An excellent technical paper on the exact differences between EU and US laws and more

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Yep, that's a really interesting and incisive paper, and Stern is cited a number of times in it, you might ping him if you're interested; he sent me some unpublished commentary on that paper with more data and analysis.

Come to think of it, that paper you linked really ought to be in the regs-and-standards sticky on here. I'll get to work on that when I'm not reading the board from my tablet.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Come to think of it, that paper you linked really ought to be in the regs-and-standards sticky on here. I'll get to work on that when I'm not reading the board from my tablet.
Done!

If only we could harmonize the very best parts of both lighting systems. Red rear sidemarkers (go, USA!), and a requirement for a rear fog lamp (go UNECE!), as well as *regulating* front fog lamps at the Federal level (bravo, UNECE!) would be some great starts.

eggsalad

Enlightened
Done!

a requirement for a rear fog lamp (go UNECE!)

While you're writing the requirements for rear fog lights, could you make sure that the maximum number of them is ONE?

I'm getting really tired of driving behind morons in cars with 2 rear fogs integrated into the tail lights, using those fogs inappropriately.

It makes me wonder if they're just morons of if they're braking and the CHMSL is burned out.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
While you're writing the requirements for rear fog lights, could you make sure that the maximum number of them is ONE?
I tend to agree. A single rear fog lamp, on the side of the car that is the prevailing driver's side, and at least 10cm away from any lighted edge of a stop lamp (I'd go so far as to keep them away from the lighted edge of a tail lamp, too, car stylists be danged to heck) disambiguates the signal. And it's less retina-burning when:

...behind morons in cars with 2 rear fogs integrated into the tail lights, using those fogs inappropriately.
I've been in that situation in heavyish rain and very heavy traffic. Some guy with more dollars than sense, judging by the shiny new Audi with a switch he doesn't understand.

It makes me wonder if they're just morons of if they're braking and the CHMSL is burned out.
I'm pretty sure they're just morons.