Cree XHP50 headlight project

Status
Not open for further replies.

brazvan85

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I recently bought a Yamaha Nmax 125cc scooter. Unfortunately in the dark, with some rain coming down, you can't see anything on the road with the stock headlight.

I am planning to do a project on my scooter headlamp wich is powered by triple 6W leds, and upgrade with three Cree XHP50 leds. I found some basic instructions how to do it, however i don't know for sure which version of xhp50 to use and what do i need to power them up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

I recently bought a Yamaha Nmax 125cc scooter. Unfortunately in the dark, with some rain coming down, you can't see anything on the road with the stock headlight.
That's not the best vehicle to be driving at night and in the rain. Apparently, these have a pretty high top speed for their size and you'll surely be overdriving your headlamps easily.

I am planning to do a project on my scooter headlamp wich is powered by triple 6W leds, and upgrade with three Cree XHP50 leds. I found some basic instructions how to do it, however i don't know for sure which version of xhp50 to use and what do i need to power them up.
Unfortunately, this is not how we do things. We can't just throw LEDs or lightbulbs into a fixture and call it good. The lamps you have were, for better or for worse, built by the manufacturer or their chosen supplier to meet the applicable regulations. You may be able to add an auxiliary lamp, but breaking into the existing fixture to change the light source is not safe.

brazvan85

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:
Unfortunately, this is not how we do things. We can't just throw LEDs or lightbulbs into a fixture and call it good. The lamps you have were, for better or for worse, built by the manufacturer or their chosen supplier to meet the applicable regulations. You may be able to add an auxiliary lamp, but breaking into the existing fixture to change the light source is not safe.

So adding an auxiliary light or some dodgy fog lights you think would work better than replacing leds? Would not auxiliary lights have too much glare and blind oncoming traffic?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
So adding an auxiliary light or some dodgy fog lights you think would work better than replacing leds? Would not auxiliary lights have too much glare and blind oncoming traffic?
Fog lamps are not auxiliary headlamps (they are neither low beams nor high beams). Carefully-chosen and properly aimed auxiliary low beams would not blind oncoming traffic; auxiliary high beams (as with normal high beams) must not be used with oncoming traffic, or with forward traffic in the same direction when they are about 200 feet in front of you (with an unobstructed view-- if they disappear over the hill and you dip them as soon as you see the vehicle again, you're OK if you're closer).

Replacing the LEDs won't/can't work better because you've ruined your headlamps the moment you've opened them up, and without proper photometric testing you won't know if you've created all kinds of new glare problems. So, don't do that.

We have some helpful stickies that you might like to read:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...is-First!-How-to-Get-the-Most-from-This-Forum
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ng-Laws-amp-Regulations-•-Documents-amp-Links

thejrod

Newly Enlightened
Moderator Edit
Try not violating Rules 8 and 11.

--Alaric D

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.