VC4 not detecting or charging flat top samsungs

Liber8

Newly Enlightened
I have two new Samsung 18650 flat tops that my VC4 does not detect. I made sure that both ends are making contact with the charger. Even waited 5 minutes as Xtar said it takes 5 mins for flat tops to be detected. My Nitecore D2 recognizes and charge these batteries right away. Any idea what might be going on? The VC4 has no problems with button top 18650, just the flat tops. Maybe these samsungs have a problem like a short? Wouldnt the Xtar say something like "error"

HKJ

Flashaholic
I have two new Samsung 18650 flat tops that my VC4 does not detect. I made sure that both ends are making contact with the charger. Even waited 5 minutes as Xtar said it takes 5 mins for flat tops to be detected. My Nitecore D2 recognizes and charge these batteries right away. Any idea what might be going on? The VC4 has no problems with button top 18650, just the flat tops. Maybe these samsungs have a problem like a short? Wouldnt the Xtar say something like "error"

If the flattop is well below the paper around the top, the charger may not make connection to the cell. This depends on the exact shape of the plus connection on the charger.

Liber8

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the tips. As it turns out my Nitecore D2 must charge well beyond 4.2v and the Xtar can't detect a battery already at or above 4.2v
My Saumsung cells can be charged to 4.35v. After draining them for an hour in a flashlight the Xtar could detect them. I didnt realize the Xtar could not detect full cells.