Review: Lumintop IYP365

xelario

Newly Enlightened
IYP365 is new a penlight from Lumintop with a subtle luxurious look. I'm guessing IYP365 stands for "In Your Pocket 365 days a year".

MANUFACTURER SPECIFICATIONS

SPECS_zpsjm1cacjw.jpg

LED: High CRI Nichia 219BT
Reflector: textured / orange peel
Lens: Double-side AR coated tempered glass
Glow in the dark O-ring around reflector

IYP365 also comes in a cool white variant with a Cree XP-G2 LED. It has higher output on all modes, but the same runtime as my Nichia 219BT sample.

PACKAGING AND ACCESORIES

Lumintop IYP365 comes in a sturdy hard cardboard box.

DSC04708_zpsjgazo1uv.jpg

DSC04709_zpsr5moodto.jpg

Box contains the penlight, two Duracell AAA batteries (inside the flashlight in my sample)*, and two spare O-rings.
*Only purchases from Lumintop's official Amazon store will include batteries, wholesale and other platforms will not.

DSC04710_zpsnvn2xmy2.jpg

DSC04711_zpsc0wlxezc.jpg

DSC04714_zpsgfze07dd.jpg

There is no paper manual inside – all the information is printed on the box.

DSC04716_zpsuujgugzk.jpg

GENERAL LOOK AND FEEL

IYP365 is a penlight with a reverse clicky switch on the tail.

DSC04717_zpsdmkvzwdl.jpg

Olight O'Pen | Hugsby XP-2 | Lumintop IYP365

Machining is perfect, I found no sharp corners, chips in anodizing or any other defects in my sample.
I'm a bit tired of plain-old black anodizing, but here it's accented by two gold plated rings, which make IYP365 stand out from the crowd.
There is no knurling or any other apparent grip elements anywhere on IYP365, so it might feel a bit slippery at times.

HEAD

The bezel is flat, there are no crenellations. The lens is tempered glass with double-sided anti-reflective coating. A green glow in the dark O-ring is just behind it. The reflector is not deep and has a light orange peel texture, which makes for large hotspot with a very smooth transition to spill.
IYP365 uses a neutral white Nichia 219BT LED. It is perfectly centered. The tint is on the pink/rosy side.

DSC04718_zpsdhdgymx2.jpg

Logo, brand name and model name are laser engraved on the head.

DSC04721_zpsjr07aaci.jpg
DSC04722_zpslsbxjukw.jpg

Threads on the head are anodized, allowing for lock-out. This also allows using the head for changing modes by loosening and tightening it.
There is no spring on the positive terminal.

DSC04720_zpsesjycffe.jpg

BODY TUBE

Body tube does not have any markings on it. Neither does it have any knurling. Gold plated ring gives a bit of a luxurious look. The ring can be removed, but it shouldn't come off by itself while changing batteries, because it is held by a slightly bigger diameter O-ring.

DSC04725_zpsgpawwtpx.jpg

DSC04727_zpske8zjboi.jpg

Front-end threads are triangular cut and anodized. They came lightly pre-lubed and feel smooth in action. Tail-end threads are not anodized.

DSC04749_zps98iolf6w.jpg
DSC04729_zpsdfvwvpjp.jpg

Note that there is a narrowing on the tail end of the body tube. It makes it impossible to insert batteries through the tail-end.

Clip is stainless steel. There is no risk for it ever coming off, because it is not a clip-on type and it is held in place by the tailcap. It is quite stiff and works well.

DSC04730_zpsufglebei.jpg

DSC04732_zpsz2c3zyyi.jpg

TAILCAP

Tailcap houses the reverse clicky switch and a second gold plated ring. The switch spring is quite stiff, and travel is short, so accidental activation is not likely.

DSC04736_zps6uxndt0j.jpg
DSC04737_zpsooqrnkxm.jpg

The switch cover is made of metal. It's flat and quite wide, so IYP365 can tailstand.

DSC04742_zps6cq2rci7.jpg

The threads are triangular cut and not anodized. They came dry.

