Ruggedized Battery bank

GMUGNIER

Newly Enlightened
Good afternoon all. This probably isn't the correct venue for this question, but i did a basic search on the net for a specific battery forum and nothing came up. So maybe someone here can help. Thanks in advance for any help/information that you can provide..

I am looking for a Ruggedized? Battery bank that uses standard 18650 button top replaceable cells, I have found quite a few that have cells wired, or welded in place but i am looking for something that i could quickly change out the batteries, i would prefer something that has 20,000 mah or better. I am attaching some links to packs that i have researched and are commercially available but they seem to all have some form of permanent battery.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B73I5ZU/?tag=cpf0b6-20

I found this one that has quick charge technology for fast charging of cell phones and such, but once again, not user replaceable or field replaceable batteries, and not ruggedized
https://www.anker.com/products/B1372111

Then there was this one that was of particular interest as it is supposedly waterproof, and also outputted type C, but as you probably already guessed no field replaceable batteries
http://zerolemon.com/product/zerole...-charger-max-6a-output-quad-usb-output-black/

This one that did indeed have the option of battery replacement but it lacked the output i need and had output tether wires that are permanently installed in the case, as well as low amperage output per tether.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018A96ZVK/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Once again guys thanks for any help or suggestions that can be provided..

Last edited:

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
you could get a 12$ TOMO powerbank (4x18650 replaceables) and put it in a pelican case or otterbox

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
The problem you will have is that packs that open to replace the batteries reduces the "ruggedness" a huge amount. A 20,000mah battery pack would have to have at least 6 cells in it of 3400mah or 8 at 2500mah. If you want to use the USB function I've seen a 4 cell pack that is 2x2 18650 with an 8.4v output and a USB output on gearbest. It was on sale awhile back for around 7 dollars the only bad thing about it is parasitic drain is a bit high. The alternative is to purchase 18650 battery holders, get a rugged box and buy a Cheap power bank to scavenge the electronics from and make your own.

GMUGNIER

Newly Enlightened
Ok so does anyone know if there is a better forum or section for a question of this nature? I know its possible that it might not exist, but in this day and age I have found with the right resources anything is possible.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Also another problem is that power banks that allow you to replace the cells often aren't designed to accommodate button top 18650 batteries as they have all the batteries wired in parallel and/or have built in protection circuits. I've bought a half dozen different types/sizes/styles of power banks that are designed to allow replacement of batteries and most of them the fit may be too tight for a button top 18650 in them as you have to pry the batteries out as they don't want the flat top batteries "bouncing" around in the cases reducing proper connection and causing possible connection issues (sparks, etc) in use and charging.

terjee

Enlightened
As a general thing, packs are monogamous, they like to be married. That is, they don't like their cells to be used separately for something else. You shouldn't have a powerback of 4x18650 for example, and then remove one to use in a flashlight or vape mod. If you look at them like a static pack, does the cell-format really matter that much? It's also a lot easier to make a rugged thing if you don't need it to be user-serviceable.

I have one of these, under a different brand: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HY44VTQ/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Two of those would cost you less, give you about the same amount of power, but more flexibility (use one, charge one).

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of user-replaceable cells as well, but having given it some though, replacing the whole thing isn't that much of an issue. You could also have spare packs on the shelf, just as well as spare cells. I'd be interested to hear if you find the perfect rugged with replaceable, might even consider it myself, but last I looked (months, but not years), the one you linked, whos smaller version I linked, turned up the best option.

terjee

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
you could get a 12$ TOMO powerbank (4x18650 replaceables) and put it in a pelican case or otterbox

I ordered one last night, upon your reminding me about them.

Ordered a white V8 from Tomo, itself, for $16.90 shipped. They were more money from US sellers on Ebay.

I like my authentic Xiaomi Mi 10,000mAh (3x18650) bank and silicon sleeve a lot, but the cells are hardwired. The Ruinovo 4x18650, isn't, but my two amp input port has crapped out on me, so I'll try the Tomo V8 and see what I see.

Chris