Tk75vnQ70 vs TN36UTvn

outofthedarkness

Enlightened
Which of the above vinhs lights are the best or most impressive?

Looking for some serious flood with good throw and max lumens/lux for the Ultimate wow factor and something that will not be outdated anytime soon.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't say what won't be outdated soon, because I can't see past the horizon.

Best.... in what way? Size? Weight? Cost? Throw? Power?

Size: The TN36UT is much better.

Weight: Same as above.

Cost: Same as above.

Throw: The Tk75vnQ70 is better.

Power: Same as above.

Most impressive.... beam profile? Same as above.

You can also email Vinh, and ask him. He will be glad to answer. :)

ven

Flashaholic
Well no such thing again as best as subjective .

The tn36UTvn is more compact and a nice solid light
The Q70 has 4 X xhp70's instead of 3= more output
So 4 reflectors of the Q v the UT' 3

Around 13k V 15k(sure higher still with some measurements of late)

The Q70 will reach out a little further and not sure if it will flood a little wider with the larger head or not due to reflefor sizes. The heat dissipation will be better on the Q70 due to larger/mass.
The wall of light is very impressive with the Q70!

The tn36UT UI is great, the Q70 has drivervnx2 so more mode group options to suit your wants/needs.
The Q70 can be used with run time kits(with standard carriers ) to double or triple run time. So from 4 cells to 8 or 12 (think no more than 3 kits are recomended ).

In a nut shell , so 13k to 15k+ is a little bump to the eye, not enough IMHO to buy one light over another. Consider costs, form factor and UI as neither light will be running at 100% for long!

I prefer the tk75 host over the coke can tn36, that's subjective though . I also like drivervnx2 a lot , nice just to have simple mode groups. Both UI's are very good though!

Either will impress you, the form and UI along with cost would help factor towards my decision .

outofthedarkness

Enlightened
Thanks again. The wealth of info you have is massive. I ain't going to lie. I prefer the Q70. Its just like $250 more. Is there any other lights ive missed out?

I think I prefer the bigger lights to the coke can lights

outofthedarkness

Enlightened
Thanks Rich. Im going for power, throw, max lumens/lux and brightness and wow factor. I want a wall of light which throws decent. I really like the Q70 spec 3 but I don't know why its so expensive compared to the others.

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Rich. Im going for power, throw, max lumens/lux and brightness and wow factor. I want a wall of light which throws decent. I really like the Q70 spec 3 but I don't know why its so expensive compared to the others.

First of all, vinh talked about it in the past video that he dont get big discount from fenix brand. Fenix are harder to modify compare to thrunute tn36utvn. Fenix is one of the top light manufacure.

but anyway, its up to u whatever lights u choose to go with.. Tk75vn have driver vnx2, and tn36utvn doesnt.. With driver vn, u can choose any mode you want from a single mode to multiple mode.

Eagtac mx25l4cvnt is your another option $300, k60vn $220.

ven

Flashaholic
P. S whats the engraving around the bezel on your Q70?

Crazy random engraving

Even a little on the strap attachment

$250 is a lot of difference , you would be happy with the UTvn! Choices choices and it won't be your last light anyway :laughing: You will be back for more, so get one now and ponder later over the next ;-)

outofthedarkness

Enlightened
Ven I like that engraving who done that? I think deep down I want the Q70 but don't want to pay that much for it. I may get the 36ut. I need to watch more videos. Its hard to tell tho with the video stepping down. Which out of the two give more flood. Which do u prefer as u have both? Is your Q70 spec 3 the more floody one?

ven

Flashaholic
As per here
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?406724-TK75vnQ-Best-Searchlight

The Q is 5000lm it uses xml2 PDT(throw version with lots of spill)
The Q70 is named after the xhp70 as it has 4 of them in hence 15k + with carrier mod.

I have the tn36vn with MKR leds(like them a lot) and only 8400lm!

The tn36 is more a go to ligt and often gets used in moon mode(ironically) to light the bed room up dimly :naughty: However it has been taken camping and out n about for walks......fantastic light!

The Q70 tbh blows it out of the water, it is actually too bright indoors when testing it. Outside it lights a field up to 150m easily and across . It's a monsterous wall of light , the larger and deeper reflectors over the UT help here.

Different beasts

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Now, all i can say is as an example, i did not go for the rc40vnF(Flood version with 6x xhp70's @20k lm) because i have the Q70 version at 15k and 4x xhp70's(and its floodier although not as bright obviously). So i decided on the T version, for shear output and throw............

My point, if i had a UTvn at 13k, i would not go for a Q70 at 15k..............even though the Q70 is brighter, will reach out more(as the rc40 version will against the Q70 version). There is just not enough in it for me to want it. Besides, 13k or 15k or 20k believe or not is close to the eye............On the Q70 to go 50% to 70% to 100% is just a little bump up in output to the eye as it takes 4x the lumens to roughly appear twice as bright! So for your 10k lumen light to look twice as bright to the eye, your looking at 40k lumens.................

Vinh did the engraving, he asked if i wanted crazy engraving and said no, maybe a little on bezel or something. I also like his heat treated bezels too.............adds a different and nice touch to the light, as does the v54 engraving...........all subjective!

Your pondering too much on the Q70 cost, so leave it out as its not worth the pondering imho, you either want or if not sure leave it!

