Thoughts on Fenix HL50

ktsl

Newly Enlightened
First off, I love sports climbing, and my thoughts are based on my outdoors experiences only. I love this little headlamp, and I use it a LOT. It finds its home on my helmet now:) Here are some personal thoughts:
1. I'd prefer the screw thread to be anodized also. This way you can loosen the tail cap by a slight turn to have a physical "lock-out".
2. A double-spring configuration is better for impact resistance. (This takes away the physical reverse-polarity protection, but still)
3. I wish it had a beacon mode! (No strobe is great.)
4. Maybe it's too much to ask, but it'd be great if it has 3.7V 16340 compatibility.
5. Maybe an electronic lock-out? I gotta say it had never accidentally turned on in my backpack. But just for the peace of mind.
6. A 1 lumen moonlight mode would be nice.
7. Missing battery capacity indicator.
8. Well, I hate rubber so I wish it could have a metal switch.

Things that definitely should carry on to the next version:
1. Fantastic seperable design. I love it that you can use it as a torch.
2. LED on one end. Very inconvenient to use it as a flashlight if the LED was in the middle.
3. AA compatibility is great.
4. The stainless metal holder is awesome. Kudos to the design. Easy to attatch/detach. The added metal ring makes it super secure. I have another headlamp with a rubber holder. That holder becomes stiff and wears fast at extremely low temperatures. Stainless holder is great.
5. Lightweight! The reason I got it in the first place.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
One of the best hiking 1xAA. The medium mode is nearly perfect in terms of runtime, output, beam and tint for working rough ground with 1XAA. One downside the metal gets cold against the head during winter if not worn over a hat. Seriously considering a Thru hike aka 2160 miles. The Fenix HL50 along with a 4/7 Quark as of right now would be my combo. Start with some CR123 end with AA for both.

ktsl

Newly Enlightened
One of the best hiking 1xAA. The medium mode is nearly perfect in terms of runtime, output, beam and tint for working rough ground with 1XAA. One downside the metal gets cold against the head during winter if not worn over a hat. Seriously considering a Thru hike aka 2160 miles. The Fenix HL50 along with a 4/7 Quark as of right now would be my combo. Start with some CR123 end with AA for both.

Seconded on the tint! I like it too, not cold, not too warm. I think Fenix have rubber holder for sale separately.

Right now I am looking at nitecore HC30w, if you are also interested. It seems to have almost everything I need, good mode spacing, moonlight, beacon mode. And it's very lightweight, with a 18650 it actually weighs very similar to a fenix hl50 with cr123. I am just not so sure about the tint though.

Taz80

Enlightened
I just picked up 2 HC30 neutrals, they are nice lights and I really like the U.I. In real life use I think it's U.I. is as good as the Zebralight, and for some applications even better. The tint has a slight greenish tinge, but, for the most part, I only notice it when comparing it to my SC62w or any of my other neutral lights. The headband isn't as nice as the Zebra either, but the HC30 is alot cheaper. The tint on my HL50 is better than my HC30, really my only complaint with the HL50 is the lack of a lockout. I keep it in a plastic box with the tail cap almost off until I need it.

Last edited:

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
It 'a good Headlamp.
I wonder why Felix has not produced an identical light but with a 18650 battery

ktsl

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up 2 HC30 neutrals, they are nice lights and I really like the U.I. In real life use I think it's U.I. is as good as the Zebralight, and for some applications even better. The tint has a slight greenish tinge, but, for the most part, I only notice it when comparing it to my SC62w or any of my other neutral lights. The headband isn't as nice as the Zebra either, but the HC30 is alot cheaper. The tint on my HL50 is better than my HC30, really my only complaint with the HL50 is the lack of a lockout. I keep it in a plastic box with the tail cap almost off until I need it.

Thanks for sharing your experience! Just to be sure, do you have the HC30 or the HC30w?