Best 10440 battery for DQG Ti VIII Titanium AAA/10440

oxford_guy

Newly Enlightened
Hi - I decided to splash out and treat myself to a new EDC flashlight and have recently ordered a DQG Ti VIII Titanium AAA/10440 - these work with 10440 Li-ion batteries and I already have a charger that would work with these, but no 10440 batteries.

As I understand it, though, it won't work with all 10440 batteries, I think I read somewhere that it works only with the sort with a raised positive terminal nub (I may be wrong about this), I'm also not sure whether protected batteries would fit (don't think so, though). What brands/models of 10440s should I buy looking to get (and ideally from where - I'm based in the UK BTW)? Thanks!

Last edited:

oxford_guy

Newly Enlightened
Oh - I read one post on this forum that seemed to suggest that you get PWM with both modes if using 10440s with the DQG, so maybe I should stick with Eneloop Pros? Sad if the case, though, as I think low mode is only 3 lumens on Eneloops but 5 on 10440s, so am still willing to give them a go and see how noticeable the PWM is.

Last edited:

swan

Banned
I had trouble trying to purchase the efest 10440, so i took a punt on four x soshine 10440 for $7.50 at fasttech. Hard to find any info on these cells.

The Soshine 10440 350mah is a good cell because of its size, it will fit almost any light and has good real capacity.

It is the exact size of a std Eneloop, uses a small raised button top is protected with a 2.8v cut off and delivers 2A max current. [K18 draws about 1amp ]

I use them all my aaa lights and am very happy with the quality, performance they deliver and having a 2.8v safety cut out, it stops the cells from being damaged due to over discharge or parasitic drain.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the eFest IMR 10440 are some of the best 10440 cells you can get. I've been using them for years and they've proven very reliable and long lasting.

oxford_guy

Newly Enlightened
I think the eFest IMR 10440 are some of the best 10440 cells you can get. I've been using them for years and they've proven very reliable and long lasting.

Thanks - I will probably get 2 or more of these then (they're about £4 each, but postage is also about £4), as not sure I can easily get the Soshine ones in the UK. I understand that IMR technology is a bit safer too? Do the Efest IMR 10440 have any low voltage safety cut out or is this not need on IMR batteries? Am not sure if the DQG flashlight itself has any built in low voltage protection, though they do say the 10440 batteries are officially supported.

oxford_guy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks - I will probably get 2 or more of these then (they're about £4 each, but postage is also about £4), as not sure I can easily get the Soshine ones in the UK. I understand that IMR technology is a bit safer too? Do the Efest IMR 10440 have any low voltage safety cut out or is this not need on IMR batteries? Am not sure if the DQG flashlight itself has any built in low voltage protection, though they do say the 10440 batteries are officially supported.

Having said that, IMR seems to have it's issues too and t bbc e protected Soshine 10440s with buttons can be purchased cheap via UK Amazon here:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0186P32PU/

Should I go for these or the Efest IMRs?

swan

Banned
The Soshine are the same size as an Eneloop

28580698315_017fa7210b_z.jpg

Last edited:

swan

Banned
Interesting, then I doubt they have protection.

Never tested the cut off volts, so I just ran one cell down to 2.2v- HKJ you are correct.

Even though Soshine claims to have a 2.8v cut off it does not, i stand corrected. I will continue to use them as i am happy with their performance /size, but out of curiosity i will order some efests and compare the two.

oxford_guy

Newly Enlightened
Never tested the cut off volts, so I just ran one cell down to 2.2v- HKJ you are correct.

Even though Soshine claims to have a 2.8v cut off it does not, i stand corrected. I will continue to use them as i am happy with their performance /size, but out of curiosity i will order some efests and compare the two.

Okay, in that case I'll probably go for the button top Efests - if unprotected, would rather run IMRs, just hope they fit!

swan

Banned
The text on the cell can be read as you must cut-off your load when the voltage is down to 2.8 volt.

Yes, i think i made the wrong assumption about this cell being protected, thanks HKJ for your input and lesson learnt.

swan

Banned
Okay, in that case I'll probably go for the button top Efests - if unprotected, would rather run IMRs, just hope they fit!

The length of some 10440 cells seem to be an issue with with these small lights. If the efest button tops are the same length as an eneloop you will be fine.

oxford_guy

Newly Enlightened

NB: postage is free from allbatteries.co.uk if spending more than £10

oxford_guy

Newly Enlightened
The length of some 10440 cells seem to be an issue with with these small lights. If the efest button tops are the same length as an eneloop you will be fine.

I've now ordered a few EFest IMRs from allbatteries, when I get my DQC I will test and report back

oxford_guy

Newly Enlightened
Okay, just got back from 3 weeks away (voluntary work in Kenya) and found my new DQG Tiny Ti AAA waiting for me in the post :)

I've tried it with Efest IMR 10440 Li-Mh button top batteries, and it seems to work fine, with no apparent PWM as far as I can tell.

This was the old post I read that suggested that there is PWM when using Li-On batteries with the DQG, though this was posted in 2014, so before current models of the the DQG Tiny:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-DQG-Tiny-Ti&p=4495517&viewfull=1#post4495517
"The dqg uses slow pwm in both modes when using a 10440. I like it with a normal aaa, hate it with a 10440 if that makes sence :)"

I've tried waving my hand in front of my DQG Tiny, though, as suggested in the thread below, but don't seem to get an indications that PWM is present when using 10440s:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...t-is-it-How-does-it-work-and-how-to-detect-it

Also this post on a different forum suggests that even the older DQGs use current control. NOT PWM:

http://budgetlightforum.com/comment/150542#comment-150542

I'm aware of the potential dangers of using unprotected Li-Ion cells, though the Efests are IMR Li-Mn batteries, which I understand are a little bit safer, and I will monitor the charge levels with my multimeter. Also my XTAR charger has a digital display of voltage too, and 3 rates of charging - so I'll be using the lowest charging rate (0.25A) with the 10440s.

joelbnyc

Enlightened
So my Efest 10440 batteries don't work in my newly arrived Tiny AAA XP-G2 R5 from cnqualitygoods. The light is pretty good on an eneloop but disappointed that my Efests don't work. They're good in my Ultratac K18.

I realize now I accidentally bought Efest Flat Tops.

Perhaps ill either try to use some hack, carve out some of the rubber gasket near the contact on the Tiny head, or just buy some generic 10440s that appear to have normal size button tops.

Last edited: