What's the best 18350 rechargeable battery?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking at 3.7V.

I run a Malkoff in a "3P" FiveMega body and want to take advantage of the 18mm body. I currently run a 16340 and it works ok but want something with more capacity, I understand there is a 30% difference.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking at 3.7V.

I run a Malkoff in a "3P" FiveMega body and want to take advantage of the 18mm body. I currently run a 16340 and it works ok but want something with more capacity, I understand there is a 30% difference.

Either the Keeppower IMR 18350, or the AWT IMR, if you're pulling more than 2A. I bought two of the AWTs when I got the 18350 body for my Convoy S2+ Triple XP-L that Ven got me earlier in the year. That driver pulls 6A, so I needed an IMR cell. I get about 8 minutes on 6A turbo with the 800mAh AWTs, which tested pretty good on my Opus 3400.

Either should be fine to fiddle with and they're not too spendy.

Chris

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am running it with a lowly Malkoff M61LL so don't need more than 150 mah or whatever it pulls. don't need IMR. Is there a 'regular' 18mm version?

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the size you are looking I don't think you'll find ICR chemistry 18350s that will give you more runtime than IMR cells (even with claimed capacities). I like the AW 800mAh 18350 cells. The eFest purple 18350 cells are good too. I've read good things about the Keepower but don't have any hands-on experience with them.

Just a friendly reminder - keep in mind with the drop-in you are referring to there is no LVC, and with the low current draw you could drain a cell too far without knowing it. IMR would be the more forgiving chemistry for this scenario.

Strintguy

Enlightened
I run the same (but would NEVER call it "lowly") Malkoff, I use AW 18350 IMR and have had very good and long life out of these batteries.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a non-protected version?

No, except for the IMRs. At this point, you're better off with the known quality of the IMRs, because they're more popular. Look how craptastic the Efest 900 ICR was in HKJ's test?

Theoretically, you might lose a couple of minutes of capacity, but you're getting halfway decent cells, that utilize a 'somewhat' safer chemistry.

These small cells mostly all come from anonymous factories in China, so in this case, name brands might be tellingly important.

Chris

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the size you are looking I don't think you'll find ICR chemistry 18350s that will give you more runtime than IMR cells (even with claimed capacities). I like the AW 800mAh 18350 cells. The eFest purple 18350 cells are good too. I've read good things about the Keepower but don't have any hands-on experience with them.

Just a friendly reminder - keep in mind with the drop-in you are referring to there is no LVC, and with the low current draw you could drain a cell too far without knowing it. IMR would be the more forgiving chemistry for this scenario.

that's a good point... I almost always run cells without a protection circuit and got used to swapping them on a regular basis.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run the same (but would NEVER call it "lowly") Malkoff, I use AW 18350 IMR and have had very good and long life out of these batteries.

It was obviously sarcasm.. I've had my first Malkoff for 7 years and still use it on a regular basis. M60L mates really with a 3P and 18350.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool thanks.
Seems capacity goes down as Amps increase. Who runs anything at 10A?

Not 10A, but my 3Tronics triple XP-L HI mentioned above, direct drives at a measured (by me) 6A on its highest/turbo mode and that's getting up there for a light running a small cell.

Chris

CuriousOne

Enlightened
I bought them on ebay from seller xtardirect or xtar-usa, don't remember now, but can check if necessary. Bought also IMR 14500 and protected 18650 xtar cells from him.