Olight R50 Seeker review (2500 lumen,XHP50,26650)

viperxp

Enlightened
Greeting,
This review will be dedicated to a new powerful flashlight from Olight, the R50 Seeker.

1463692522052_zps2eshggrw.jpg

What's interesting about this light?

1. While being relatively compact and being powered by only one battery, the output is 2500 lumen, and that's a lot.
2. Build in charger, standard micro-usb socket.
3. A nice present package, a high quality USB adapter with respectable 2A output.

Shall we begin?

DSC_4208_DxO_cr_zps3r0ehx8m.jpg
DSC_4209_DxO_cr_zps6kw8rfyj.jpg
DSC_4210_DxO_zpskjouqmiu.jpg
DSC_4211_DxO_cr_zpsesrzdod7.jpg

The box is relatively compact and comes whapped in nylon. The flashlight picture on the cover is kinda 3D, you can feel it with your hand.

DSC_4212_DxO_cr_zpsnp7xb1gi.jpg
DSC_4213_DxO_cr_zpswdu40alu.jpg

After opening the box you get a feeling that the thing that it holds is expensive and special. The box has magnetic closing - it will be really nice to hold the flashlight while it is not being used.
The flashlight has mechanic accidental turning on protection - and there is a warning inside the box that the feature is active (the threads are anodized - it is enough to not completely screw the tailcap in - and it's on).

DSC_4214_DxO_cr_zpsifc8zy5d.jpg
DSC_4216_DxO_cr_zpshxdacxxt.jpg
DSC_4218_DxO_cr_zpsfbndftsr.jpg

There is a small carton box that holds user manual, the power adapter with an 2.1A output, holster and USB cable.

DSC_4219_DxO_cr_zpsftuowefk.jpg
DSC_4220_DxO_cr_zps1c5xkkkb.jpg

DSC_4219_DxO_cr_zpsftuowefk.jpg
DSC_4220_DxO_cr_zps1c5xkkkb.jpg
DSC_4221_DxO_cr_zpseyftw3lp.jpg

Here is the cable, lanyard and the user manual.

DSC_4224_DxO_cr_zpslfzyekmv.jpg
DSC_4225_DxO_cr_zpsztbotg4d.jpg

And there is the light itself. The flashlight resembles the Baton series a lot - it is just much larger. I thing the size is optimal to hold in the hand - not too tiny, not too big.

DSC_4226_DxO_cr_zpsml8u7o70.jpg
DSC_4227_DxO_cr_zps49ijiccg.jpg

XPH50 Led, a shallow orange peel reflector - a recipe to a strong near-field illumination (a real flooder). The lens as usual has anti-reflective coating and is free from any quality issues.

DSC_4228_DxO_cr_zpscndimm7a.jpg
DSC_4229_DxO_cr_zpsi94gkiqb.jpg

The tailcap has a USB charging socket covered by a massive silicone cover.

DSC_4246_DxO_cr_zpswub5j3bi.jpg
DSC_4247_DxO_cr_zpskjxocfux.jpg

The socket is being lit with red light while charging, and green while the charging is complete. You can also use it while the flashlight is on - I saw a current draw of 1A from the power supply.

DSC_4231_DxO_cr_zpsue3rqset.jpg
DSC_4235_DxO_cr_zpsphiixaeh.jpg

The tailcap is responsible for charging - as you can see the contacts fit the proprietary Olight 26550 battery.

DSC_4232_DxO_cr_zpscpxmyrrk.jpg
DSC_4233_DxO_cr_zpsswemz6x6.jpg
DSC_4234_DxO_cr_zpsm9diikii.jpg
DSC_4238_DxO_cr_zps6qkmsaky.jpg
DSC_4239_DxO_cr_zpsngtktxac.jpg

The battery has negative and positive leads at one side of the flashlight. 18650 looks really tiny near this battery...

DSC_4230_DxO_cr_zpshx5kftaw.jpg

The button is firm, but not too firm with a clear click feel.