DSC04752_zps9jjlirh7.jpg

Tailcap can be further disassembled by unscrewing the retaining ring near the tailcap.

DSC04746_zpsyh52znzg.jpg

DSC04748_zpsp0by19uj.jpg

UI

Lupintop IYP365 has three modes (Mid, Low and High). There is no mode memory, it always starts on Mid.
User interface is very simple.

From off: click to access Mid.
From on: half press, loosen and tighten the head or click off and on again within about 2 seconds to cycle modes (Mid > Low > High > Mid…)

PWM

I consider myself very sensitive to low frequency PWM and spot it easily in normal use, but didn't notice any while using IYP365. A closer look ("wave it around really fast" test) did not show any "trailing" either.

CONCLUSION

IYP365 is a well built flashlight, except a slight gap between head and body tube, making gold plated ring loose. At 128mm it's quite short for a 2xAAA penlight. Clip is nice and sturdy, gold plated rings add some exclusivity without being too flashy, the 3 modes are well spaced, and high CRI Nichia option is a big plus in my book, although from 4 flashlights with Nichia emitters I own, this one has the most pinkish tint.

Lumintop IYP365 was provided by Lumintop for review.
Thank you for reading.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review, good comparison photos.

I like the looks of the Lumintop penlight. Looks like a 4Sevens Preon 2 (old version), only nicer.

I have the 4Sevens penlight. Eats through Eneloops, very unique flashlight design.

Javora

Enlightened
Good review. Comparing this light to my Thrunight Ti3 and I have to question the performance/run time. I would think that the lumens or run times would be better with a 2AAA light.

Thacker

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review. Looks nice. Just ordered one. There's a Lumintop direct Amazon code out there for 20% off that made this basically a $20 light with Prime, but I haven't posted in long time and don't remember the rules on external links... I don't expect this to be the Nichia Preon, but it's half the price.

niktak11

Newly Enlightened
There's a flash sale for this on banggood. Ordering one with a nichia for the gf

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine from GearBest (was a discount). It is hard to review one: it is perfect with a Nichia 219BT. Sounds dull -- "everything is OK". Nice finish, good centering of a LED, nice tint, excellent output distribution... Oh, I have found a drawback! :) Panasonic BK-4HGAE 1000 mAh produce a little bit of rattle inside :D

BTW, saw in one of reviews that a brass decorative ring near the head has some sloppiness. Not in my case: the head is tight, the ring is fixed in its place.

Last edited:

a16

Newly Enlightened
I am quite interested in this torch to replace the rather lacklustre Maglite 2AA (Krypton).
How is the regulation circuit? It seems like it shares the head innards with the Worm or Tool (1xAAA) Nichia 219B models. There seemed to be a bit of a lottery on the Tool in getting regulated High mode.

Does anyone have a clue as to just how long these torches will perform for? Longevity of (relatively) expensive LED assemblies vs. cheap twin packs of replacement incandescent Krypton or Xenon bulbs. I know I am definitely not comparing apples with apples here as the Maglite with it's ancient bulb will put out a lot less lumens than even the single AAA models on medium mode. I should search for a thread on LED longevity...

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am quite interested in this torch to replace the rather lacklustre Maglite 2AA (Krypton).
How is the regulation circuit? It seems like it shares the head innards with the Worm or Tool (1xAAA) Nichia 219B models. There seemed to be a bit of a lottery on the Tool in getting regulated High mode.

Does anyone have a clue as to just how long these torches will perform for? Longevity of (relatively) expensive LED assemblies vs. cheap twin packs of replacement incandescent Krypton or Xenon bulbs. I know I am definitely not comparing apples with apples here as the Maglite with it's ancient bulb will put out a lot less lumens than even the single AAA models on medium mode. I should search for a thread on LED longevity...

Another option to the IYP365, which I carried for a couple months until replacing it with the Nitecore MT06 about a week ago, is the MT06, even though it's not a Nichia high CRI LED. What I prefer about the MT06 is the L-H mode sequence and the clicky switch itself, which just seems more repeatable in results when clicking between modes than my IYP365. I have never grown to like the M-L-H mode sequence on the IYP365.

