Help me decide which light:

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
From skylumen,

ZebraLight SC600 MK III XHP35 HI or

Mecarmy PT 18vn

Both same price and similar output, both come with a high drain cell. I really like mecarmy USB port feature, but want to try my first ZL as well. But I'm more drawn to ZL SC5w AA that produces 500lm from a single eneloop cell. Please advise since my wallet cannot get all at this time, the logical answer to these which light questions...

ven

Flashaholic
ZL mk3 for me by a long way...............USB are ok, convenient but not to be relied on............call it a weakness.

The 500lm from an AA cell will be short lived, so bare that in mind, around that level on the mk3 HI you will get continuous run time for probably 3+ hrs

BootsAndCats

Newly Enlightened
I just got my ZL sc600 mk iii in NW and I do like it. I have never had the other light, but I do have lights with the same emitter. I think if they were the same price the ZL is the clear choice, but if you get the Mec for around $60, I would try that. Usb charging is for n00bs and friends of flashaholics, not for enthusiasts use unless it is an emergency. Consider the fact that you are dealing with unprotected cells, you should be using a quality charger.

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my ZL sc600 mk iii in NW and I do like it. I have never had the other light, but I do have lights with the same emitter. I think if they were the same price the ZL is the clear choice, but if you get the Mec for around $60, I would try that. Usb charging is for n00bs and friends of flashaholics, not for enthusiasts use unless it is an emergency. Consider the fact that you are dealing with unprotected cells, you should be using a quality charger.

Is there any inherent danger in using the usb charger to top off cells in the light?

ven

Flashaholic
One issue could be argued the cell is contained , so sealed basically.......if anything does go wrong then BOOM all be it unlikely. Any usb light is worth checking after use. Voltage check, leave in the light once charged for 30m or so, check voltage again to make sure terminated. Cheap usb lights can trickle charge and .......well keep charging!

Any my lights I have had have always been ceecked, then periodically. My only 2 lights right now that I do use(no choice) is the rc40, the termination voltage after 4 separate checks (3.5a charge rate for the 6 cells in 2s 3p)is a little low, which is fine by me. The little cooyoo which works well and charges to 4.15v......again fine by me as its a tiny cell,rate is around 0.1A when measured.

Cells in a charger can be monitored easily and periodically if needed. However the sub option is handy to have for sure, not something I would fully rely on either way......call it a bonus feature for that time when no other means.

Would not say a danger, just not ideal to rely on if you have better means, that is my opinion though, others will differ. Some it will be a big convenience, could also argue it takes complexity out(separate charger, setting the charge rate etc). For new users, could be an easier way into the world of li ion.........so pros/cons.....as with pretty much everything in life !

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for feedback. The mini-1vn is my first light Thant can usb charge which I thought was genius but didn't really consider the possible risks. Does anyone know if in that light for example when the green light comes on, does it stop charging?

BootsAndCats

Newly Enlightened
Well, it is hard to say for sure. It should stop at exactly 4.20V, but really depends on the quality of the unit. Some will also do what Ven said, but I would hope you don't run into that. I try to only use protected batteries in lights that have built-in charging. (Makes it safe for friends and family too) The only unprotected charging light I have is a TubeVN, and that has a very tiny battery, and I am careful with it. I would always suggest charging lithium batteries when you are home, preferably in the same room to monitor the batteries. These lights are designed by the manufacturer to safely charge the batteries they are designed to use, however, there are plenty of things in this world that do not work as intended, and that's why I am always cautious.