The UTvn will blow away anything your used to anyway and will put a huge grin on your face, more importantly its a lot of useful light and not just for grins. So you will get your money out of it. The savings put towards a different type in the future, maybe a nice EDC type what would get used daily. Maybe into p60 drop ins as so many options , tints , flood, throw etc etc and lots of host options...............endless!!! and great fun, 4000lm in your pocket never grows old, lots of hi cri tint does not either. All stuff that will make sense later............

outofthedarkness

Enlightened
Now, all i can say is as an example, i did not go for the rc40vnF(Flood version with 6x xhp70's @20k lm) because i have the Q70 version at 15k and 4x xhp70's(and its floodier although not as bright obviously). So i decided on the T version, for shear output and throw............

My point, if i had a UTvn at 13k, i would not go for a Q70 at 15k..............even though the Q70 is brighter, will reach out more(as the rc40 version will against the Q70 version). There is just not enough in it for me to want it. Besides, 13k or 15k or 20k believe or not is close to the eye............On the Q70 to go 50% to 70% to 100% is just a little bump up in output to the eye as it takes 4x the lumens to roughly appear twice as bright! So for your 10k lumen light to look twice as bright to the eye, your looking at 40k lumens.................

Vinh did the engraving, he asked if i wanted crazy engraving and said no, maybe a little on bezel or something. I also like his heat treated bezels too.............adds a different and nice touch to the light, as does the v54 engraving...........all subjective!

Your pondering too much on the Q70 cost, so leave it out as its not worth the pondering imho, you either want or if not sure leave it!

The UTvn will blow away anything your used to anyway and will put a huge grin on your face, more importantly its a lot of useful light and not just for grins. So you will get your money out of it. The savings put towards a different type in the future, maybe a nice EDC type what would get used daily. Maybe into p60 drop ins as so many options , tints , flood, throw etc etc and lots of host options...............endless!!! and great fun, 4000lm in your pocket never grows old, lots of hi cri tint does not either. All stuff that will make sense later............

I know this makes no sense but on Vinhs demo videos on youtube the Q70 looks alot brighter than the Rc40vn. I have no idea why, but if you have a look and compare the two on video at least the Q70 wins for me.

I have no idea what p60 means or hi cri tint, where do I learn about this stuff, I feel so dumb! lol

ven

Flashaholic
Dont go off the vids fully, its just an idea of the output/beam, the rc40vnF overwhelms the camera which often auto balances down, so what you see is a lot dimmer than in real life.

p60 is a format, they are drop ins(an engine/led/reflector) which fit in hosts(empty flashlight like a 6p or c2 or solarforce or anything p60 compatible). Various LEDS, tints/drivers, optics with triples and quads, or mules etc. You can basically swap around the p60 for different ones .
6p with a cryos bezel from oveready(check them out) with a nichia triple which brings on to hi cri,

cri-colour rendering index(more to it but keeping simple). The higher the cri(up to 100 from the sun) the better colours are represented. So hi cri leds like the nichia 219B, will have usually over 90+ cri, sometimes more.................these show colours a lot better than a cool white xml2 that might be 60 or 70 cri(example).
Different hosts, bezels , tail caps

3 drop ins(p60s)
Nichia 219C mule around 5000k, nichia 219B triple with optics, around 4500k and an xp-g2 mule, around 6000k(cool white so colours are a little washed out)

p60s, both quads, one xpg2 5000k , the other xol HI 5000k, these are the engines(p60) that fit into the light body, then head over the drop in(p60/drop in)

More hosts, surefire 6p and c2

Thats just the basic bit, but pretty much in a nut shell, you can have hi cri leds in your vinh lights, nice tint and awesome colour rendition instead of ghostly washed out colours............

Just buy a Q70 then and be done :laughing:

outofthedarkness

Enlightened
Wow Ven, you are the most active member on this forum - how do you do it? You should become a mod for this place!

Now you got my attention! Them lights are so nice. I want that copper one with the crenulated bezel (L2t or something) its gorgeous! Please let me know what this light is!

I think your right Q70 is on the cards!

ven

Flashaholic
The copper is a copper cryos bezel, the light that is on is just an L2T stainless(solarforce about $40 right now, bezel maybe $80 or something).

Here is a p60vn quad

Hosts and drop in mix up

Copper tape around the p60 to aid heat transfer(snug fit in host as can vary)

Black cryos on an L2T

Couple of stainless edition L2T and cryos bezels

my baby, custom bored c2 with trits, larger m2 size cryos bezel

The cryos lego with other compatible lights

My other baby

xhp70 drop in, wall of very nice tinted light

Sportac do a great value nichia triple to start you off, i went for the 2 mode(do a single as well but too much for constant use). 20% and 100% for the 2 mode, lovely 4500 hi cri tint of flood

My special made x40vnTQ, with 12 xpl's(triple quad)

Little digression :laughing:

outofthedarkness

Enlightened
Ven if you had to pick just one V54 light out of all your collection to keep forever and forget about the rest which one would it be?

ven

Flashaholic
Those questions are not allowed and end up with an instant ban:nana:

Just impossible to answer for 1, the special light is the x40vn Fiat Lux that only Jon has the other one in the world(and that is a little different, so really its a 1 off). Infinite control ring UI and a wall of beautiful flood
This is my tn36vn

x40vn triple quad

Can get no where the flood on the phone, its just a small glimpse of it!

I have a lot of love for the k60vn, also the rc40vnT as its just a beast in every way.

The Q70 is my brightest light, one of my fav larger hosts is the tk75, just a classic light, so flexible for mods, great heat sinking due to the mass and flexible for run time kits...........and fenix build!

So then what, special pd35vnQ with 4x xpl's in, 2x 5000k and 2x 6500k which mixes very nice for a cool/neutral tint.

I love vinhs p60s that get the most use out of all!!

So i cant answer 1 light really, the x40vn i guess would be the one, but not easy at all

Vinh lights are a part of the family, like asking me i have to keep 1 of my kids, which one :laughing: