamed to the moon unless issues beyond design played a roll. That said the low (really medium) is nice.

The hidden medium is good and high really bright. All modes seemed clear of PWM or CC feedback (not sure what else to call that). 37 bucks was a steal. The one I ordered the other day for 22 even better. My first tool use was going into the basement to reset a breaker. Tonight will take it on a 5 mile dirt road jog. Maybe tie a lanyard on the awful (IMHO) clip. Also is it my imagination or does the 100 lumens for 4 hours seems good. I have not tested that but will be happy if that pans out. Though 4/7 has always been honest with the stated outputs/runtimes in my experience. I tossed in a 700 mAh protected though bet the runtimes were for a CR123 primary.

Here comes Santa Claus, here comes Santa Claus, here comes Santa Claus now!

L@@K what was waiting for me when I returned home.

Cg

Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

If you don't care for the clip or strike bezel here is an option.....
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=1#post4782901

I usually leave all my knights/paladins on medium, just get in on medium and lock out the cap from there, then use it as a twisty and twist right back into medium.

Mr. Gardenir got my packages..................................

I was working on my BOB stuff and got 4 lights from 4/7 in the mail. The smart is for my nephew. The first knight I ordered showed up. I like the tail cap switch. It's almost like a 6p in terms of monetary UI but kinda like a clicky. The beam is really nice. I mean really nice for this class of light. Seems like a good deal of thought went into the beam profile. The CW tint is crisp and clean on my example. XM-Ls are often not my favorite CW (yes LED shouldn't matter but somehow it does in the real world). However this one is nice. I like many things about the UI. On the down side the clip (for me) is bad. I think art shouldn't extend to pocket clips. They need to be pure function and this one bites (literally). The attack bezel isn't for me. That said when the time comes and the accessories go on fire sale might buy a SS one if it gets dirt cheap. I might get an extra clip if those go on close out and work it over with a dremel. Also the lack of a true low but 4 disco modes on an EDC is beyond design comprehension. If I was a fly on the wall when that decision was made would have screamed to the moon unless issues beyond design played a roll. That said the low (really medium) is nice.

The hidden medium is good and high really bright. All modes seemed clear of PWM or CC feedback (not sure what else to call that). 37 bucks was a steal. The one I ordered the other day for 22 even better. My first tool use was going into the basement to reset a breaker. Tonight will take it on a 5 mile dirt road jog. Maybe tie a lanyard on the awful (IMHO) clip. Also is it my imagination or does the 100 lumens for 4 hours seems good. I have not tested that but will be happy if that pans out. Though 4/7 has always been honest with the stated outputs/runtimes in my experience. I tossed in a 700 mAh protected though bet the runtimes were for a CR123 primary.

A&Q Moderator

If you don't care for the clip or strike bezel here is an option.....
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=1#post4782901

I usually leave all my knights/paladins on medium, just get in on medium and lock out the cap from there, then use it as a twisty and twist right back into medium.

Mr. Gardenir got my packages..................................:laughin g:
    I am a lanyard user. Check out around 13-15 minutes into the video to see why. So I kinda gotta use the clip.

A&Q Moderator

So after about 1.5 hours the protection kicked in at maybe around 3.4 volts. Took out the G2 with M61NLL to finish the night dirt road jog.

The Knight's beam was every bit as good on the dirt roads as I hoped. It was just great. I don't think the battery was totally full and at best it's 2.59 watt hours. A CR123 primary has maybe 4.6 Wh so the math kinda works out. Sorry no beam shots as the protection was sudden death as is often the case when running a protected battery in a light to the end. I will get some next time. I wonder if there wasn't some fighting (not literally but figuratively) between David and PK as to the design. Looking at the bezel without the guard I really think it would crack on impact more readily than acceptable. I don't think David would allow that. I dropped it by accident and no issue (with bezel ring on) but looks like the edge of the glass might actually be exposed without the ring. I think the ring is David. The clip doesn't need spikes to dig into someone's fingers. That must have been obvious to David who guessing has more experience with pocket lights (though my PK AAA is nice). Yet the tail cap is so PK and that's really good. I think the reflector is also David. The attack bezel is probably PK. I bet it would protect the window when bouldering if the headlamp was down but odds are it won't be deployed in the field by too many. Who knows but I might just replace the Quark 1XCR123 pro in the Backwoods Brawler PSK with this assuming everything holds up. It's smaller and has nice output. Maybe better in terms of efficiency than the XP-G2 1XCR123 Quark. I should check the numbers.
    Last edited by Woods Walker; 12-08-2017 at 02:09 AM.

Excellent Field review.
    I grew up on the east coast and spent an awful lot of time in the woods, mostly at night, your video reminded me of how beautiful they are.
    I do love the Sierras now.
    Would thinner paracord with a constrictor knot lanyard work?