DSC_4222_DxO_cr_zpsfk9pxtze.jpg

A bit about controlling the light...

DSC_4243_DxO_cr_zpsxwxz5fy8.jpg
DSC_4244_DxO_cr_zpsnwuuicdp.jpg
DSC_4245_DxO_cr_zpsmdpfjxlc.jpg

The power adapter is high quality one, the voltage is being held within reasonable limits even under load. The adapter was able to provide the maximum current that my test load draws. The flashlight consumed only up to 1A (maybe while the battery is fully drained the draw will be higher).

DSC_4240_DxO_cr_zpsvxpdnyx6.jpg

The flashlight sits really nice in hand

Let's work?

DSC_4241_DxO_cr_zpsuklptcjd.jpg
DSC_4251_DxO_cr_zps4xkutszg.jpg
026_zpscqkgpcqk.jpg

No artefacts, just a huge hotspot and some sidespill

020_zpsefghwi1v.jpg
021_zpsgtjjls76.jpg
022_zpsnrqcavpc.jpg
023_zpsx2oqebwv.jpg
024_zpshudtr2ur.jpg

Maybe it is the perfect light for every day use - there is a lot of light near you, but it has enough power to light a bit far too.

025_zps8axqhvhi.jpg

There is GITD o-ring near reflector, just like in the older Olight flashlights.

Some numbers (lux in a meter distance)

Flashlight/ModeUltralowLowMidTurbo
Olight R50 Seeker28038001100022000
Olight SR mini21004320800013500
Olight SR mini Ⅱ8003000900018000

Considering the flashlight size, the hotspot size and using only one battery - outstanding results.

Conclusion, final words

A very nice flashlight. I did not expect such a power from such a compact flashlight. The gift package, quality power adapter and the bundled rechargeable battery surely fill contribute to success of this model.

I would like to thank Olight for providing me the review sample
----------------------------------------------------------------
Questions? Suggestions? Let me know and I will be happy to assist.

Last edited:

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review viperxp. Good beamshots!

Proprietary battery is disappointing, but it looks like a great light. I would love to see it next to an S1 Baton! :D

Lex Icon

Newly Enlightened
Moments like this remind us how lucky we were when Selfbuilt had more spare time to hang out here.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
even though I pre ordered this light and should have it any day now and I freaking love my R40 all I gotta say is WTF??? Olight...seriously? Going to make me buy the proper sheath separately again? Great to see a 4th mode but "low" is 50 lumens???

Once again there is NO excuse for this or the R40 to not at least have one sweet robust clip as an option. I will be measuring the poopy proprietary cell and ordering a far better cell as soon as I get it. Then we will be straight. Great review thank you.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight must have had some major warranty returns on the R40 due to its micro USB cover which to me is kinda weird as the cover on my R40 is quality and fits perfectly. Then again I never use the charging port so..

tops2

Enlightened
Thanks for the review!

Wow, the R50 either is huge or the S1 is that small! Lol..
Would you say the beam of the R50 looks similar to the S1 but larger hotspot and further throwing? The review pics to me looks like a huge hotspot with not much spill a little similar to the S1.

I'd prefer another level below the 50 lm or have a hidden moonlight like the S1, but that's just a personal preference. Sometimes I like maybe 10 lumens or so just to have enough light.

This light wasn't on my radar, but after seeing the review, I'm getting interested.

Look forward to the S1A review. Curious to see how it compares to the S1. My S1 is still my favorite as my primary EDC.

Last edited:

chumley

Enlightened
tops2 the S1 is very small, the R50 is a compact light not huge at all. The R50 beam has a large hotspot and wide spill, much more spill than the S1 has.

pblanch

Enlightened
This will be sweet when the add the magnetic charger. So want it.

Lumenwolf

Enlightened
Can anyone advise best type of battery to use in this aftermarket. We have trouble getting Keeppower in the UK. Was thinking of a protected 5200mah with a 30amp high drain type???