Running Board Lighting

JMSinMD

Newly Enlightened
Looking to add up to an 80" long LED light strip underneath each of my vehicle running boards. I'm going to have them wired to illuminate when the doors open only (to function as puddle lights). Can anyone suggest any quality brands? I've had cheap ones before but it's such a harsh environment that they did not last for long. I hope this post doesn't violate any rules of the forum.

eggsalad

Enlightened
Looking to add up to an 80" long LED light strip underneath each of my vehicle running boards. I'm going to have them wired to illuminate when the doors open only (to function as puddle lights). Can anyone suggest any quality brands? I've had cheap ones before but it's such a harsh environment that they did not last for long. I hope this post doesn't violate any rules of the forum.

I'm not going to recommend any particular brand, vendor, or product. What I am going to do is try to give you some hints.

You want to look for a product with an IP68 rating. IP stands for Intrusion Protection, the higher the better, and 68 is the highest rating I can find for strip lighting.

However, strip lighting just seems to be inherently weak in high-stress environments like the underside of a running board. Instead, I would urge you to consider one of the kits of daisy-chained individual fixtures. Even though they are still rated IP68, the nature of individual fixtures allows for better sealing against water and protection from impact.

You won't get the smooth, even output that you would from strip lighting, but I think they will last longer. If you Google the phrase "LED Rock Lights", you should find some good choices. "Rock Lights" is the term that off-roaders would use for puddle lights.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Read up on the IP numbers here.

I agree with the suggestion for individual lamp units instead of strip lighting. You don't need a lot of light for this application, and too much would make safety problems. Rock lights...yeah, maybe, but that market is flooded with junk at all price points. If I were doing a project like yours, I would these.