A&Q Moderator

It's kinda like making a Kydex sheath for a Mora #2. No real place to grab hold of for a friction type knot. I think when the time comes a dremel to the clip will take care of it. The lanyard hole is probably always a PITA to consider into a light. How do you get it and still allow tail standing yet not ruin the lines of the gear item aka comfort, looks and usefulness. I suppose in the PSK it wouldn't matter. I only really used the Quark 1XCR123 in there once for actual PSK use. The rest was just screwing around. Got some old E01s as well. Same story. Once a PSK eats a gear item if can vanish for months or even years. Same for the BOB. Aw heck I bet the 72 hour BOB lights haven't seen light aka real use in years. Then again that's probably a good thing. In any case the great beam profile and ok (for CW) tint kinda makes up for it's plethora of disco and the baffling (my speculation aside) lack of a low mode etc etc etc.

A useful solution to consider might be the addition of what was called "12-cord" at the Telecommuncations Company. This is used for tying down electrical cabling in place. Over the years I have successfully used this super strong cord from tent guy strings to sewing leather. It's a wax impregnated Nylon cord usually sold in 9-12 ply at most electrical suppliers. It withstands the elements just fine and is available in many different colors. How strong? You can pull a vehicle with six strands of this stuff . It's soft enough to even make a necklace and not bother your skin and the wax adds friction allowing the use of many adjustable slip styled knots.
    GL

Awesome thread here. Have really enjoyed reading through the posts and scanning the field pics. Just placed an order for a Mini Turbo Mark II so hopefully I'll be able to contribute some pics soon

Excellent Field review.
    Yep! Top notch. Thank you for posting it.

I grew up on the east coast and spent an awful lot of time in the woods, mostly at night, your video reminded me of how beautiful they are.
    I do love the Sierras now.
    Would thinner paracord with a constrictor knot lanyard work?
    Here in the North West, we don't have any crunchy leaves. They all make a sloshing sound when stepped on.

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

I am a lanyard user. Check out around 13-15 minutes into the video to see why. So I kinda gotta use the clip.
    So after about 1.5 hours the protection kicked in at maybe around 3.4 volts. Took out the G2 with M61NLL to finish the night dirt road jog.

The Knight's beam was every bit as good on the dirt roads as I hoped. It was just great. I don't think the battery was totally full and at best it's 2.59 watt hours. A CR123 primary has maybe 4.6 Wh so the math kinda works out. Sorry no beam shots as the protection was sudden death as is often the case when running a protected battery in a light to the end. I will get some next time. I wonder if there wasn't some fighting (not literally but figuratively) between David and PK as to the design. Looking at the bezel without the guard I really think it would crack on impact more readily than acceptable. I don't think David would allow that. I dropped it by accident and no issue (with bezel ring on) but looks like the edge of the glass might actually be exposed without the ring. I think the ring is David. The clip doesn't need spikes to dig into someone's fingers. That must have been obvious to David who guessing has more experience with pocket lights (though my PK AAA is nice). Yet the tail cap is so PK and that's really good. I think the reflector is also David. The attack bezel is probably PK. I bet it would protect the window when bouldering if the headlamp was down but odds are it won't be deployed in the field by too many. Who knows but I might just replace the Quark 1XCR123 pro in the Backwoods Brawler PSK with this assuming everything holds up. It's smaller and has nice output. Maybe better in terms of efficiency than the XP-G2 1XCR123 Quark. I should check the numbers.
    Excellent Write up I will check out your Video later today, Thanks for posting this.

OPEN THEM OPEN THEM , very cool CG, i need to know what 47's are in side

Beamhead, WOW those stainless mini's are something else

Awesome write up as always WW

A&Q Moderator

Thanks! I found a fix for the PITA clip and lanyard issue. This moves the poking parts of the clip out of the way. Also seems to enhance the bezel protecting (add a bit more to the lip) and makes changing batteries and handling the light much easier. Hope this is legal.... LOL!

The light hangs at a good angle to spot light the ground if tied to something.

Now with break away lanyard....

Already saved me from one drop fighting the trash can a minute ago.

Quote Originally Posted by egginator1 View Post
    Sweet family needs a better family photo.

~ Cg

At least it shows actual lights not packages..................

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    Sweet family needs a better family photo.

~ Cg

At least it shows actual lights not packages..................
    You make a valid point. However, the value of foreplay shouldn't be overL@@Ked.

~ Cg

Nice Photo.
    It only shows the FourSevens kids. Where's all the 4Sevens Parent's?
    Excellent collection. I don't have each of those You have. You do need a better photo

I like the Ti P1 that l@@ks really nice.
    Last edited by Got Lumens?; 12-09-2017 at 01:22 PM.

A new Quark for Christmas, oh what will it be? A new in box 4Sevens AA for me.

~ Cg

Nice!
    I'm gonna ask Santa for a gift tonight

You make a valid point. However, the value of foreplay shouldn't be overL@@Ked.

~ Cg
    At my age I don't have time for that.

A new Quark for Christmas, oh what will it be? A new in box 4Sevens AA for me.

~ Cg
    How, where..................I want details.....................

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 69101112131415161718 LastLast