Also, the new Nitecore MT06MD with a high CRI Nichia should be shipping anytime. It has the L-M-H mode sequence, which I prefer.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own an MT06 as well and like it. It is well built and seems very sturdy. It is the type of light that I would have had in my suit wearing days in IT. I really want to get the new -MD version, but I already have a bunch of other lights, mainly Lumintop, that fit into the same niche and have Nichia LEDs, so no new MT06MD for me.

a16

Newly Enlightened
Ah, yes I saw that Nitecore "Medical" torch. Looked interesting for sure. Looks like we'll have to wait a little longer to see if the UK store starts getting them in.
I'd hold off until the more eager jump on it and test them out. I don't mean that to sound as bad as it read :)

wolfgaze

Enlightened
I have this light... I throw it in my winter jacket and keep it as an emergency light. I may eventually just keep it in my vehicle... It's definitely a budget light both in price point and in that the build quality leaves something to be desired. The Nichia is great, pocket clip is so-so, the clicky action is flimsy, and I don't care for how that gold spacer is lose and falls off easily during disassembly. I don't know about everyone else but I'd much prefer to pay twice the price (or more) for a higher quality, well-built penlight - rather than simply having a good budget penlight...

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have this light... I throw it in my winter jacket and keep it as an emergency light. I may eventually just keep it in my vehicle... It's definitely a budget light both in price point and in that the build quality leaves something to be desired. The Nichia is great, pocket clip is so-so, the clicky action is flimsy, and I don't care for how that gold spacer is lose and falls off easily during disassembly. I don't know about everyone else but I'd much prefer to pay twice the price (or more) for a higher quality, well-built penlight - rather than simply having a good budget penlight...
Funny you should say that. Look at the new Nitecore MT06MD - Nichia LED, three modes, sturdy build, classy appearance, and about twice the price of an IYP365. Current street price is right at $32 USD.

As far as the gold ring. Have you thought about taking a toothpick and putting a very tiny drop of superglue on the underside of the ring from the front? If you do it from the front and to the underside, then there will be no possible bump to mar the surface appearance. Prop it up vertically while it sets, or wrap a twisty tie around the threads to hold the ring tight to the body so no gap is created. Personally, it isn't a problem for me, but then I'm not you, and you are just as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine.

wolfgaze

Enlightened
As far as the gold ring. Have you thought about taking a toothpick and putting a very tiny drop of superglue on the underside of the ring from the front? If you do it from the front and to the underside, then there will be no possible bump to mar the surface appearance. Prop it up vertically while it sets, or wrap a twisty tie around the threads to hold the ring tight to the body so no gap is created. Personally, it isn't a problem for me, but then I'm not you, and you are just as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine.

Thanks for your suggestions... The reason I haven't tried to do anything to the light is that it's pretty low on my 'likely to carry' list... 99% of the time I will opt for my Maratac/Lumintop AAA's... As more of an extra/emergency light that I can just store away somewhere - the IYP is fine and suitable in that role....

I do really like the feel of a penlight in my hand though. The thin profile, ample gripping area, and I prefer to hold flashlights in that position with your arm upright and your thumb on the tail clicky... I'll check into the Nitecore but probably unlikely to order anything else at this time as I just ordered (2) of the Maratac AAA Cu's....

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I've done that and do regret now. I have purchased a titanium version. All would be fine if not its "finish" which is not existent. I've got a feeling it has just fallen off a CNC machine: I feel and see tooling marks, no polish absolutely. No, it does not have any burrs, but titanium gives that extremely harsh surface feeling... Threads are very gritty (titanium feature) as well. If you remove the switch part you definitely will regret that move -- gritty threads and rather strong clip mix very poorly. It was an effort to screw it back together properly.

And it is not damn cheap to ignore nonexistent finish.

Cannot understand that Lumintop's move having in mind their stainless models are polished to mirror gloss.

Last edited: