New Osram 66240 CBH

64.5vette

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

It looks like osram released a new D2S bulb, which claims a 6000k color temperature (meh), but more importantly is brighter than the previous king the CBI. Does anyone have any details on it?

This is an album showing its packaging, the bulb, and then its poorly measured brightness (not my pictures)
http://imgur.com/a/T9Zye

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The CBI (stands for "Cool Blue Intense") was never the "king". It's always been a poseur type item, like pretty much all bulbs promoted for the "whiteness" or high color temperature of their light. They are toys for people with babyish priorities (treating their headlamps as fashion accessories). If the goal is to maximize your ability to see at night -- which is the reason why headlamps exist -- then you don't mess with this Cool Blue nonsense and its equivalents from other makers. You buy the Osram Night Breaker or the Philips Xtreme Vision and hope you're getting genuine product and not Chinese counterfeit, or you go for a more esoteric product probably not being counterfeited and you get the Koito 4,000-lumen D2S.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
osram released a new D2S bulb, which claims a 6000k color temperature (meh), but more importantly is brighter than the previous king the CBI.
6000K? Ewww. Not only because it's just irritating, but it's underperforming.

The Cool Blue Intense is King of Marketing, but nothing else. You don't want what the CBI has to offer.

or you go for a more esoteric product probably not being counterfeited and you get the Koito 4,000-lumen D2S.

Not only 4000lm, but 4000 K, so really not obnoxious.

Koito also has a 3900 K D2S, which would be my preference (but not a "fashion toy" preference, rather having a less-strong blue component for less irritation driving). ("PLUS IT MATHCES MY HALOGENZ LOL!!!") I'm not sure how many lumens it puts out, though-- and would I notice a difference between 3900 K and 4000 K?

Getting counterfeits is a legitimate concern-- probably slightly less likely with Amazon than with eBay.

Sadly, even getting Koito products doesn't guarantee that it's all performance/no fluff. Koito DID bring us some Hello Kitty H4 bulbs (yes, officially licensed Sanrio "Hello Kitty"), and they also have quite a few other toys like 6500 K D4S and D4R capsules, as well as super-deeply tinted "Whitebeam" halogen bulbs. Guess they go where the money is...

Last edited:

haha1234

Newly Enlightened
I know with their halogens, CBI is legal and CBH is illegal blue. Is this the same Osram's HID bulbs?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know with their halogens, CBI is legal and CBH is illegal blue. Is this the same Osram's HID bulbs?
I can see screened on them "OFF ROAD..." and "NOT FOR..." but the curvature of the base makes reading the whole phrases impossible. Probably it is admission the bulbs don't meet the ECE type-approval standards. Not that here that wording has the force of law, but I wouldn't be surprised if their light were pretty abysmal.

Seeing how The Retrofit Sourcе raves about them, you don't want them.

Last edited:

Bitter

Newly Enlightened
A little off-topic but I thought the original purpose of the CBI bulb was to 'color match' worn OE bulbs when a single was replaced to avoid customer complaints about headlights being different colors?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
A little off-topic but I thought the original purpose of the CBI bulb was to 'color match' worn OE bulbs when a single was replaced to avoid customer complaints about headlights being different colors?

Yes, you thought that.

Replacing single bulbs, particularly with arc-discharge capsules, is foolish. Not only will the lamp colors not match, but a worn arc-discharge capsule can be particularly demanding on ballasts and can cause them to fail. If one fails, replace both at the same time. There's no brand-new HID capsule that matches a worn HID capsule anyway--whether in color temperature or output, and certainly not both.

Osram Marketing Fluff
Perfect design, in the perfect blue

More and more demanding drivers, impressed by the combination of fine design with flawless technology, refuse to deprive themselves of the whole deal and understand that extras have a certain cost. With the XENARC COOL BLUE INTENSE, they have everything they desire in a single automotive lamp. And as a perfectly matching extra, OSRAM can provide the right color halogen lamps to go with it.
I'm surprised this doesn't tout the benefits of soft Corinthian leather. (It also looks like maybe it was written by someone at Thе Retrоfit Sоurce or Hidplаnеt.)

Last edited:

Bitter

Newly Enlightened
Haha fair enough. I know to replace in pairs. I tell customers to replace in pairs. Customers don't always choose to replace in pairs.
Maybe they'll hire Ricardo Montalblan as a spokes person.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha fair enough. I know to replace in pairs. I tell customers to replace in pairs. Customers don't always choose to replace in pairs.
And for halogen: "Replace in pairs, keep one as a spare" or some similar, quick jingle.

Maybe they'll hire Ricardo Montalblan as a spokes person.
From beyond the graaaave!

But, yeah, Osram's marketing copy is annoying, full of meaningless "glittering generalities" and such.

Bitter

Newly Enlightened
I've got too many spares thanks to that jingle! Thanks for clearing up that CBI misconception.